Located in Norwood, Massachusetts, The Ellis Nursing Home is one of four available nursing homes in this city. With an overall rating of A-, this facility is ranked among the higher-rated facilities we assessed. We really can not say enough favorable things about this nursing home. This nursing home's impressive profile was highlighted by its inspection grade, which we will address in the next section.
The Ellis Nursing Home
Updated May 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
135 Ellis Avenue,
Norwood MA 02062
67.12% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
On top of earning a strong overall score, this facility performed well in our inspections category, which is based on the facility's inspection reports. In fact, we gave it an A for this category. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in determining our inspection grades. One critical factor is health deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of these deficiencies is arguably more important than the number of deficiencies, as some of these are quite minor. While this nursing home had some minor dings on its government inspection report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are labeled as categories G through L. This tells you the inspectors did not consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
One of the other reasons we rated this nursing home so highly is that it earned a very impressive nursing score. This turned out to be its second best category grade. In that category, we gave this facility an A-. Nursing scores are heavily correlated with levels of nurse staffing. This facility offers extremely high levels of nursing care, averaging 4.1 hours per patient on a daily basis. This is more nursing care than nearly any other facility offers. Finally, this nursing home also performed well in several of the quality-based metrics we looked at. By way of illustration, in terms of the percentage of its patients suffering falls leading to major injury, this nursing home performed as well as any facility in the country. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a nursing home has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can typically be prevented if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Does this page answer your questions about The Ellis Nursing Home?
Long-term Care Quality
This facility was awarded a favorable long-term care grade as well. We awarded it one of our higher grades in that area with a grade of B+. Nursing homes that receive this kind of score in long-term care tend to provide consistent 24/7 care to ensure patients are well cared for. This facility's vaccination statistics lagged a bit behind some of the other statistics in this area, such as its nursing hours data. This nursing home provided the pneumonia vaccine to just 58.876408 percent of its patients. We would like to see some improvement herein this statistic in the future. Although its vaccination rate was a bit lower than we had hoped, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Short-term Care Quality
In the last category, we awarded this facility a grade of A for our short-term care score. This topped off a very strong report card. In the category of short-term care, we seek to evaluate indicators of a nursing home's rehabilitation services. We assess a nursing home's skilled nursing services, including the ones performed by registered nurses and various therapists. One reason for this facility's strong score in this category is that it provides a greater volume of physical therapist hours to its residents than the average nursing home. The final datapoint we looked at in this category is the number of residents who were able to leave the nursing home and return home. This facility was better than average with 49.3 percent of its patients able to return home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
The Ellis Nursing Home Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In The Ellis Nursing Home, 6.42% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of residents that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also referred to as bed sores, are often the result of residents staying in one position for too long. Better nursing protocols minimizes the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In The Ellis Nursing Home, 3.57% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of residents who sustained a major fall. Falls leading to serious injuries are routinely linked to poor nursing care. More supervision limits the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In The Ellis Nursing Home, 2.4% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of patients who have had a urinary tract infection. These infections could be linked to insufficient hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In The Ellis Nursing Home, 19.12% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents prescribed antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs may be vital to many patients, it is important to confirm these medications are being used only where medically required. In some cases, excessive reliance on these medications may indicate that a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In The Ellis Nursing Home, 19% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients receiving antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In The Ellis Nursing Home, 1.96% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term residents who are exhibiting symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In The Ellis Nursing Home, 91.59% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents who were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for seniors, making these vaccines important for resident well-being.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In The Ellis Nursing Home, 15.22% Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as taking medications and continence.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In The Ellis Nursing Home, 19.05% Percentage of Residents
This metric measures the percentage of long-term care patients that maintained mobility. Some argue that the ability to move around is important for residents' physical and mental well-being.
In The Ellis Nursing Home, 1.24 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care. Staying out of the hospital is critical to maintaining the physical well-being of nursing home residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In The Ellis Nursing Home, 19.05 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In The Ellis Nursing Home, 10.96 Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In The Ellis Nursing Home, 70.74% Percentage of Resident
This metric is a measure of the percent of short-term care patients who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Some experts argue that this is a reasonable measure of a nursing home's rehabilitation services.
Scores for Norwood, MA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Norwood, Massachusetts has 3 other nursing homes
- Norwood HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.51 miles away800 Washington Street Norwood Massachusetts 02062Proprietary(781) 769-4000
- Westwood Pembroke Health SystemsPsychiatric 1.93 miles away45 Clapboardtree Street Westwood Massachusetts 02090Proprietary(617) 762-7764
- Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital - NeedhamAcute Care Hospitals 5.5 miles away148 Chestnut Street Needham Heights Massachusetts 02494Voluntary non-profit - Private(781) 453-3002
- Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital-Milton IncAcute Care Hospitals 6.49 miles away199 Reedsdale Road Milton Massachusetts 02186Government - Federal(617) 696-4600
- Brigham and Women's Faulkner HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.25 miles away1153 Centre Street Jamaica Plain Massachusetts 02130Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 983-7000
- Carney HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.9 miles away2100 Dorchester Avenue Dorchester Center Massachusetts 02124Proprietary(617) 506-2000
- Newton-Wellesley HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.21 miles away2014 Washington Street Newton Lower Falls Massachusetts 02462Voluntary non-profit - Other(617) 243-6000
- Good Samaritan Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.76 miles away235 North Pearl Street Brockton Massachusetts 02301Proprietary(508) 427-3000
- Westwood Dialysis Center (Bma Westwood)0.49 miles away90 Glacier Drive Westwood Massachusetts 02090CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (781) 326-9985
- Pure Life Renal of Stoughton, LLC7.09 miles awayMed. Office Bldg Suite m107 907 Sumner Street Stoughton Massachusetts 02072CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (781) 341-8550
- Boston Dialysis Center (Bma Boston)7.93 miles away2100 Dorchester Avenue 1 South Dorchester Center Massachusetts 02124CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (617) 298-2475
- Dci Brigham/Faulkner8.08 miles awayDci Brigham/Faulkner 1153 Centre Street, Belkin House Jamaica Plain Massachusetts 02130CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (617) 983-4470
- Wellesley Dialysis8.13 miles away195 Worcester Street Lower Level Wellesley Hills Massachusetts 02481Dialysis Stations: 18 (781) 431-1414
- Mary Eliza Mahoney Dialysis Center (Bma of Massachusetts)9.34 miles away416 Warren Street Roxbury Massachusetts 02119CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (617) 445-9989
- Davita Brookline Dialysis9.5 miles away322 Washington Street Brookline Massachusetts 02445CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (617) 734-7794
- Saint Elizabeth's Medical Center of Boston9.83 miles awayDialysis Unit - Ccp 7 736 Cambridge Street Brighton Massachusetts 02135Dialysis Stations: 17 (617) 789-2592