The Estates of Spanish Lake is a large nursing home in Saint Louis, Missouri. This nursing home was given an extremely poor overall rating based on the data we looked at. Fortunately, if you aren't impressed with this facility, there are countless other options available in this city. More information on this nursing home's category grades may be found below. Its best category was long-term care, which is addressed in the next paragraph.
The Estates of Spanish Lake
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
Note: The Estates of Spanish Lake has been flagged for abuse in the past 12 months. We have capped this facility's overall grade accordingly.
Registered Staff Hours
Long-term Care Quality
We didn't have any favorable things to say about this nursing home's overall grade or its category grades. Its best category was long-term care. Nevertheless, with a D in this category, it still performed badly. When facilities receive this type of grade in this category it is typically a bad sign for patient care and it may indicate that the facility is not as well-staffed with nurses and aids. In addition to assessing the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we looked at the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility vaccinated 57.692307 percent of its residents. This is many points below what we expected. Surprisingly, this place actually fared well at keeping its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had just 0.07 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days. This is its best feature in this category.
We gave this facility a grade of just D for our nursing rating and that actually turned out to be its second highest score. Our nursing score is primarily tied to the facility's level of nurse staffing. This nursing home offered a meager 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient daily. This is well below average. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing ratings. This place performed well when it comes to minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these metrics to be reliable measures of the quality of nursing care.
Does this page answer your questions about The Estates of Spanish Lake?
Short-term Care Quality
In addition, we gave this nursing home an F in the category of short-term care. In determining our short-term care scores, we scrutinize the facility's levels of highly skilled nursing services, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists speech therapists and other licensed professionals. This rating is typically a useful assessment of the facility's rehabilitation. Based on its grade in this area, we weren't stunned to find that this facility is well below average in terms of the quantity of physical therapy and registered nurse hours offered to its residents based on the figures we assessed. Frankly, this was what we expected here. Finally, we considered the percentage of patients who who were able to eventually return home from this facility. This facility didn't fare well here either. In fact, we found that just 0 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home.
Turning our last category of inspections, this facility received an F in this area. For facilities with poor inspection scores, you should really focus on any severe deficiencies found on their recent inspection reports. This nursing home was hit with 6 deficiencies by government inspectors. The only favorable thing we found is that none of these deficiencies were in the categories that suggest they created a threat to patient health or safety. Finally, CMS flagged this nursing home for possible abuse or neglect. This is not what you want to see. We advise you to direct your search elsewhere.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
The Estates of Spanish Lake Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In The Estates of Spanish Lake, 9.28% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of patients that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, which are also called bed sores, are often caused by patients staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In The Estates of Spanish Lake, 3.89% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of patients that have had a fall which caused major injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In The Estates of Spanish Lake, 3.39% of Patients had UTIs
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term patients who suffered from urinary tract infections. While more infections may reflect poorly on a nursing home's hygiene protocols, it can be problematic to compare different facilities due to differing reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In The Estates of Spanish Lake, 20.47% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This measures the percent of long-term stay residents receiving antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs serve an important medical purpose, it is important to confirm these drugs are being used only where medically required. In limited situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In The Estates of Spanish Lake, 24.32% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint gauges the percent of long-term stay patients receiving antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In The Estates of Spanish Lake, 4.19% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients exhibiting symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In The Estates of Spanish Lake, 88.53% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term care patients that were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for nursing home patients, making these vaccines critical to patient care.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In The Estates of Spanish Lake, 14.79% Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term care patients that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as getting dressed and using the bathroom.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In The Estates of Spanish Lake, 14.68% Percentage of Residents
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents who were able to retain mobility. Some experts would argue that mobility is critical to patients health.
In The Estates of Spanish Lake, 1.7 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In The Estates of Spanish Lake, 14.68 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term resident care. Staying out of the hospital during rehabilitation is important to restoring the health of residents.
Scores for Saint Louis, MO
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Saint Louis, Missouri has 47 other nursing homes
- Christian Hospital Northeast-NorthwestAcute Care Hospitals 3.04 miles away11133 Dunn Road Saint Louis Missouri 63136Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 653-5000
- Gateway Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.68 miles away2100 Madison Avenue Granite City Illinois 62040Voluntary non-profit - Other(618) 798-3000
- Ssm Health Saint Louis University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.18 miles away3635 Vista Ave Saint Louis Missouri 63110Proprietary(314) 577-8000
- Ssm Health St Mary's Hospital - St LouisAcute Care Hospitals 12.12 miles away6420 Clayton Rd Saint Louis Missouri 63117Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 768-8000
- Anderson HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13 miles away6800 State Route 162 Maryville Illinois 62062Voluntary non-profit - Private(618) 288-5711
- Ssm Health Depaul Hospital St LouisAcute Care Hospitals 13.61 miles away12303 Depaul Drive Bridgeton Missouri 63044Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 344-6000
- St Alexius HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.67 miles away3933 S Broadway Saint Louis Missouri 63118Proprietary(314) 865-7000
- Touchette Regional Hospital IncAcute Care Hospitals 14.8 miles away5900 Bond Avenue East Saint Louis Illinois 62207Voluntary non-profit - Private(618) 332-3060
- North County Kidney Care Dialysis1.97 miles away1554 Sierra Vista Plz Saint Louis Missouri 63138CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (314) 438-0864
- North County Dialysis Center2.93 miles away272 Mayfair Drive Florissant Missouri 63033Dialysis Stations: 16 (314) 859-1234
- Davita - Foxpoint Dialysis3.75 miles away1300 Schaefer Rd. Suite J Granite City Illinois 62040Dialysis Stations: 12 (618) 451-8730
- Chambers Dialysis3.96 miles away10241 Lewis & Clark Boulevard Saint Louis Missouri 63136CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (314) 868-5982
- Fmc - St Louis Northeast4.57 miles away2840 Target Dr Saint Louis Missouri 63136Dialysis Stations: 12 (314) 355-1322
- Davita - Granite City Dialysis Center4.85 miles away9 American Village Granite City Illinois 62040CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (618) 452-5858
- Florissant Dialysis5.32 miles away10887 W Florissant Rd Saint Louis Missouri 63136CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (314) 524-5737
- Metro St Louis Dialysis Center, LLC5.47 miles away10160 W Florissant Saint Louis Missouri 63136Dialysis Stations: 16 (314) 869-4978