Tel Hai Retirement Community is a large non-profit nursing home in Honey Brook, Pennsylvania. With an overall score of A, this is without a doubt a top-shelf facility. We were so impressed with this nursing home that we ranked it in the top ten percent of all nursing homes in the nation. If you look below, you will see this facility's category scores, which look to be equally strong as its overall score.
Tel Hai Retirement Community
- Nursing Home
- Home Health Agency
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Adult Day Care
- Memory Care
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Oncology Care
- Aquatic Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
To go along with a favorable overall score, we awarded this facility an A+ for our inspections rating. Our inspection ratings weigh several factors included in a facility's inspection report. One of the most important criteria we look at is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. Facilities with better grades in this category typically have very few of these severe deficiencies. While this facility had a few minor dings on its government inspection report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are those found in categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This means the government inspectors did not consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Short-term Care Quality
We also wanted to alert you to the fact that this facility was given an elite score of A in our short-term care category. In calculating our short-term care ratings, we assess the nursing home's levels of highly skilled nursing services, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists speech therapists and other highly skilled individuals. This score is often a fair assessment of the nursing home's rehabilitation. Fortunately, it looks like this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not every facility employs these types of nurses. However, according to the data this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The final metric we assessed in this category is the percentage of residents who were able to leave the nursing home and return home. We found that 5.6 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Tel Hai Retirement Community?
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home also was elite in the category of long-term care, where we gave it a score of A. Few nursing homes performed better in this category. Long-term care scores in this range generally require both 24/7 care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine healthcare services. Once we assessed the volume of nursing care, we next considered the facility's vaccination record. This facility vaccinated 100 percent of its patients against pneumonia, which is very impressive. Pneumonia tragically can be a life or death health condition for nursing home patients so we like it when a facility doesn't leave this to chance. Lastly, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
In our final area, we awarded this facility a grade of A+ for its nursing grade. This finished off an elite report card. In computing our nursing ratings, we look at both staffing levels and the training levels of those nurses. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This place performed very well in the area of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Tel Hai Retirement Community Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Tel Hai Retirement Community, 7.72% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of patients who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage due to remaining in one position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Tel Hai Retirement Community, 3.42% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of patients that have had a fall which resulted in severe injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Tel Hai Retirement Community, 1.92% of Patients had UTIs
This statistic tells you the percent of long-term care patients who experienced a urinary tract infection. Although a higher rate infections may reflect poorly on a facility's hygiene protocols, it can be problematic to compare different nursing homes due to differing reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Tel Hai Retirement Community, 15.49% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents who were given antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications may be vital to many residents, it is important to ensure these drugs are being used only where medically required. In some cases, excessive reliance on these medications may mean that a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Tel Hai Retirement Community, 19.89% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint is an indication of the percent of long-term patients which are given antianxiety drugs. These drugs are commonly prescribed to patients experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Tel Hai Retirement Community, 3.23% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients who are exhibiting symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Tel Hai Retirement Community, 88.5% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents that received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Tel Hai Retirement Community, 15.28% Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term stay residents who required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as dressing and taking a bath. Many believe this is a reliable measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Tel Hai Retirement Community, 23.65% Percentage of Residents
This is the percentage of residents that remained mobile levels over time. Retaining mobility can be a good sign for residents' health.
In Tel Hai Retirement Community, 1.24 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric measures the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Tel Hai Retirement Community, 23.65 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term resident care. Avoiding rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is key to restoring the health of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Tel Hai Retirement Community, 8.84 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Tel Hai Retirement Community, 72.22% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percentage of short-term residents that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. High levels of performance with ADL's generally correlates with successful rehabilitation services.
- Brandywine HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.11 miles away201 Reeceville Road Coatesville Pennsylvania 19320Proprietary(610) 383-8000
- Chester County HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 16.07 miles away701 East Marshall Street West Chester Pennsylvania 19380Voluntary non-profit - Private(610) 431-5000
- Jennersville HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 16.65 miles away1015 West Baltimore Pike West Grove Pennsylvania 19390Voluntary non-profit - Other(610) 869-1000
- Wellspan Ephrata Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 17.78 miles away169 Martin Avenue Ephrata Pennsylvania 17522Voluntary non-profit - Other(717) 733-0311
- Reading HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 18.93 miles away420 S 5th Avenue Reading Pennsylvania 19611Voluntary non-profit - Other(610) 988-8000
- Phoenixville HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 18.97 miles away140 Nutt Road Phoenixville Pennsylvania 19460Proprietary(610) 983-1000
- Pottstown HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 19.35 miles away1600 East High Street Pottstown Pennsylvania 19464Voluntary non-profit - Private(610) 327-7000
- Usrc Coatesville, LLC5.27 miles away160 Airport Road Coatesville Pennsylvania 19320Dialysis Stations: 13 (610) 383-4569
- Granue Dialysis, LLC5.51 miles away1129 West Lincoln Highway Coatesville Pennsylvania 19320Dialysis Stations: 13 (610) 383-3866
- Davita - Thorndale Dialysis8.26 miles away3243 Lincoln Highway Thorndale Pennsylvania 19372CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (610) 384-3902
- Dialyze Direct Pa LLC12.42 miles away495 Thomas Jones Way, Suite 300 Exton Pennsylvania 19341Dialysis Stations: 1 (484) 870-9260
- Davita - Ephrata15.41 miles away67 West Church Street Stevens Pennsylvania 17578CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (717) 335-7399
- Davita - Westtown Dialysis16.74 miles away105 Westtown Road West Chester Pennsylvania 19382CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (610) 701-2492
- Jennersville Dialysis Center16.84 miles away1011 West Baltimore Pike, Suite 107 West Grove Pennsylvania 19390CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (610) 345-0188
- Physicians Dialysis of Lancaster, LLC17.41 miles away345 W. Main St., Suite 202 Leola Pennsylvania 17540Dialysis Stations: 13 (717) 556-0080