Sylvan Health Center is located in Clearwater, Florida. The city has a multitude of options. This turns out to be an A+ rated facility, which is our most impressive grade. We were so impressed with this facility that we ranked it in the top five percent of all nursing homes nationally. As you will see below, this nursing home performed just as well in our category scores. We give this place two thumbs up!
Sylvan Health Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Best Nursing Home in Clearwater, Florida Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to being an elite nursing home overall, this nursing home performed well in our inspections category, where it received an A+. Few places performed this well in this area. Inspection scores are tied to several items located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Nursing homes that receive favorable grades in this area have few deficiencies on those reports. Most importantly, these places generally do not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. This nursing home was assessed 3 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to see that none of the deficiencies were considered to be severe deficiencies. This means that CMS did not deem any of the deficiencies an immediate threat to patient safety or health. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Short-term Care Quality
This facility also was awarded an A+ short-term care grade, rendering it one of the few facilities to be given more than one A+ category scores. In the category of short-term care, we seek to evaluate indicators of a facility's rehabilitation. We analyze a facility's skilled nursing services, such as the ones performed by registered nurses and physical therapists. Fortunately, it looks like this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not every nursing home employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, based on the data this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Finally, we assessed the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 5.9 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Sylvan Health Center?
Long-term Care Quality
We also gave this nursing home a grade of of A+ for its long-term care grade. When facilities receive a score in this range in long-term care it typically means it has plenty of staff and is a quality place to reside on a permanent basis. In addition to looking at the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we looked at the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility vaccinated 100 percent of its patients, which is much higher than the majority of nursing homes. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Turning to our last area, this facility also performed admirably in the nursing category. In fact, we awarded it an A- for this category. This topped off a straight A profile. Nursing ratings are largely based on the nursing home's level of nurse staffing. This facility provided 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This facility performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a nursing home has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can generally be prevented if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Sylvan Health Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Sylvan Health Center, 9.08% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This datapoint indicates the percent of long-term stay residents that are suffering from pressure ulcers or bed sores. We use this statistic in calculating our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Sylvan Health Center, 2.82% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of residents that have had a major fall. Falls leading to major injuries are routinely linked to poor nursing care. More supervision can minimize the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Sylvan Health Center, 1.81% of Patients had UTIs
This is an indication of the percentage of long-term care residents that sustained urinary tract infections. Although more infections could reflect poorly on a nursing home's nursing care, it is difficult to compare different nursing homes due to reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Sylvan Health Center, 10.64% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients receiving antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications serve an important medical purpose, it is important to make sure these drugs are being used appropriately. In limited situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean that a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Sylvan Health Center, 21.27% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of patients prescribed antianxiety medications. Antianxiety drugs are administered to residents experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Sylvan Health Center, 2.33% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents who are exhibiting symptoms of depression. Many argue that this is a reasonable measure of patient quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Sylvan Health Center, 94.94% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term care patients that were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Sylvan Health Center, 13.07% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients who required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Sylvan Health Center, 16.78% Percentage of Residents
This metric measures the percentage of long-term patients that remained mobile levels.
In Sylvan Health Center, 1.76 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric tracks the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Sylvan Health Center, 16.78 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Sylvan Health Center, 9.16 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care. There is generally a correlation between reduced emergency room visits and the quality of rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Sylvan Health Center, 78.49% Percentage of Resident
This is a measure of the percent of short-term stay residents who saw functional improvements.
Scores for Clearwater, FL
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Clearwater, Florida has 13 other nursing homes
- Mease Countryside HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.29 miles away3231 Mcmullen Booth Rd Safety Harbor Florida 34695Voluntary non-profit - Private(727) 734-6950
- Mease Dunedin HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.87 miles away601 Main St Dunedin Florida 34698Voluntary non-profit - Private(727) 733-1111
- Morton Plant HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.81 miles away300 Pinellas St Clearwater Florida 33756Voluntary non-profit - Private(727) 462-7000
- Largo Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.44 miles away201 14th St Sw Largo Florida 33770Proprietary(727) 588-5200
- Adventhealth North PinellasAcute Care Hospitals 9.67 miles away1395 S Pinellas Ave Tarpon Springs Florida 34689Voluntary non-profit - Other(727) 942-5000
- Northside HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.62 miles away6000 49th St N Saint Petersburg Florida 33709Proprietary(813) 521-5000
- St Petersburg General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.95 miles away6500 38th Ave N Saint Petersburg Florida 33710Proprietary(727) 384-1414
- Adventhealth CarrollwoodAcute Care Hospitals 13.55 miles away7171 N Dale Mabry Hwy Tampa Florida 33614Voluntary non-profit - Church(813) 932-2222
- Bma - Clearwater1.42 miles away26338 Us Hwy 19 N Clearwater Florida 33761CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (727) 723-8123
- Fresenius Kidney Care-Dunedin2.62 miles away1121 Overcash Drive Suite A Dunedin Florida 34698Dialysis Stations: 24 (727) 733-1112
- Gulf Breeze Dialysis Center2.84 miles away1519 Main Street Dunedin Florida 34698Dialysis Stations: 25 (727) 738-4425
- Rai-Us 19 North-Clearwater3.91 miles away29296 Us Hwy 19 N #1 Clearwater Florida 33761CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (727) 785-9036
- Fkc - Belleair Dialysis Center5.67 miles away617 Lakeview Road Suite B Clearwater Florida 33756CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (727) 441-8590
- Fmc - Belleair Home Therapies5.67 miles away617 Lakeview Rd Suite C Clearwater Florida 33756Dialysis Stations: 2 (727) 441-2913
- Rai Care Centers - Clearwater5.75 miles away1057 S Fort Harrison Avenue Clearwater Florida 33756CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (727) 441-1608
- Renviva Dialysis Center of Clearwater, LLC5.75 miles away401 Corbett Suite 250 Clearwater Florida 33756Dialysis Stations: 2 (727) 281-4490