The Barrington of Carmel is one of five available facilities in Carmel, Indiana. We gave this nursing home a very impressive overall grade of A-. Indeed, this turned out to be one of the three highest graded facilities in the city. Based on our analysis, this facility is just about as as good as it gets. This facility's strong report card was highlighted by its inspection reports, which is addressed in the next paragraph.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
The Barrington of Carmel
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Carmel senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- No Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Pain Management
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
We also wanted to emphasize the fact that this nursing home has received near flawless inspections recently. We awarded them an A+ in this category. Inspection ratings weigh several factors, including deficiencies and substantiated complaints. You can learn more about each of these issues by reviewing copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. Although this nursing home had some deficiencies on its inspection report, none were serious based on CMS' scale. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Short-term Care Quality
We also wanted to point out the fact that this facility was awarded a high-end grade of A in our short-term care area. In determining these short-term care ratings, we analyze the facility's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses, speech therapists, physical therapists and other types of skilled professionals. The goal is to formulate a scale for sizing up the rehabilitation services of various nursing homes. We weren't able to locate information about this nursing home's registered nurse or physical therapy staffing. The final statistic we assessed in this category is the percentage of patients that eventually returned home from the facility. We found that 6.5 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home as opposed to remaining at the facility on a permanent basis.
Does this page answer your questions about The Barrington of Carmel?
Long-term Care Quality
We also would like to note the fact that this nursing home was given a top-shelf score of A- in our long-term care area. Nursing homes that excel in this category tend to be well-staffed and offer extensive hands on care to residents. Once we finished looking at the quantity of nursing care, we turned to the facility's vaccination statistics. This facility vaccinated 100 percent of its residents against pneumonia, which is very impressive. Pneumonia tragically can be a deadly condition for nursing home patients so we strongly prefer when a facility does not leave its residents vulnerable. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
The last area we looked at was nursing. This facility was awarded a very good nursing grade this year, with a C. Even though this was not as elite as a few of its other grades, this is nevertheless a respectable grade in that category. In computing our nursing scores, we factor in both staffing levels and the skill levels of the nurses. This nursing home provided just 0.2 hours of nursing care per resident each day. This is a low total compared to most other nursing homes. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this place excelled in some of the quality-based metrics we assessed. It scored well in terms of minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
The Barrington of Carmel Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In The Barrington of Carmel, 7.36% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of residents that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, also known as bed sores, are routinely the result of patients not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In The Barrington of Carmel, 4.17% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of patients that sustained a fall leading to major injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In The Barrington of Carmel, 1.69% of Patients had UTIs
This metric indicates the percent of long-term residents which have suffered from a UTI. UTI's may be an indicator of worse hygiene protocols. Nevertheless, this datapoint may be skewed for certain facilities due to different reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In The Barrington of Carmel, 13.33% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of residents prescribed antipsychotic medications. These drugs are used to treat a variety of conditions, including Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In The Barrington of Carmel, 22.6% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint gauges the percent of long-term patients that were administered antianxiety drugs. These medications are used to treat patients experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In The Barrington of Carmel, 14.48% of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term residents exhibiting depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In The Barrington of Carmel, 91.03% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents who were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In The Barrington of Carmel, 15.46% Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as getting dressed and using the bathroom. Many believe that this is a reasonable measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In The Barrington of Carmel, 12.91% Percentage of Residents
Measures the percent of long-term patients who maintained mobility.
In The Barrington of Carmel, 1.53 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care. There is typically a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and the overall quality of long-term care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In The Barrington of Carmel, 12.91 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In The Barrington of Carmel, 12.43 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In The Barrington of Carmel, 73.74% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percentage of short-term residents who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
Scores for Carmel, IN
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Carmel, Indiana has 4 other nursing homes
- Indiana University Health North HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.12 miles away11700 N Meridian St Carmel Indiana 46032Voluntary non-profit - Private(317) 688-2000
- St Vincent Carmel Hospital IncAcute Care Hospitals 1.67 miles away13500 N Meridian St Carmel Indiana 46032Voluntary non-profit - Church(317) 582-7000
- St Vincent Heart Center of Indiana LLCAcute Care Hospitals 1.73 miles away10580 N Meridian St Indianapolis Indiana 46290Proprietary(317) 583-5000
- St Vincent Hospital & Health ServicesAcute Care Hospitals 4.4 miles away2001 W 86th St Indianapolis Indiana 46260Voluntary non-profit - Church(317) 338-7000
- Community Hospital NorthAcute Care Hospitals 6.59 miles away7150 Clearvista Dr Indianapolis Indiana 46256Voluntary non-profit - Private(317) 621-5335
- Riverview HealthAcute Care Hospitals 8.7 miles away395 Westfield Rd Noblesville Indiana 46060Government - Local(317) 773-0760
- Indiana University HealthAcute Care Hospitals 11.77 miles away1701 N Senate Blvd Indianapolis Indiana 46202Voluntary non-profit - Private(317) 962-5900
- St Vincent Fishers Hospital IncAcute Care Hospitals 11.94 miles away13861 Olio Road Fishers Indiana 46037Voluntary non-profit - Private(317) 415-9000
- Davita - Carmel Health and Living0.84 miles away118 Medical Drive, Suite 114 Carmel Indiana 46032Dialysis Stations: 6 (317) 844-9045
- Davita - Carmel Dialysis0.93 miles away180 East Carmel Drive Carmel Indiana 46032Dialysis Stations: 12 (317) 575-8916
- Fmc - Carmel1.2 miles away12400 North Meridian St., Ste 200 Carmel Indiana 46032Dialysis Stations: 12 (317) 575-8312
- Dialyze Direct in, LLC1.63 miles away13295 Illinois St. Carmel Indiana 46032Dialysis Stations: 1 (463) 219-0231
- Davita Home Dialysis of Indianapolis3.07 miles away8803 N. Meridian Street Indianapolis Indiana 46260Dialysis Stations: 5 (317) 574-1798
- Fmc - Indianapolis-North3.93 miles away1225 W 86th Street Indianapolis Indiana 46260CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (317) 228-0169
- Nxkc Indianapolis Northwest, LLC5.19 miles away9101 N. Wesleyan Rd, Suite 115 Indianapolis Indiana 46268Dialysis Stations: 3 (317) 829-9770
- Fmc - Shadeland Station7.36 miles away7155 Shadeland Station Ste 130 Indianapolis Indiana 46256CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (317) 578-8401