The Five Towns Premier Rehab & Nursing Center is a senior living facility in Woodmere, New York. The city has a total of 13,328 people. We gave this facility an overall grade of B-. A score of this caliber requires some solid marks. This nursing home has a few things going for it. The best part of this nursing home's profile was its stellar inspection score. We discuss inspections in the next paragraph.
The Five Towns Premier Rehab & Nursing Center
Updated May 1, 2022 by Sara Levinsohn
1050 Central Avenue,
Woodmere NY 11598
81.6% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to being a respectable nursing home overall, this place also excelled in the category of inspections, where it received an A. Few facilities performed better in this area. Inspection scores account for several factors found on a nursing home's inspection report. One of the most important criteria we consider is the number and severity of deficiencies. Facilities with better scores in this category usually have very few of these severe deficiencies. While this facility had a few deficiencies on its report, none of them were major deficiencies based on CMS' deficiency scale. Keep in mind that deficiency-free inspections are uncommon in this industry.
Long-term Care Quality
This facility also received a strong long-term care score. Indeed, we awarded them a B in that category, which happens to be one of our more favorable scores. Nursing homes that do well in this category typically are well-staffed and provide extensive hands on care to patients. In addition to considering the volume of care provided by nurses and other staff, we analyzed the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility provided the vaccine to 99.757576 percent of its patients, which is far higher than the average nursing home. This nursing home also keeps its patients out of the hospital. While it had 2.85 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, its risk adjusted metric was better than most facilities since it had more complex patients.
Does this page answer your questions about The Five Towns Premier Rehab & Nursing Center?
Short-term Care Quality
We also gave this facility a solid score in the area of short-term care, with a B-. Our short-term care grade is generally employed to measure a facility's performance with rehabilitation In order to provide highly rated rehabilitation services, facilities generally need to provide better levels of highly skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing includes registered nurses, physical therapists, respiratory therapists and other licensed professionals. This nursing home is above average in terms of its volume of physical therapy and registered nurse staffing provided to its patients. These are generally good indicators of quality short-term care. Lastly, we assessed the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. It outperformed the majority of nursing homes in the country in this area with 51.1 percent of its patients returning home. This is a better rate than most facilities.
The next category we looked at is nursing, proved to be this facility's worst category. We awarded this facility a grade of D in this category. This really is one of just a couple of weak links in an otherwise impressive profile. When calculating our nursing ratings, we assess both nursing hours and the skill levels of the nurses. We do not think quantity of care is the reason for this places poor nursing score. With 3.9 hours of nursing care per resident daily, this nursing home actually surpassed the national average. Despite performing well in terms of nursing hours, this facility was a bit less impressive in some of the quality-based measures we looked at in determining our nursing ratings. We looked at the percent of residents sustaining pressure ulcers and found that this facility was at roughly 150 percent of the national average in this statistic. This is likely a bad sign when you consider that many bed sores are believed to be preventable with better nursing care. Unfortunately, this statistic pulled down this facility's nursing grade substantially.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
The Five Towns Premier Rehab & Nursing Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In The Five Towns Premier Rehab & Nursing Center, 9.64% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This metric gauges the percent of long-term care patients that are suffering from pressure ulcers. We find that pressure ulcers are an indicator of nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In The Five Towns Premier Rehab & Nursing Center, 3.1% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of residents who sustained a fall resulting in severe injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In The Five Towns Premier Rehab & Nursing Center, 2.09% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint indicates the percent of long-term patients who experienced urinary tract infections. UTI's may be a sign of a facility with lower levels of hygiene. However, this metric may be misleading for certain nursing homes due to varying reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In The Five Towns Premier Rehab & Nursing Center, 11.62% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents who were administered antipsychotic drugs. High levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior in scenarios where such medications aren't medically required. However, some facilities may need to rely more on these drugs due to having more residents with cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In The Five Towns Premier Rehab & Nursing Center, 13.11% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic measures the percent of long-term residents taking antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In The Five Towns Premier Rehab & Nursing Center, 13.02% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients exhibiting symptoms of depression. Many in the industry argue this is a reliable measure of resident quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In The Five Towns Premier Rehab & Nursing Center, 92.45% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term care patients who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In The Five Towns Premier Rehab & Nursing Center, 14.69% Percentage of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term care patients that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as getting dressed and continence. Many in the industry argue that this is a measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In The Five Towns Premier Rehab & Nursing Center, 18.9% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percent of patients who were able to retain mobility over time. Optimizing mobility is usually a good sign for residents' health.
In The Five Towns Premier Rehab & Nursing Center, 1.2 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care. There is typically a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and the quality of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In The Five Towns Premier Rehab & Nursing Center, 18.9 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In The Five Towns Premier Rehab & Nursing Center, 8.78 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In The Five Towns Premier Rehab & Nursing Center, 74.53% Percentage of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term stay patients that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
- St John's Episcopal Hospital at South ShoreAcute Care Hospitals 3.34 miles away327 Beach 19th Street Far Rockaway New York 11691Voluntary non-profit - Church(718) 869-7000
- Mercy Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.55 miles away1000 North Village Avenue Rockville Centre New York 11570Voluntary non-profit - Private(516) 705-2525
- Jamaica Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.34 miles away89th Avenue and Van Wyck Expressway Richmond Hill New York 11418Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 262-6000
- Creedmoor Psychiatric CenterPsychiatric 7.57 miles away80-45 Winchester Blvd Bldg B Queens Village New York 11427Government - State(718) 264-4000
- Queens Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.64 miles away82-68 164th Street Jamaica New York 11432Government - Local(718) 883-3000
- Nyu Winthrop HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.4 miles away259 First Street Mineola New York 11501Voluntary non-profit - Private(516) 663-0333
- Flushing Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.18 miles away45th Avenue and Parsons Boulevard Flushing New York 11355Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 670-5000
- North Shore University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.28 miles away300 Community Drive Manhasset New York 11030Voluntary non-profit - Private(516) 562-0100
- Woodmere Dialysis LLC0.01 miles awayFive Towns Premier Nursing and Rehabilitation 1050 Central Avenue Woodmere New York 11598Dialysis Stations: 14 (516) 791-5277
- Davita Lynbrook Dialysis Center2.06 miles away147 Scranton Avenue Lynbrook New York 11563CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (516) 596-4101
- West Nassau Dialysis Ctr, Inc2.2 miles away75 Rockaway Avenue Valley Stream New York 11580CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (516) 823-4444
- Peninsula Continuum Services LLC2.99 miles away50-15 Beach Channel Drive Far Rockaway New York 11691Dialysis Stations: 20 (718) 734-2190
- Springfield Dialysis Center3.22 miles away134-35 Springfield Boulevard Springfield Gardens New York 11413CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (718) 978-1233
- Rockaway Hd LLC3.3 miles away529 Beach 20th Street Far Rockaway New York 11691Dialysis Stations: 16 (718) 327-4503
- Marjorie Basser Dialysis Center3.37 miles awaySt. John's Episcopal Hospital 327 Beach 19th Street, Dialysis Unit Far Rockaway New York 11691Dialysis Stations: 15 (718) 869-7637
- South Nassau Outpatient Dialysis Center3.92 miles away3618 Oceanside Road Oceanside New York 11572CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (516) 255-8000