The Elmhurst Healthcare is a facility located in Melrose, Massachusetts. The city has a total of 26,983 people. This facility made our top 500 list of the best facilities in the United States. With more than 15,000 facilities in the nation, this is an impressive list. You really can not do any better than this facility. Scroll down to see this facility's category grades, which also impressed us. You just can't do any better than a straight A report card.
The Elmhurst Healthcare
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- No Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- No Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Top Nursing Home in Massachusetts Awards 2019
Best Nursing Home in Melrose, Massachusetts Awards 2019
Best Nursing Home in Massachusetts Awards 2020
Best Nursing Home in Melrose, Massachusetts Awards 2020
Best Nursing Home in Massachusetts Awards 2021
Best Nursing Home in Melrose, Massachusetts Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
On top of being a great nursing home overall, it also earned A+ government inspections in recent years. Its inspections were virtually flawless. These inspection scores weigh several factors, including deficiencies and substantiated complaints. You can find more information about each of these issues by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. This place was hit with 4 deficiencies on its inspection report, but fortunately none of the deficiencies were considered severe. This tells you that the government inspectors didn't deem any of these deficiencies to pose an imminent risk to resident health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Short-term Care Quality
We also wanted to emphasize the fact that this nursing home fared very well in our short-term care rating. We gave them an elite score of A+ in this category. In calculating our short-term care ratings, we assess the nursing home's levels of skilled nursing, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists occupational therapists and other highly trained professionals. This score is typically a solid measure of the facility's ability to rehabilitate patients. Fortunately, it looks like this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not all facilities employs these skilled professionals. However, based on the data this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The final metric we assessed in this category is the number of residents who ultimately were able to return home from the facility. We found that 6.4 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home as opposed to remaining at the facility on a permanent basis.
Does this page answer your questions about The Elmhurst Healthcare?
To complement its strong performance in other areas, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A+ for our inspections rating. When calculating our nursing ratings, we look at both staffing levels and the training levels of those nurses. This facility provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This facility performed very well in the area of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Long-term Care Quality
In the last category, this nursing home also received an impressive long-term care score, with a grade of A. This wrapped up an elite profile. Facilities that receive this kind of grade in long-term care tend to provide consistent 24/7 care to ensure patients are well cared for. In addition to looking at the volume of care provided by aids and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. We weren't able to locate this facility's vaccination rates. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. It had only 0 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
The Elmhurst Healthcare Quality Metrics
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In The Elmhurst Healthcare, 91.44% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients who were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In The Elmhurst Healthcare, 10.93 Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In The Elmhurst Healthcare, 71.35% Percentage of Resident
Measures the percent of short-term stay patients who experienced functional improvements.
- Melrosewakefield HealthcareAcute Care Hospitals 0.03 miles away585 Lebanon Street Melrose Massachusetts 02176Voluntary non-profit - Private(781) 979-3000
- Winchester HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.98 miles away41 Highland Avenue Winchester Massachusetts 01890Voluntary non-profit - Private(781) 729-9000
- Cambridge Health AllianceAcute Care Hospitals 6.42 miles away1493 Cambridge Street Cambridge Massachusetts 02138Government - Local(617) 665-2300
- Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary -Acute Care Hospitals 6.83 miles away243 Charles Street Boston Massachusetts 02114Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 523-7900
- Massachusetts General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.86 miles away55 Fruit Street Boston Massachusetts 02114Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 726-2000
- Mount Auburn HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.03 miles away330 Mount Auburn Street Cambridge Massachusetts 02138Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 492-3500
- Lahey Hospital & Medical Center, BurlingtonAcute Care Hospitals 7.4 miles away41 & 45 Mall Road Burlington Massachusetts 01803Voluntary non-profit - Private(781) 744-5100
- Tufts Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.75 miles away800 Washington Street Boston Massachusetts 02111Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 636-5000
- North Suburban Dialysis Center (Bma Essex County)2.5 miles awayAugustine Plaza 124 Broadway, Route 1n Saugus Massachusetts 01906CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (781) 233-2877
- Fmc Services of Stoneham3.46 miles away2 Main Street Suite 100 Stoneham Massachusetts 02180CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (781) 279-2454
- Davita Wellington Circle Dialysis Center3.69 miles away10 Cabot Road Suite 103b Medford Massachusetts 02155CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (781) 306-9740
- Medford Dialysis Center (Bma Medford)4.48 miles away305 Mystic Avenue Medford Massachusetts 02155CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 23 (781) 396-9282
- Davita Woburn Dialysis4.73 miles away23 Warren Avenue Woburn Massachusetts 01801Dialysis Stations: 17 (781) 935-7700
- Dci Ball Square4.92 miles away643 Broadway Somerville Massachusetts 02145CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (617) 616-3600
- Massachusetts General Hospital6.65 miles awayDialysis Unit 55 Fruit St, Bigelow 10 Boston Massachusetts 02114Dialysis Stations: 11 (617) 726-3700
- Davita Northeast Cambridge Dialysis6.85 miles away799 Concord Avenue Cambridge Massachusetts 02138CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (617) 547-7700