Located in Excelsior, Minnesota, The Estates at Excelsior is one of a mere two nursing homes there. Featuring an overall rating of B+, this nursing home should work for most people. Based on our assessment, this nursing home looks like a good fit for most people. Fortunately, this place did not have any poor grades in any of the major categories discussed below. Additional information about its category grades can be found below.
The Estates at Excelsior
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
To go along with its strong overall grade, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A- for our inspections rating. Inspection grades account for several factors included in a nursing home's inspection report. One key criteria we look at is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. Nursing homes with better scores in this area usually have very few of these severe deficiencies. While this place had some deficiencies on its inspection report, none were serious based on CMS' scale. Remember that deficiency-free inspections are rare in the industry.
One of the other reasons we graded this nursing home so highly is that it earned a very impressive nursing rating. In that category, we gave this nursing home a grade of A-. Our nursing grade is based on the nursing home's level of nurse staffing. We consider both the levels of skill of those nurses as well as the amount of time spent with residents. This particular nursing home provided 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This facility performed very well in the area of minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Does this page answer your questions about The Estates at Excelsior?
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home also received a strong short-term care grade. In fact, we gave it an above average grade of B+ in this area. Our short-term care grades are based on a nursing home's quantity of skilled nursing services. This includes a vast scope of services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, in addition to other forms of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not every facility employs these types of nurses. However, according to the data they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Finally, we looked at the number of patients that returned home from this nursing home. We found that 5.1 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
Long-term Care Quality
Turning to the fourth category, this facility was given a respectable long-term care score. Even though this isn't nearly as impressive as some of its other category grades, this is truly not the end of the world. In a long-term care setting, the facility's primary goal is to maintain residents' quality of life and keep them safe. On top of considering the volume of care provided by nurses and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. Fortunately, this nursing home vaccinated 99.12281 percent of its residents, which is an above average percentage. This facility keeps its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
The Estates at Excelsior Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In The Estates at Excelsior, 6.84% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This metric gauges the percent of long-term stay patients that have new or worsened pressure ulcers. We've found that pressure ulcers are a reliable measure of a facility's nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In The Estates at Excelsior, 4.32% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of residents that suffered from a major fall. Falls leading to severe injury are often caused by lower quality nursing care. Closer supervision minimizes the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In The Estates at Excelsior, 2.81% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term residents who have sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's could be an indicator of a nursing home with worse hygiene protocols. However, this statistic could be skewed for certain facilities due to different reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In The Estates at Excelsior, 16.37% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients given antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic drugs are prescribed to patients for a variety of conditions, including cognitive disorders. Tragically, in some cases, increased usage of these drugs may indicate a facility is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In The Estates at Excelsior, 12.17% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents prescribed antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety drugs are prescribed to residents experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In The Estates at Excelsior, 4.73% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents who are demonstrating depressive symptoms. Some believe this is a measure of resident quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In The Estates at Excelsior, 93.57% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In The Estates at Excelsior, 13.28% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of dependence on staff for assistance with ADL's could be a sign of the decline of a patient's health.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In The Estates at Excelsior, 20.05% Percentage of Residents
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents that were able to retain mobility. Some believe that mobility is critical to residents' mental and physical well-being.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In The Estates at Excelsior, 20.05 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric tracks the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In The Estates at Excelsior, 12.78 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In The Estates at Excelsior, 76.19% Percentage of Resident
Measures the percentage of short-term care residents who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Some experts would argue that this is a measure of a facility's rehabilitation services.
- St Francis Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.32 miles away1455 St Francis Avenue Shakopee Minnesota 55379Voluntary non-profit - Church(952) 403-3000
- Park Nicollet Methodist HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.71 miles away6500 Excelsior Blvd Minneapolis Minnesota 55426Voluntary non-profit - Private(952) 993-5000
- Fairview Southdale HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.2 miles away6401 France Avenue South Minneapolis Minnesota 55435Voluntary non-profit - Private(952) 924-5100
- Ridgeview Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.07 miles away500 South Maple Street Waconia Minnesota 55387Voluntary non-profit - Private(952) 442-2191
- North Memorial HealthAcute Care Hospitals 14 miles away3300 Oakdale North Minneapolis Minnesota 55422Voluntary non-profit - Private(763) 520-5200
- Abbott Northwestern HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 14.87 miles away800 East 28th Street Minneapolis Minnesota 55407Voluntary non-profit - Private(612) 863-4457
- Children's Hospitals & Clinics of MnChildrens 14.92 miles away2525 Chicago Avenue South Minneapolis Minnesota 55404Voluntary non-profit - Private(612) 813-6112
- Hennepin County Medical Center 1Acute Care Hospitals 15.26 miles away701 Park Avenue Minneapolis Minnesota 55415Government - Local(612) 873-3629
- Minnetonka Dialysis of Davita2.62 miles away17809 Hutchins Dr Minnetonka Minnesota 55345Dialysis Stations: 10 (952) 470-9944
- Bio-Medical Applications of Minnesota, Inc.5.12 miles away3000 Hundertmark Rd Suite 6 Chaska Minnesota 55318Dialysis Stations: 12 (952) 443-3191
- Eden Prairie Dialysis of Davita5.39 miles away14852 Scenic Heights Road Suite 255 Eden Prairie Minnesota 55344Dialysis Stations: 12 (952) 934-2411
- Fmc - Plymouth Creek9.11 miles away3007 Harbor Ln N Ste 100 Minneapolis Minnesota 55447Dialysis Stations: 17 (763) 559-0980
- Fms Dialysis - Shakopee9.27 miles away1515 Saint Francis Ave Ste 150 Shakopee Minnesota 55379CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (952) 403-1038
- St Louis Park Dialysis of Davita9.59 miles away3505 Louisiana Ave S Minneapolis Minnesota 55426Dialysis Stations: 28 (952) 285-1400
- Fresenius - St Louis Park Dialysis10.17 miles away5680 36th St W Minneapolis Minnesota 55416Dialysis Stations: 12 (952) 926-0959
- Edina Dialysis of Davita11.32 miles away6565 France Ave S Suite 100 Minneapolis Minnesota 55435Dialysis Stations: 12 (952) 920-8371