Swope Ridge Geriatric Center is in the large metropolitan area of Kansas City, Missouri. With an overall rating of D, this is a subpar nursing home. Kansas City received a city grade of B-, so there are other options in the city worth considering. We wouldn't blame you if you're ready to stop reading and find another nursing home. However, if you want to learn more about this nursing home's category grades, we will discuss long-term care in the next paragraph.
Swope Ridge Geriatric Center
- Nursing Home
- Adult Day Care
Updated Mar 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
Long-term Care Quality
Even though we were not high on this facility overall, we gave it a B- for our long-term care rating. This is better than the nursing home's overall score. Our long-term care grade assesses a facility's personal care instead of the highly skilled nursing or healthcare services that are critical to a rehabilitation facility. In addition to assessing the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. As it turns out, this nursing home gave the vaccine to just 85.98726 percent of its patients, which is well below average. Nevertheless, this nursing home keeps its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had only 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
We awarded this facility a C for our inspections rating. This grade is better than the nursing home's overall score. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in determining these inspection ratings. One of those factors is deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of these deficiencies is usually more meaningful than the quantity of deficiencies, as some deficiencies are quite insignificant. This facility had 4 deficiencies on its government inspection report, but none were in any of the categories labeled G through L. This tells you that this facility avoided the more significant categories of deficiencies. Unfortunately, we also need to draw your attention to the fact that this facility received significant government fines in recent years.
Does this page answer your questions about Swope Ridge Geriatric Center?
We awarded this facility a respectable grade in the area of nursing as well, with a grade of C. Our nursing score assesses the facility's nurse staffing levels. We factor in both the levels of training of those nurses as well as the amount of time spent with patients. This facility provides only 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a somewhat concerning figure which is well below the national average. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this facility fared better in some of the quality measures we looked at. It scored well in the area of minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls.
Short-term Care Quality
Switching gears to the final area, we awarded this facility a D in short-term care. This was the nursing home's least impressive category rating. In computing our short-term care scores, we assess a nursing home's levels of highly skilled nursing services, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists speech therapists and other highly trained professionals. This score is often a useful measure of a nursing home's ability to rehabilitate patients. With a score this poor in this category, we were not shocked to learn that this nursing home was below average in two of the key staffing figures we assess. The facility supplied significantly fewer physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than most facilities. Finally, we assessed the number of patients who were able to return to the community from this facility. This was not a strength for this facility. We found that just 4.6 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home. At most facilities, around half of their patients are able to return home so this is well below average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Swope Ridge Geriatric Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Swope Ridge Geriatric Center, 9.32% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This figure is an indication of the percentage of long-term patients which developed new or worsened pressure ulcers. We have found that pressure ulcers are a great indicator of the quality of nursing care a facility provides.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Swope Ridge Geriatric Center, 3.98% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of residents that have had a major fall. Falls resulting in major injury are considered to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care . Falls leading to injury are routinely caused by poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Swope Ridge Geriatric Center, 3.42% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of patients who have had a urinary tract infection. UTI's are routinely associated with facilities with lower levels of hygiene. Additional nurse staffing limits the number likelihood of residents sustaining infections. Note that this metric is affected by by the fact that facilities have varying reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Swope Ridge Geriatric Center, 20.31% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of patients given antipsychotic drugs. These drugs may be used to treat several medical conditions, such as dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Swope Ridge Geriatric Center, 24.54% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of residents who were given antianxiety medications. These medications are typically prescribed to residents suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Swope Ridge Geriatric Center, 4.11% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients exhibiting signs of depression. Higher levels of depression may reveal worse patient care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Swope Ridge Geriatric Center, 88.89% of Patients
This is the percent of residents that were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Swope Ridge Geriatric Center, 14.76% Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients who required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as moving around and taking a bath.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Swope Ridge Geriatric Center, 15.81% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term care patients that were able to retain mobility.
In Swope Ridge Geriatric Center, 1.64 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care. Avoiding the hospital is important to maintaining the physical well-being of nursing home patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Swope Ridge Geriatric Center, 15.81 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is a correlation between staying out of the hospital and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Swope Ridge Geriatric Center, 11.79 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care. There is typically a correlation between having fewer emergency room visits and the quality of care.
Scores for Kansas City, MO
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Kansas City, Missouri has 28 other nursing homes
- Research Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.19 miles away2316 E Meyer Blvd Kansas City Missouri 64132Proprietary(816) 276-4000
- St Lukes Hospital of Kansas CityAcute Care Hospitals 3.21 miles away4401 Wornall Road Kansas City Missouri 64111Voluntary non-profit - Private(816) 932-2000
- University of Kansas HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.37 miles away4000 Cambridge Street Kansas City Kansas 66160Government - Hospital District or Authority(913) 588-7332
- Childrens Mercy HospitalChildrens 4.85 miles away2401 Gillham Road Kansas City Missouri 64108Voluntary non-profit - Private(816) 234-3000
- Truman Medical Center Hospital HillAcute Care Hospitals 4.93 miles away2301 Holmes Street Kansas City Missouri 64108Voluntary non-profit - Private(816) 404-1000
- St Joseph Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.73 miles away1000 Carondelet Dr Kansas City Missouri 64114Proprietary(816) 942-4400
- Adventhealth Shawnee MissionAcute Care Hospitals 8.23 miles away9100 W 74th Street Overland Park Kansas 66204Voluntary non-profit - Church(913) 676-2152
- Truman Medical Center LakewoodAcute Care Hospitals 8.7 miles away7900 Lee's Summit Rd Kansas City Missouri 64139Voluntary non-profit - Private(816) 404-7000
- Swope Dialysis1.17 miles away4407 East 50th Terrace Kansas City Missouri 64130CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (816) 924-1201
- Kansas City Dialysis & Transplant Center1.19 miles away2340 E Meyer Blvd Building 1, Suite #100 Kansas City Missouri 64132CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 33 (816) 444-2098
- Dialysis Clinics, Inc - Baptist2.97 miles away6530 Troost Ave Kansas City Missouri 64131CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (816) 363-8228
- Dialysis Clinics, Inc - Swope Parkway2.97 miles away6530 Troost Ave Kansas City Missouri 64131Dialysis Stations: 24 (816) 363-8228
- Davita Blue Ridge Dialysis3.03 miles away8608 E 63rd St Kansas City Missouri 64133Dialysis Stations: 20 (816) 353-6100
- Davita - Westport Renal Center3.64 miles away3947 Broadway Blvd Kansas City Missouri 64111CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (816) 531-1181
- Rai - Rainbow Blvd - Westwood4.13 miles away4720 Rainbow Blvd Suite 200 Mission Kansas 66205CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (913) 403-0441
- Davita Mission Dialysis4.64 miles away2852 W 47th Ave Kansas City Kansas 66103Dialysis Stations: 12 (913) 403-1843