The Admiral at the Lake is a small non-profit facility located in Chicago, Illinois. This facility is one of the highest-rated facilities we assessed. In fact, it received our top score. Based on our ratings, this facility is simply as good as it gets. As you will see below, this place performed equally well in our category grades. We give this place two thumbs up!
The Admiral at the Lake
Updated May 1, 2022 by Sara Levinsohn
933 West Foster Avenue,
Chicago IL 60640
91.94% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
One of the many reasons this place ended up being a quality nursing home is that it earned an A+ inspection grade. This is simply as good as it gets in this category. Perhaps the most important factor we consider in calculating our inspection grades is deficiencies. These deficiencies are found on a facility's inspection reports. Places with higher grades in this area most likely avoided the more severe deficiencies involving patient abuse or death. Although this place had some deficiencies on its inspection report, none were severe based on CMS' scale. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
In addition, this facility received high marks in the area of nursing. As a result, it received one of our highest grades in that category with a score of A+. Our nursing grade is primarily associated with a facility's level of nurse staffing. This facility provided 5 hours of nursing care per resident each day, which is among the more impressive totals in the country. A significant percentage of those hours were provided by registered nurses, which are one of the more skilled levels of nurses. We were really impressed by both of these statistics. On top of providing high levels of care, this place also excelled in the quality measures we looked at. It performed as well as any nursing home in the country when it comes to minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls.
Does this page answer your questions about The Admiral at the Lake?
Short-term Care Quality
Turning our third category, this facility was given a top-shelf short-term care grade. In fact, we gave it a score of A in that category. With our short-term care assessment, we endeavor to craft a fair measure for rehabilitation services. In doing so, we assess a nursing home's scope of skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as speech therapy. One of this nursing home's strengths is registered nurse hours. We found that it offers more care from registered nurses to its residents than most facilities. The final datapoint we looked at in this area is the number of patients who were able to leave the nursing home and return home. It fared as well as just about any facility in Illinois in this area with 60.5 percent of its patients returning home. For most facilities, fewer than half of their short-stay residents are able to return home.
Long-term Care Quality
In the last category we scored, this nursing home received a very strong grade of A in our long-term care category. With this grade, the facility topped off a straight A profile. Long-term care ratings in this range generally require both around the clock care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine healthcare services. On top of offering very impressive levels of nursing care and other staffing, this nursing home provided the pneumonia vaccine to 100 percent of its patients. This figure is also significantly higher than the majority of nursing homes. This combination proved to be effective as this place also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0.5 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
The Admiral at the Lake Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In The Admiral at the Lake, 8.96% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of residents who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also known as bed sores, are routinely caused by residents not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing care can minimize the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In The Admiral at the Lake, 3.48% of Patients had Serious Falls
This statistic measures the percentage of long-term residents which experienced a fall resulting in major injury. This is one of the statistics we use in determining our nursing ratings.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In The Admiral at the Lake, 2.6% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of residents who suffered from a urinary tract infection. These infections may be linked to insufficient hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In The Admiral at the Lake, 18.2% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of long-term stay residents receiving antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs serve an important medical purpose, it is important to make sure these medications are being used only where medically required. In some situations, excessive reliance on these medications may indicate that a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In The Admiral at the Lake, 19.06% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of residents given antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety drugs are given to patients suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In The Admiral at the Lake, 29.52% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents showing signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In The Admiral at the Lake, 87.71% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term residents that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for nursing home patients, making these types of vaccines vital to patient safety.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In The Admiral at the Lake, 14.14% Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as getting dressed and taking a bath.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In The Admiral at the Lake, 19.35% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percentage of patients that maintained mobility over time. Optimizing mobility can be a great sign for residents' well-being.
In The Admiral at the Lake, 1.5 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care. Avoiding hospitalizations is important to the physical well-being of nursing home residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In The Admiral at the Lake, 19.35 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In The Admiral at the Lake, 11.42 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care. There is generally a correlation between keeping patients out of the emergency room and the quality of rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In The Admiral at the Lake, 71.34% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint measures the percent of short-term stay patients who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Many in the industry argue this is a reasonable measure of rehabilitation services.
Scores for Chicago, IL
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Chicago, Illinois has 78 other nursing homes
- Aurora Chicago Lakeshore HospitalPsychiatric 0.43 miles away4840 N Marine Dr Chicago Illinois 60640Proprietary(773) 878-9700
- Louis a Weiss Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.72 miles away4646 N Marine Drive Chicago Illinois 60640Proprietary(773) 878-8700
- Methodist Hospital of ChicagoAcute Care Hospitals 0.93 miles away5025 N Paulina Street Chicago Illinois 60640Voluntary non-profit - Private(773) 271-9040
- Thorek Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.52 miles away850 W Irving Park Rd Chicago Illinois 60613Voluntary non-profit - Private(312) 525-6780
- Swedish Covenant HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.33 miles away5145 N California Ave Chicago Illinois 60625Voluntary non-profit - Church(773) 878-8200
- Advocate Illinois Masonic Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.78 miles away836 West Wellington Avenue Chicago Illinois 60657Voluntary non-profit - Private(773) 975-1600
- Presence Saint Joseph Hospital - ChicagoAcute Care Hospitals 3.06 miles away2900 North Lake Shore Drive Chicago Illinois 60657Voluntary non-profit - Church(773) 665-3000
- Presence Saint Francis HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.67 miles away355 Ridge Ave Evanston Illinois 60202Voluntary non-profit - Church(847) 316-4000
- Fmc - Uptown0.64 miles away4700 N. Marine Drive, Suite 204 Chicago Illinois 60640CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (773) 989-8082
- Fmc - Na Lakeview Dialysis0.86 miles away4008 North Broadway Ave., Suite 1200 Chicago Illinois 60613Dialysis Stations: 14 (773) 248-3105
- Fmc - Northcenter Dialysis2.94 miles away2620 W. Addison St. Chicago Illinois 60618CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (773) 248-0462
- Nephron Dialysis Center, Ltd.2.95 miles away5140 N. California Ave. Suite 510 Chicago Illinois 60625Dialysis Stations: 16 (773) 293-2100
- Fmc - Rogers Park3.43 miles away2277 W Howard St Chicago Illinois 60645CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (773) 262-7147
- Davita - Lincoln Park Nephrology Assn, Sc3.74 miles away2484 N. Elston Ave Chicago Illinois 60647CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (773) 278-4403
- Davita Irving Park Dialysis3.98 miles away4323 N Pulaski Road Chicago Illinois 60641Dialysis Stations: 12 (773) 279-8714
- Davita - Logan Square Dialysis Svcs Inc4.29 miles away2838 N Kimball Ave Chicago Illinois 60618CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (773) 342-3738