With an address in La Jolla, California, The Cove at La Jolla is one of only two facilities there. This nursing home was awarded an A- overall, which is very favorable score. In fact, we ranked this nursing home in the top quarter of all nursing homes in the nation. The best aspect of this facility's impressive report card is its inspection reports. We discuss inspections in the next section
The Cove at La Jolla
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
7160 Fay Avenue,
La Jolla CA 92037
80.67% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- No Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Speech Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Lymphedema Care
Best Nursing Home in La Jolla, California Awards 2019
Best Nursing Home in La Jolla, California Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
To go along with a strong overall score, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A for inspections. Inspection ratings weigh several factors, including deficiencies and substantiated complaints. You can find more information about each of these factors by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. This nursing home received 2 deficiencies on its inspection report, but fortunately none of the deficiencies were considered severe. This means that the government inspectors didn't deem any of the deficiencies an immediate threat to resident safety or health. The fact that the deficiencies were relatively minor made us feel better about this inspection report.
Adding to its strong resume, this facility also received an excellent nursing score, with a grade of A. We assessed the levels of nurses at the nursing home, in addition to the number of hours the nurses worked with residents, in calculating our grade in this area. This nursing home averages 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This facility performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a place has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can many times be avoided if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Does this page answer your questions about The Cove at La Jolla?
Short-term Care Quality
We also wanted to point out the fact that this nursing home was awarded a dominant grade of A- in our short-term care category. Our short-term care grade is typically employed to grade a facility's performance with rehabilitation In order to provide highly scored rehabilitation services, facilities generally need to have higher levels of skilled nursing. These types of services include registered nurses, physical therapists, occupational therapists and other licensed professionals. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not every facility employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, according to the information this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Lastly, we assessed the percentage of patients that eventually returned home from this facility. We found that 5.6 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
Long-term Care Quality
Moving on to our fourth category, this facility was given a respectable long-term care rating. While this is not as dominant as some of its other scores, this is truly not the end of the world. For long-term care residents, the nursing home's primary objective is to keep patients healthy and safe. This is different than skilled nursing or short-term care where the goal is to rehabilitate patients. One of the data points we considered in addition to nurse's aid hours is vaccinations. Thankfully, this facility administered the pneumonia vaccine to 100 percent of its patients. Lastly, this place was also able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had only 0 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
The Cove at La Jolla Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In The Cove at La Jolla, 7.45% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of patients that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also referred to as bed sores, are often the result of patients not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing care can reduce the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In The Cove at La Jolla, 1.7% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure tells you the percent of long-term patients who suffered a fall leading to serious injury. We use this statistic in determining nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In The Cove at La Jolla, 1.24% of Patients had UTIs
This metric is an indication of the percent of long-term residents which experienced a UTI. Although more infections could reflect poorly on a facility's hygiene protocols, it can be difficult to compare different facilities due to facilities having reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In The Cove at La Jolla, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of patients given antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic drugs are given to patients for a variety of medical conditions, including dementia. Sadly, in limited cases, excessive reliance on these medications may mean a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In The Cove at La Jolla, 13.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of residents prescribed antianxiety medications. Antianxiety drugs are given to patients experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In The Cove at La Jolla, 4.64% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term residents who are demonstrating signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In The Cove at La Jolla, 95.44% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents that received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for nursing home patients, making these types of vaccines critical to patient health.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In The Cove at La Jolla, 7.92% Percentage of Patients
This is the percent of patients who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of dependence on staff for assistance with activities of daily living may indicate the decline of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In The Cove at La Jolla, 12.45% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percent of residents that retained mobility levels over time. Optimizing mobility is often a great sign for residents' health.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In The Cove at La Jolla, 12.45 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In The Cove at La Jolla, 9.83 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care. Avoiding emergency medical situations is one way to measure short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In The Cove at La Jolla, 79.79% Percentage of Resident
This is a measure of the percent of short-term residents that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Some believe this is a reliable measure of a nursing home's rehabilitation services.
- Scripps Memorial Hospital La JollaAcute Care Hospitals 4.4 miles away9888 Genesee Avenue La Jolla California 92037Physician(858) 626-4123
- Sharp Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.36 miles away7901 Frost St San Diego California 92123Voluntary non-profit - Private(858) 939-3400
- Uc San Diego Health Hillcrest - Hillcrest Med CtrAcute Care Hospitals 8.51 miles away200 West Arbor Drive San Diego California 92103Voluntary non-profit - Other(619) 543-6222
- Scripps Mercy HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.84 miles away4077 5th Ave San Diego California 92103Voluntary non-profit - Private(619) 294-8111
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - ZionAcute Care Hospitals 10.76 miles away4647 Zion Ave San Diego California 92120Voluntary non-profit - Private(619) 528-5000
- Nmc San DiegoAcute Care - Department of Defense 10.79 miles away34800 Bob Wilson Drive San Diego California 92134Department of Defense(619) 532-6400
- Sharp Coronado Hospital and Hlthcr CtrAcute Care Hospitals 11.65 miles away250 Prospect Place Coronado California 92118Proprietary(619) 435-6251
- Alvarado Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 13.29 miles away6655 Alvarado Road San Diego California 92120Proprietary(619) 229-3172
- Fmc-La Jolla6.74 miles away4765 Carmel Mountain Road, Suite 100 San Diego California 92130Dialysis Stations: 24 (858) 793-0058
- Fmc-Balboa Kearny Mesa Dialysis Center7.05 miles away7927 Ostrow Street, Suite A San Diego California 92111CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (858) 571-0232
- Childrens Hospital of San Diego8.38 miles away3020 Childrens Way, Mc 5115 San Diego California 92123Dialysis Stations: 5 (858) 966-8882
- Fmc-Hillcrest Dialysis8.84 miles away3960 Third Avenue San Diego California 92103CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (619) 299-3900
- Ucsd Dialysis Center10.66 miles awayUcsd Dialysis Center - 200 W. Arbor Drive Dialysis Program, Mail Code 8781 San Diego California 92103CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (619) 543-5646
- Fmc-Rai-Mission Gorge San Diego10.9 miles away7007 Mission Gorge Road, 1st Floor San Diego California 92120CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 33 (619) 229-1070
- Home Dialysis Therapies of San Diego-North12.19 miles away10672 Wexford Street, Suite 250 San Diego California 92131Dialysis Stations: 1 (858) 549-3400
- Davita-Carmel Mountain Dialysis12.35 miles away9850 Carmel Mountain Road, a-D San Diego California 92129CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (858) 538-1083