With more than 20 facilities to choose from having an address in Minneapolis, Minnesota, The Estates at Bloomington is one of the multitude of choices here. This nursing home turns out to be a respectable facility, with an overall grade of C. We wanted to point out that Minneapolis received a city grade of B+, so you may want to look at some other options in the city as well. The best part of this place's report card is its remarkable nursing rating. We discuss nursing in the next section.
The Estates at Bloomington
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Partnership
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to earning a great overall grade, this facility really excelled in the area of nursing, where it received an A. The nursing rating consists of a handful of factors, however, the most important consideration is the quantity of nurse hours per patient per week. This nursing home provides 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This facility performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a place has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can generally be prevented if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Short-term Care Quality
Additionally, we also wanted to draw your attention to the fact that this nursing home was awarded strong short-term care marks this year. We gave them one of our more favorable scores in this category, with a grade of B. This turned out to be the nursing home's second strongest grade. Our short-term care ratings are arguably more critical for folks needing rehabilitation services. Rehabilitation generally requires higher levels of highly-skilled nursing services. This means not just nursing, but also physical and speech therapy, as well as other variations of therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not every facility employs these skilled professionals. However, based on the data they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Lastly, we looked at the percentage of residents who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 4.3 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about The Estates at Bloomington?
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home was given its next most favorable category score in the category of long-term care. We awarded this facility a grade of C in this category, which is an acceptable score. Long-term care ratings are meaningful for prospective residents requiring personal care. After assessing the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we turned to the nursing home's vaccination statistics. We were pleased to find that this facility vaccinated 99.52607 percent of its patients for pneumonia. This nursing home also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
The final category we assessed was inspections. This facility did not receive favorable government inspection reports in recent years. In fact, we gave it an F in this category. This ended up pulling down this facility's overall grade significantly. With places that received this bad of an inspection rating, we recommend scrutinizing any severe deficiencies on its inspection report. This facility had 8 deficiencies on its inspection report. The only positive thing we can say is that none of these deficiencies were in the categories that suggest they created a risk to resident safety or health. Finally, this facility also received 4 substantiated complaints in recent years. This is yet another bad sign.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
The Estates at Bloomington Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In The Estates at Bloomington, 6.69% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This statistic tells you the percent of long-term stay residents who developed pressure ulcers or bed sores. We consider this statistic when determining both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In The Estates at Bloomington, 4.21% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents who suffered a fall resulting in severe injury. This is one of the statistics we use in computing nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In The Estates at Bloomington, 2.83% of Patients had UTIs
This gauges the percent of long-term care patients who suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's could be an indication of poor nursing care. However, this datapoint can also be skewed for some facilities due to different reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In The Estates at Bloomington, 16.64% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric indicates the percent of long-term care patients which were given antipsychotic drugs. High levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior in scenarios where such drugs are not medically required. Nevertheless, some nursing homes may need to rely on these drugs due to having more patients with cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In The Estates at Bloomington, 12.33% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents taking antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In The Estates at Bloomington, 4.58% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents demonstrating depressive symptoms. High levels of depression could reveal lower quality care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In The Estates at Bloomington, 93.31% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents that have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In The Estates at Bloomington, 13.09% Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients who required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as moving around and using the bathroom.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In The Estates at Bloomington, 18.07% Percentage of Residents
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents that retained mobility levels.
In The Estates at Bloomington, 1.31 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care. Avoiding hospitalizations is critical to preserving the physical health of patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In The Estates at Bloomington, 18.07 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric tracks the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In The Estates at Bloomington, 12.51 Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term care. Avoiding medical emergencies is one way to gauge short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In The Estates at Bloomington, 76.76% Percentage of Resident
This is the percent of short-term care patients who saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Higher levels of performance with activities of daily living typically correlates with higher quality rehabilitation.
Scores for Minneapolis, MN
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Minneapolis, Minnesota has 51 other nursing homes
- Fairview Southdale HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.23 miles away6401 France Avenue South Minneapolis Minnesota 55435Voluntary non-profit - Private(952) 924-5100
- Fairview Ridges HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6 miles away201 East Nicollet Boulevard Burnsville Minnesota 55337Voluntary non-profit - Church(952) 892-2101
- Park Nicollet Methodist HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.48 miles away6500 Excelsior Blvd Minneapolis Minnesota 55426Voluntary non-profit - Private(952) 993-5000
- Abbott Northwestern HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.01 miles away800 East 28th Street Minneapolis Minnesota 55407Voluntary non-profit - Private(612) 863-4457
- Children's Hospitals & Clinics of MnChildrens 8.31 miles away2525 Chicago Avenue South Minneapolis Minnesota 55404Voluntary non-profit - Private(612) 813-6112
- University of Minnesota Medical Center, FairviewAcute Care Hospitals 9.18 miles away2450 Riverside Avenue Minneapolis Minnesota 55454Voluntary non-profit - Private(612) 273-3000
- Hennepin County Medical Center 1Acute Care Hospitals 9.45 miles away701 Park Avenue Minneapolis Minnesota 55415Government - Local(612) 873-3629
- United HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.06 miles away333 North Smith Avenue Saint Paul Minnesota 55102Voluntary non-profit - Private(651) 241-8810
- Bloomington Dialysis of Davita0.94 miles away8591 Lyndale Ave S Minneapolis Minnesota 55420CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (952) 703-5888
- Fmc - Southtown Dialysis2.49 miles away7901 Xerxes Ave S Ste 103 Minneapolis Minnesota 55431Dialysis Stations: 12 (952) 881-6986
- Davita - Richfield3.21 miles away6601 Lyndale Ave South Suite 150 Minneapolis Minnesota 55423Dialysis Stations: 12 (612) 869-2118
- Edina Dialysis of Davita3.49 miles away6565 France Ave S Suite 100 Minneapolis Minnesota 55435Dialysis Stations: 12 (952) 920-8371
- Fmc Dialysis - South Minneapolis6.08 miles away4310 Nicollet Ave Minneapolis Minnesota 55409Dialysis Stations: 12 (612) 822-4411
- Burnsville Dialysis of Davita6.1 miles away501 E Nicollet Blvd Suite 150 Burnsville Minnesota 55337Dialysis Stations: 20 (952) 892-1117
- Eagan Dialysis of Davita6.21 miles away2750 Blue Water Rd, Suite 300 Saint Paul Minnesota 55121Dialysis Stations: 16 (651) 688-0132
- Davita - Uptown6.98 miles away3601 Lyndale Avenue South Minneapolis Minnesota 55409Dialysis Stations: 12 (612) 825-4583