The Birches at Trillium Woods is a nursing home in Minneapolis, Minnesota which has a population of 1,022,298 people. With an overall score of A+, this facility is ranked among the highest-graded facilities we assessed. In fact, this facility made our top 500 list of the top facilities in the United States, which is an exclusive list. Scroll down to see this place's category scores, which are equally impressive. You really can't do any better than a straight A profile.
The Birches at Trillium Woods
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Partnership
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
In addition to earning a great overall grade, this nursing home also received an A+ short-term care grade. Our short-term care scores are crucial for prospective residents looking for rehabilitation. Rehabilitation usually mandates additional highly-skilled nursing. This means a wide range of services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, as well as other forms of therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not every facility employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, according to the data this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Lastly, we assessed the percentage of residents who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 7 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
This nursing home also received an A+ for its nursing grade. Nursing grades are largely associated with a facility's nurse staffing. This facility provided 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This place performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a facility has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can often be avoided if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Does this page answer your questions about The Birches at Trillium Woods?
Adding to an already impressive profile, this facility also received virtually flawless health inspections in recent years. As a result, we awarded it an A+ inspection grade. Inspection grades are tied to items found on the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Nursing homes that score well in this category have very few deficiencies on their reports. Most importantly, these places generally do not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
Switching gears to the final area, this nursing home also excelled in the long-term care category. In fact, we gave it a grade of A for that area. This finalized a straight A report card. When facilities receive this kind of score in this category it is usually a good sign for resident care and suggests that the place is well-staffed with nurses and aids. On top of considering the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility administered the vaccine to 98.039215 percent of its patients, which is what we like to see. Pneumonia sadly can be a life threatening condition for nursing home residents so we prefer when a facility does not leave this to chance. Finally, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had only 0 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
The Birches at Trillium Woods Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In The Birches at Trillium Woods, 6.84% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This metric gauges the percent of long-term stay residents who suffered from new or worsened pressure ulcers. We have found that pressure ulcers are a reliable measure of nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In The Birches at Trillium Woods, 4.32% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of patients who have had a major fall. Falls leading to major injury are routinely linked to lower levels of patient supervision. Closer supervision limits the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In The Birches at Trillium Woods, 2.81% of Patients had UTIs
This metric is an indication of the percentage of long-term patients which have experienced urinary tract infections. While more of these infections may reflect poorly on a facility's nursing care, it is problematic to compare different nursing homes due to nursing homes having reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In The Birches at Trillium Woods, 16.37% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure tells you the percent of long-term care residents who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. Increased usage of these drugs may mean that a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents in situations where such drugs are not medically indicated. However, some nursing homes may need to rely on these medications due to an increased number of residents with cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In The Birches at Trillium Woods, 12.17% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term patients taking antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In The Birches at Trillium Woods, 4.73% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients showing symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In The Birches at Trillium Woods, 93.57% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term residents who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for nursing home residents, making these types of vaccines critical to patient well-being.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In The Birches at Trillium Woods, 13.28% Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as moving around and bathing. Some experts would argue that this is a measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In The Birches at Trillium Woods, 20.05% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents that maintained mobility. Some believe that mobility is critical to residents' physical and mental well-being.
In The Birches at Trillium Woods, 1.26 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In The Birches at Trillium Woods, 20.05 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is generally a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In The Birches at Trillium Woods, 12.78 Percentage of Patients
Measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In The Birches at Trillium Woods, 76.19% Percentage of Resident
This is the percent of short-term care patients that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
Scores for Minneapolis, MN
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Minneapolis, Minnesota has 52 other nursing homes
- Maple Grove HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.14 miles away9875 Hospital Drive Osseo Minnesota 55369Voluntary non-profit - Private(763) 581-1000
- North Memorial HealthAcute Care Hospitals 7.72 miles away3300 Oakdale North Minneapolis Minnesota 55422Voluntary non-profit - Private(763) 520-5200
- Mercy HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.81 miles away4050 Coon Rapids Blvd Minneapolis Minnesota 55433Voluntary non-profit - Private(762) 236-8100
- Park Nicollet Methodist HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.47 miles away6500 Excelsior Blvd Minneapolis Minnesota 55426Voluntary non-profit - Private(952) 993-5000
- Hennepin County Medical Center 1Acute Care Hospitals 11.58 miles away701 Park Avenue Minneapolis Minnesota 55415Government - Local(612) 873-3629
- Children's Hospitals & Clinics of MnChildrens 12.23 miles away2525 Chicago Avenue South Minneapolis Minnesota 55404Voluntary non-profit - Private(612) 813-6112
- Abbott Northwestern HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.41 miles away800 East 28th Street Minneapolis Minnesota 55407Voluntary non-profit - Private(612) 863-4457
- University of Minnesota Medical Center, FairviewAcute Care Hospitals 12.85 miles away2450 Riverside Avenue Minneapolis Minnesota 55454Voluntary non-profit - Private(612) 273-3000
- Fmc - Maple Grove Dialysis1.01 miles away7365 Kirkwood Ct N, Ste 135 Osseo Minnesota 55369Dialysis Stations: 12 (763) 494-0316
- Maple Grove Dialysis of Davita3.11 miles away15655 Grove Cir N Osseo Minnesota 55369Dialysis Stations: 14 (763) 420-2804
- Fmc - Plymouth Creek3.21 miles away3007 Harbor Ln N Ste 100 Minneapolis Minnesota 55447Dialysis Stations: 17 (763) 559-0980
- Davita - New Hope3.37 miles away5640 International Pkwy Minneapolis Minnesota 55428Dialysis Stations: 12 (763) 537-0300
- Fmc Dialysis - Golden Valley6.65 miles away6155 Duluth St Minneapolis Minnesota 55422Dialysis Stations: 18 (763) 544-0298
- Fmc - Robbinsdale Dialysis6.65 miles away4094 Lakeland Ave N Minneapolis Minnesota 55422Dialysis Stations: 24 (763) 533-3759
- Robbinsdale Dialysis of Davita7.48 miles away3461 W Broadway Ave Minneapolis Minnesota 55422Dialysis Stations: 16 (763) 521-4865
- Fresenius Medical Care - Champlin8.49 miles away12339 Champlin Dr Champlin Minnesota 55316Dialysis Stations: 24 (763) 421-1032