Swope Ridge Geriatric Center is in the large metropolitan area of Kansas City, Missouri. With an overall rating of F, we consider this to be a bottom of the barrel nursing home. Kansas City received a city grade of B-, so there are other options in the city worth considering. We wouldn't blame you if you're ready to stop reading and find another nursing home. However, if you want to learn more about this nursing home's category grades, we will discuss long-term care in the next paragraph.
Swope Ridge Geriatric Center
- Nursing Home
- Adult Day Care
Updated Mar 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
5900 Swope Parkway,
Kansas City MO 64130
66.91% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
Long-term Care Quality
Even though we graded this facility extremely poorly overall, it received a more respectable long-term care rating this year. We gave it a grade of B- in that category. Our long-term care grade assesses a facility's assistance with daily living rather than the skilled therapy and medical services that are critical to a rehabilitation facility. On top of considering the volume of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. We found that this nursing home administered the vaccine to a relatively low 85.98726 percent of its residents, which is not a very encouraging sign. Nevertheless, this place excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. It had only 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
As it turns out, its inspection reports were not the source of this nursing home's abysmal overall grade. In fact, it received a C in this category. Inspection ratings are tied to several items located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Deficiencies are a key item to look for on these inspections. Severe deficiencies indicate a risk to patient safety. This facility was hit with 4 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to find that none were category G through L deficiencies. This means it avoided the more significant categories of deficiencies. Unfortunately, we also need to draw your attention to the fact that this facility received significant government fines in recent years.
Does this page answer your questions about Swope Ridge Geriatric Center?
This nursing home also didn't perform terribly in the area of nursing. In fact, we awarded it a grade of C for that category, which is another one its better scores. Our nursing rating is based on many datapoints. The most heavily weighted factor is the number of hours nurses spent with residents. This place averages 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day, which is not an impressive total. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this place fared better in some of the quality measures we assessed. In fact, it scored well in terms of avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls.
Short-term Care Quality
Moving on to our next area, this facility really did not fare very well here either. Due to a rock bottom grade of F in short-term care, this is just about as as uninspiring as it gets. In the area of short-term care, we endeavor to assess indicators of a facility's rehabilitation services. We assess a nursing home's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses and physical and occupational therapists. With its abysmal grade in this category, we were not shocked to learn this nursing home offers substantially fewer registered nurse and physical therapist hours per patient than most other facilities. The last measure we assessed in this category is the percentage of residents who were able to leave the facility and return to the community. We discovered that just 4.6 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home, which is well below average. The combination of these subpar statistics doomed this facility's short-term care score.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Swope Ridge Geriatric Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Swope Ridge Geriatric Center, 9.28% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is an indication of the percentage of long-term residents who suffered from new or worsened pressure ulcers. Many experts believe that pressure ulcers are a great barometer of the quality of nursing care a facility provides.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Swope Ridge Geriatric Center, 3.89% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of patients who suffered from a major fall. Falls leading to severe injuries are considered by many experts to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Major falls resulting in injury are often the result of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Swope Ridge Geriatric Center, 3.39% of Patients had UTIs
This measures the percentage of long-term patients that experienced UTI's. Although more of these infections could reflect poorly on a facility's cleanliness, it can be problematic to compare different nursing homes due to facilities having differing reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Swope Ridge Geriatric Center, 20.47% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of patients who were given antipsychotic medications. These medications are sometimes used to treat several conditions, including Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Swope Ridge Geriatric Center, 24.32% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of patients given antianxiety drugs. These drugs are prescribed to residents suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Swope Ridge Geriatric Center, 4.19% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term residents who are demonstrating signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Swope Ridge Geriatric Center, 88.53% of Patients
This is the percent of residents who were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Swope Ridge Geriatric Center, 14.79% Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as taking medications and eating. Many believe that this is a measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Swope Ridge Geriatric Center, 14.68% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percentage of patients that maintained mobility over time. Preserving mobility is often a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Swope Ridge Geriatric Center, 1.7 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care. Staying out of the hospital is important to maintaining the physical well-being of patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Swope Ridge Geriatric Center, 14.68 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric tracks the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Swope Ridge Geriatric Center, 11.55 Percentage of Patients
Measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Scores for Kansas City, MO
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Kansas City, Missouri has 28 other nursing homes
- Research Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.19 miles away2316 E Meyer Blvd Kansas City Missouri 64132Proprietary(816) 276-4000
- St Lukes Hospital of Kansas CityAcute Care Hospitals 3.21 miles away4401 Wornall Road Kansas City Missouri 64111Voluntary non-profit - Private(816) 932-2000
- University of Kansas HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.37 miles away4000 Cambridge Street Kansas City Kansas 66160Government - Hospital District or Authority(913) 588-7332
- Childrens Mercy HospitalChildrens 4.85 miles away2401 Gillham Road Kansas City Missouri 64108Voluntary non-profit - Private(816) 234-3000
- Truman Medical Center Hospital HillAcute Care Hospitals 4.93 miles away2301 Holmes Street Kansas City Missouri 64108Voluntary non-profit - Private(816) 404-1000
- St Joseph Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.73 miles away1000 Carondelet Dr Kansas City Missouri 64114Proprietary(816) 942-4400
- Adventhealth Shawnee MissionAcute Care Hospitals 8.23 miles away9100 W 74th Street Overland Park Kansas 66204Voluntary non-profit - Church(913) 676-2152
- Truman Medical Center LakewoodAcute Care Hospitals 8.7 miles away7900 Lee's Summit Rd Kansas City Missouri 64139Voluntary non-profit - Private(816) 404-7000
- Swope Dialysis1.17 miles away4407 East 50th Terrace Kansas City Missouri 64130CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (816) 924-1201
- Kansas City Dialysis & Transplant Center1.19 miles away2340 E Meyer Blvd Building 1, Suite #100 Kansas City Missouri 64132CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 33 (816) 444-2098
- Dialysis Clinics, Inc - Baptist2.97 miles away6530 Troost Ave Kansas City Missouri 64131CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (816) 363-8228
- Dialysis Clinics, Inc - Swope Parkway2.97 miles away6530 Troost Ave Kansas City Missouri 64131Dialysis Stations: 24 (816) 363-8228
- Davita Blue Ridge Dialysis3.03 miles away8608 E 63rd St Kansas City Missouri 64133Dialysis Stations: 20 (816) 353-6100
- Davita - Westport Renal Center3.64 miles away3947 Broadway Blvd Kansas City Missouri 64111CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (816) 531-1181
- Rai - Rainbow Blvd - Westwood4.13 miles away4720 Rainbow Blvd Suite 200 Mission Kansas 66205CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (913) 403-0441
- Davita Mission Dialysis4.64 miles away2852 W 47th Ave Kansas City Kansas 66103Dialysis Stations: 12 (913) 403-1843