Terence Cardinal Cooke Health Care Center is a nursing home in New York, New York which has a total of 1,577,385 people. Featuring an overall rating of B, this facility is a great choice. This grade was right in line with the city grade in New York. This nursing home is stronger in some categories than others, but it didn't have any poor grades in any of our major categories discussed below. More information about these categories can be found below.
Terence Cardinal Cooke Health Care Center
Updated May 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
1249 Fifth Avenue,
New York NY 10029
77.29% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
On top of earning a strong overall grade, this nursing home fared even better in the area of inspections which is associated with the nursing home's recent government inspection reports. We awarded it an A for this area, which is one of our highest scores. These inspection scores weigh several factors, including deficiencies and substantiated complaints. You can find more information about each of these factors by reviewing copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. Although this place had a few deficiencies on its inspection report, none were severe based on CMS' scale. The fact that the deficiencies were relatively minor leaves us less concerned with this inspection report.
Long-term Care Quality
Additionally, this facility also received favorable long-term care grades this year. Indeed, we gave it one of our better scores in that category, with a score of B+. In a long-term care environment, the primary objective is to maintain patients' quality of life and keep them safe. Once we assessed the amount of care provided by nurses, we next considered the nursing home's vaccination statistics. This nursing home vaccinated 66.82353 percent of its residents for pneumonia. While its vaccination rate was a bit lower than we like to see, we were pleased to find place was able to limit hospitalizations. With only 1.69 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, this nursing home has fewer hospitalizations than many nursing homes.
Does this page answer your questions about Terence Cardinal Cooke Health Care Center?
Adding to its profile, this facility also earned a grade of B for its nursing rating. This is a well above average score in this category. Our nursing grade focuses on the facility's nurse staffing levels. We consider both the levels of training of the nurses and the number of hours spent with patients. This nursing home provides 3.7 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This place performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a place has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can generally be prevented if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Short-term Care Quality
Moving on to the final area, this nursing home was awarded a respectable short-term care grade of B-. Short-term care grades are typically employed to score a nursing home's rehabilitation services. To provide highly rated rehabilitation services, facilities generally must offer better levels of skilled nursing services. These types of services include registered nurses, physical therapists, respiratory therapists and other licensed professionals. This facility provided more registered nurse and physical therapist hours per resident than most facilities. Lastly, we considered the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this facility. It performed decently in this area, with 48 percent of its patients returning home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Terence Cardinal Cooke Health Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Terence Cardinal Cooke Health Care Center, 9.64% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This datapoint is an indication of the percent of long-term stay patients that developed pressure ulcers or bed sores. We consider this statistic when determining both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Terence Cardinal Cooke Health Care Center, 3.1% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of residents that have had a major fall. Falls resulting in severe injuries are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a measure of nursing care . Major falls leading to injury are routinely the result of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Terence Cardinal Cooke Health Care Center, 2.09% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of residents who suffered from a urinary tract infection. These infections may be linked to poorer hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Terence Cardinal Cooke Health Care Center, 11.62% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients who were given antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications may be vital to many patients, it is important to confirm these medications are being used appropriately. In some cases, excessive reliance on these medications may suggest that a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Terence Cardinal Cooke Health Care Center, 13.11% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of residents who were prescribed antianxiety medications. Antianxiety medications are given to patients experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Terence Cardinal Cooke Health Care Center, 13.02% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients who are demonstrating signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Terence Cardinal Cooke Health Care Center, 92.45% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients who received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Terence Cardinal Cooke Health Care Center, 14.69% Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as getting dressed and eating. Some experts argue this is a reliable measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Terence Cardinal Cooke Health Care Center, 18.9% Percentage of Residents
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term residents who retained mobility levels.
In Terence Cardinal Cooke Health Care Center, 1.2 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric measures the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Terence Cardinal Cooke Health Care Center, 18.9 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is typically a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and a nursing home's quality of short-term rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Terence Cardinal Cooke Health Care Center, 8.78 Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Staying out of the emergency room is one way to gauge short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Terence Cardinal Cooke Health Care Center, 74.53% Percentage of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term stay patients who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. High levels of performance with activities of daily living generally correlates with superior rehabilitation.
Scores for New York, NY
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? New York, New York has 14 other nursing homes
- Metropolitan Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.77 miles away1901 First Avenue New York New York 10029Government - Local(212) 423-6262
- Lenox Hill HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.51 miles away100 East 77th Street New York New York 10021Voluntary non-profit - Private(212) 439-2345
- Harlem Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.52 miles away506 Lenox Avenue New York New York 10037Government - Local(212) 939-1000
- Hospital for Special SurgeryAcute Care Hospitals 2.06 miles away535 East 70th Street New York New York 10021Voluntary non-profit - Private(212) 606-1000
- New York-Presbyterian Hospital-New York Weill CornAcute Care Hospitals 2.12 miles away525 East 68th Street New York New York 10065Voluntary non-profit - Private(212) 746-5454
- Lincoln Medical & Mental Health CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.17 miles away234 East 149th Street Bronx New York 10451Government - Local(718) 579-5000
- Palisades Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.31 miles away7600 River Rd North Bergen New Jersey 07047Voluntary non-profit - Private(201) 854-5000
- Mount Sinai WestAcute Care Hospitals 2.57 miles away1000 Tenth Avenue New York New York 10019Voluntary non-profit - Private(212) 523-4000
- Ridgewood Dialysis Center, Inc.0.03 miles away1249 Fifth Avenue Dialysis Unit New York New York 10029CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (212) 360-3860
- City Dialysis Center0.22 miles away105 East 106th Street New York New York 10029CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (212) 348-6637
- Mt. Sinai Kidney Ctr.0.33 miles away1 Gustave L. Levy Place Renal Treatment Ctr. Box 1147 New York New York 10029Dialysis Stations: 12 (212) 241-8081
- Metropolitan Hospital Center0.75 miles away1901 First Avenue Dialysis Unit New York New York 10029Dialysis Stations: 12 (212) 423-6086
- Avantus Upper Manhattan Dialysis Center0.91 miles away801 Amsterdam Avenue New York New York 10025CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (646) 774-4400
- Park Avenue Dialysis Center LLC0.94 miles away116 East 124th Street New York New York 10035CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (646) 979-3317
- Mt. Sinai Kidney Center at East River Plaza0.99 miles away520 East 117th Street 4th Fl New York New York 10035CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 35 (212) 731-3752
- Upper East Side Dialysis Center1.12 miles away210 East 86th Street 3rd Fl. New York New York 10028CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (212) 794-2850