The Cottage Extended Care is a large nursing home located in Tulsa, Oklahoma. This proved to be a solid facility, with an overall grade of C. This grade is not too far off the city grade for Tulsa, which is a B-. You should also take a look at this facility's category grades below. We discuss short-term care in the next section.
The Cottage Extended Care
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Individual
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Colostomy Care
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
It should also be noted that this facility's short-term care score outperformed its overall score. In fact, we gave it a B+ for short-term care, which is one of our better scores. This really helped its overall score. In computing our short-term care scores, we scrutinize the nursing home's levels of highly skilled nursing services, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists respiratory therapists and other licensed professionals. This grade is considered to be a useful measure of the nursing home's ability to rehabilitate patients. Unfortunately, it does not look like this nursing home submitted information on registered nurse or physical therapist staffing. Lastly, we considered the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 6.5 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
We also wanted to emphasize this place's nearly flawless inspections in recent years. We gave them an impressive grade of B+ in this area. Arguably the most important factor we consider in computing our inspection ratings is deficiencies. Deficiencies can be found on a facility's recent inspection reports. Facilities with better scores in this area typically dodged the most severe deficiencies involving patient abuse or death. While this facility had some minor dings on its report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are ones found in categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This tells you that CMS didn't deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. A few minor deficiencies should not stop you from considering a nursing home.
Does this page answer your questions about The Cottage Extended Care?
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home's next best category was long-term care. We gave it a grade of C in this category. This is basically a middle of the pack score in this category. If you are seeking services other than rehabilitation, you should take a close look at each nursing home's long-term care ratings. After looking at the volume of care provided by nurses and other staff, we then analyzed the nursing home's vaccination record. This nursing home vaccinated 99.57447 percent of its patients for pneumonia, which is better than the average nursing home. Lastly, this nursing home was also able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had only 0.04 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
The final area we analyzed is nursing, which ended up being this facility's worst category. We gave this nursing home a grade of D in this category. When computing our nursing ratings, we assess both nursing hours and the levels of licensure of the nurses. This facility provided a meager 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident each day. This is a very low total compared to most nursing homes. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing scores. This nursing home fared well in the area of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be measures of the quality of nursing care.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
The Cottage Extended Care Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In The Cottage Extended Care, 9.14% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This figure indicates the percentage of long-term care patients who suffered from new or worsened pressure ulcers . We consider this statistic when determining both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In The Cottage Extended Care, 4.58% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of patients that sustained a fall resulting in serious injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In The Cottage Extended Care, 3.45% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint indicates the percentage of long-term residents who have had UTI's. UTI's may be an indicator of lower quality nursing care. However, this datapoint may be skewed for certain nursing homes due to different reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In The Cottage Extended Care, 13.96% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure measures the percent of long-term residents receiving antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs serve an important medical purpose, it is important to ensure these medications are being used appropriately. In some cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate that a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In The Cottage Extended Care, 24.45% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of patients given antianxiety drugs. These drugs are prescribed to residents experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In The Cottage Extended Care, 3.83% of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients who are showing symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In The Cottage Extended Care, 92.26% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients that were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In The Cottage Extended Care, 14.52% Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as moving around and bathing.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In The Cottage Extended Care, 16.45% Percentage of Residents
This metric tracks the percentage of long-term care residents who retained mobility levels. Many argue that mobility is critical to residents' mental and physical well-being.
In The Cottage Extended Care, 1.65 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In The Cottage Extended Care, 16.45 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In The Cottage Extended Care, 15.05 Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care. Avoiding medical emergencies is one way to measure the well-being of patients during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In The Cottage Extended Care, 70.64% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percentage of short-term residents that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Higher levels of autonomy with ADL's often correlates with successful rehabilitation.
Scores for Tulsa, OK
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Tulsa, Oklahoma has 20 other nursing homes
- Southwestern Regional Medical Center, IncAcute Care Hospitals 1.3 miles away10109 East 79th Street Tulsa Oklahoma 74133Proprietary(918) 286-5000
- Hillcrest Hospital SouthAcute Care Hospitals 1.66 miles away8801 South 101st East Avenue Tulsa Oklahoma 74133Proprietary(918) 294-4000
- Shadow Mountain Behavioral Health SystemPsychiatric 1.7 miles away6262 South Sheridan Road Tulsa Oklahoma 74133Proprietary(918) 492-8200
- Saint Francis Hospital South, LLCAcute Care Hospitals 2.18 miles away10501 East 91st Street South Tulsa Oklahoma 74133Voluntary non-profit - Private(918) 307-6000
- Saint Francis Hospital, IncAcute Care Hospitals 2.46 miles away6161 South Yale Tulsa Oklahoma 74136Voluntary non-profit - Private(918) 494-2200
- Oklahoma Surgical Hospital, LLCAcute Care Hospitals 3.9 miles away2408 East 81st Street, Suite 300 Tulsa Oklahoma 74137Physician(918) 477-5095
- St John Broken Arrow, IncAcute Care Hospitals 5.02 miles away1000 West Boise Circle Broken Arrow Oklahoma 74012Voluntary non-profit - Private(918) 994-8100
- Tulsa Spine & Specialty HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.67 miles away6901 South Olympia Avenue Tulsa Oklahoma 74132Proprietary(918) 388-5701
- Davita - Southcrest1.9 miles away10921 East 81st St Tulsa Oklahoma 74133CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (918) 249-8402
- Davita - dt4 Dialysis2.25 miles away4800 West San Antonio Street Broken Arrow Oklahoma 74012Dialysis Stations: 4 (918) 307-1320
- St Francis Hospital-Dialysis2.3 miles away6161 S Yale Ave Tulsa Oklahoma 74136CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (918) 494-5575
- Fkc - Beverly Mathis Memorial Dialysis2.61 miles away5230 S Mingo Rd Tulsa Oklahoma 74146Dialysis Stations: 13 (918) 660-0816
- Fmcna - East Tulsa3.13 miles away5147 S Garnett Rd Ste C Tulsa Oklahoma 74146CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (918) 250-3427
- Fmcna - South Tulsa4.07 miles away8260 S Lewis Tulsa Oklahoma 74137Dialysis Stations: 21 (918) 299-2841
- Fmcna - Richard Medlock4.38 miles away2845 E Skelly Dr Tulsa Oklahoma 74105CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (918) 747-7127
- Davita - Tulsa Dialysis4.47 miles away4436 S Harvard Ave Tulsa Oklahoma 74135Dialysis Stations: 20 (918) 660-0571