Tallgrass Creek is a small non-profit nursing home in Overland Park, Kansas. With an overall grade of A, this is clearly a phenomenal nursing home. We were not surprised to discover that this is substantially better than many of the facilities in the city. Scroll down to find this nursing home's category ratings, which are also quite good. It is hard to find any major flaws in this place's profile.
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
Registered Staff Hours
One of the many reasons this turned out to be a quality nursing home is that it received an A+ inspection grade. This is simply as good as it gets in this critical category. Inspection scores account for a host of factors found on a facility's inspection reports. One of the most important criteria we consider is the number and severity of deficiencies. Places with higher scores in this category tend to have few severe deficiencies. This nursing home was assessed 3 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to see that none of the deficiencies were considered severe. This means that CMS didn't deem any of these deficiencies to cause an immediate risk to patient health or safety. A few minor dings are not the end of the world.
Short-term Care Quality
This first-rate nursing home also performed well in the category of short-term care, where we awarded it a score of A+. Few facilities fared better in this area. Short-term care grades are commonly employed to grade a facility's rehabilitation services. To have quality rehabilitation services, nursing homes generally must offer higher levels of highly skilled nursing. Skilled nursing includes registered nurses, physical therapists, occupational therapists and other types of therapists. Fortunately, it looks like this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not all facilities employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, based on the information this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Lastly, we assessed the number of patients that ultimately were able to return home from this nursing home. We found that 6.4 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Tallgrass Creek?
This nursing home also received a very impressive nursing grade. In that area, we awarded this facility a grade of A-. Nursing grades are mostly based on a nursing home's level of nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This place performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a place has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can often be avoided if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Long-term Care Quality
The last category we rated was long-term care. In that area, we gave this nursing home an above average grade of B. Nursing homes that receive this type of grade in this category tend to provide consistent around the clock care to make sure residents are kept in good health. On top of looking at the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility provided the vaccine to 100 percent of its patients, which is significantly higher than the majority of nursing homes. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had only 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Tallgrass Creek Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Tallgrass Creek, 7.05% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of residents that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also called bed sores, are often caused by residents not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing protocols limits the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Tallgrass Creek, 5.14% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term stay residents which had falls which caused severe injury. We use this statistic in calculating nursing ratings.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Tallgrass Creek, 3.56% of Patients had UTIs
This metric gauges the percentage of long-term patients which have sustained a UTI. UTI's could be an indicator of a nursing home with worse hygiene protocols. Nevertheless, this metric may be skewed for certain facilities due to varying reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Tallgrass Creek, 17.24% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure indicates the percentage of long-term residents which were given antipsychotic drugs. High levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior in situations where such medications aren't medically required. However, some facilities need to rely more on these drugs due to having more residents suffering from dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Tallgrass Creek, 22.38% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents receiving antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Tallgrass Creek, 5.98% of Patients
This is the percent of patients who are showing signs of depression. Higher levels of depression could imply a less hospitable environment.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Tallgrass Creek, 91.04% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term stay patients who have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for nursing home residents, making these vaccines critical to patient health.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Tallgrass Creek, 16.84% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as moving around and taking a bath.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Tallgrass Creek, 19.61% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percentage of residents that maintained mobility over time. Preserving mobility is usually a great sign for residents' health.
In Tallgrass Creek, 1.67 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
Measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care. Avoiding the hospital is important to preserving the physical well-being of patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Tallgrass Creek, 19.61 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Tallgrass Creek, 10.57 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care. There is usually a correlation between staying out of the emergency room and the quality of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Tallgrass Creek, 74.57% Percentage of Resident
This is a measure of the percent of short-term stay patients who saw functional improvements.
Scores for Overland Park, KS
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Overland Park, Kansas has 11 other nursing homes
- Saint Luke's South HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.79 miles away12300 Metcalf Avenue Overland Park Kansas 66213Voluntary non-profit - Other(913) 317-7904
- Menorah Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.46 miles away5721 West 119th Street Leawood Kansas 66209Voluntary non-profit - Other(913) 498-6773
- Overland Park Reg Med CtrAcute Care Hospitals 4.99 miles away10500 Quivira Road Lenexa Kansas 66215Proprietary(913) 541-5000
- St Joseph Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.07 miles away1000 Carondelet Dr Kansas City Missouri 64114Proprietary(816) 942-4400
- Adventhealth Shawnee MissionAcute Care Hospitals 8.07 miles away9100 W 74th Street Overland Park Kansas 66204Voluntary non-profit - Church(913) 676-2152
- Olathe Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.57 miles away20333 West 151st Street Olathe Kansas 66061Voluntary non-profit - Private(913) 791-4200
- Research Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.6 miles away2316 E Meyer Blvd Kansas City Missouri 64132Proprietary(816) 276-4000
- St Lukes Hospital of Kansas CityAcute Care Hospitals 12.24 miles away4401 Wornall Road Kansas City Missouri 64111Voluntary non-profit - Private(816) 932-2000
- Nall Dialysis1.97 miles away10787 Nall Ave #130 Leawood Kansas 66211Dialysis Stations: 15 (913) 649-2671
- Bio-Medical Applications of Leawood2.3 miles away6751 W 119th St Leawood Kansas 66209Dialysis Stations: 18 (913) 491-6341
- Davita Nottingham Dialysis4.35 miles away14010 W 134th Pl Olathe Kansas 66062Dialysis Stations: 12 (913) 764-0358
- Davita Overland Park Dialysis4.7 miles away12201 W 110th St Overland Park Kansas 66210Dialysis Stations: 16 (913) 451-5984
- Timberlake Dialysis4.74 miles away12110 Holmes Rd Kansas City Missouri 64145Dialysis Stations: 12 (816) 942-3827
- Dialysis Clinics, Inc - State Line Dialysis5.31 miles away621 Carondelet Dr Kansas City Missouri 64114Dialysis Stations: 8 (816) 942-3650
- Dialysis Clinics, Inc - Saint Joseph5.42 miles away650 Carondelet Dr Kansas City Missouri 64114CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 38 (816) 941-0595
- Fkc - Lenexa6.2 miles away13201 W 98th St Lenexa Kansas 66215Dialysis Stations: 13 (913) 492-4571