With an address in Melrose, Massachusetts, The Elmhurst Healthcare is one of just a couple available nursing homes in this area. This nursing home turns out to be an A+ rated facility, which is the most impressive score we offer. Based on our ratings, this nursing home is really as good as it gets. This also proved to be a very consistent nursing home with consistently strong scores in all of the major categories we assessed. Additional information about these categories can be found below.
The Elmhurst Healthcare
Updated May 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
743 Main Street,
Melrose MA 02176
54.22% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
On top of being a first rate facility overall, this nursing home performed well in the area of inspections, where it received a grade of A+. Few facilities fared as well in this category. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in computing our inspection scores. One key factor is health deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of these deficiencies is usually more important than the quantity of deficiencies, as some deficiencies are relatively insignificant. This nursing home was assessed 4 deficiencies on its inspection report, but fortunately none were considered severe. This means that the inspectors did not consider any of the deficiencies to cause an imminent threat to resident health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home also was given an A+ short-term care grade, rendering it one of the few nursing homes to be awarded more than one A+ category grades. Our short-term care ratings are based on the facility's quantity of highly-skilled skilled healthcare professionals. This includes a wide spectrum of services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, in addition to other variations of therapy. Remarkably, this facility provides about one and a half times as many hours of services from registered nurses and physical therapists than most facilities we looked at. This is certainly a great sign. Finally, we looked at the number of residents who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that it outperformed the vast majority of facilities in the nation with 65.6 percent of its residents returning home. This is a significantly higher rate than most facilities.
Does this page answer your questions about The Elmhurst Healthcare?
Adding to its strong resume, this facility also received an excellent nursing score, with a grade of A. Our nursing rating analyzes quite a few subcategories, many of which are based on levels of nurse staffing. This nursing home boasts a really impressive 4.7 hours of nursing care per patient per day, of which a significant portion was provided by registered nurses. This is one of the more highly trained levels of nurses. In addition to offering impressive levels of nursing care, this facility also excelled in the quality measures we looked at. By way of illustration, it performed as well as any facility in the nation in terms of avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls. We view these statistics as good indicators of the quality of nursing care being provided.
Long-term Care Quality
In the final category we scored, this nursing home received a very strong grade of A in our long-term care category. With this score, the nursing home topped off a straight A report card. If you are seeking anything other than rehabilitation, you should take a close look at each nursing home's long-term care grades. One of the factors we considered in addition to nurse's aid hours was vaccinations. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like this facility submitted vaccination data. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
The Elmhurst Healthcare Quality Metrics
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In The Elmhurst Healthcare, 91.59% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents who were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In The Elmhurst Healthcare, 10.96 Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In The Elmhurst Healthcare, 70.74% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percentage of short-term stay patients that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
- Melrosewakefield HealthcareAcute Care Hospitals 0.03 miles away585 Lebanon Street Melrose Massachusetts 02176Voluntary non-profit - Private(781) 979-3000
- Winchester HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.98 miles away41 Highland Avenue Winchester Massachusetts 01890Voluntary non-profit - Private(781) 729-9000
- Cambridge Health AllianceAcute Care Hospitals 6.42 miles away1493 Cambridge Street Cambridge Massachusetts 02138Government - Local(617) 665-2300
- Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary -Acute Care Hospitals 6.83 miles away243 Charles Street Boston Massachusetts 02114Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 523-7900
- Massachusetts General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.86 miles away55 Fruit Street Boston Massachusetts 02114Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 726-2000
- Mount Auburn HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.03 miles away330 Mount Auburn Street Cambridge Massachusetts 02138Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 492-3500
- Lahey Hospital & Medical Center, BurlingtonAcute Care Hospitals 7.4 miles away41 & 45 Mall Road Burlington Massachusetts 01803Voluntary non-profit - Private(781) 744-5100
- Tufts Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.75 miles away800 Washington Street Boston Massachusetts 02111Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 636-5000
- North Suburban Dialysis Center (Bma Essex County)2.5 miles awayAugustine Plaza 124 Broadway, Route 1n Saugus Massachusetts 01906CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (781) 233-2877
- Fmc Services of Stoneham3.46 miles away2 Main Street Suite 100 Stoneham Massachusetts 02180CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (781) 279-2454
- Davita Wellington Circle Dialysis Center3.69 miles away10 Cabot Road Suite 103b Medford Massachusetts 02155CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (781) 306-9740
- Medford Dialysis Center (Bma Medford)4.48 miles away305 Mystic Avenue Medford Massachusetts 02155CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 23 (781) 396-9282
- Davita Woburn Dialysis4.73 miles away23 Warren Avenue Woburn Massachusetts 01801Dialysis Stations: 17 (781) 935-7700
- Dci Ball Square4.92 miles away643 Broadway Somerville Massachusetts 02145CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (617) 616-3600
- Massachusetts General Hospital6.65 miles awayDialysis Unit 55 Fruit St, Bigelow 10 Boston Massachusetts 02114Dialysis Stations: 11 (617) 726-3700
- Davita Northeast Cambridge Dialysis6.85 miles away799 Concord Avenue Cambridge Massachusetts 02138CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (617) 547-7700