Swedish Covenant Hospital is a small non-profit facility located in Chicago, Illinois. This turns out to be a grade A facility, which is a very elite rating. We flat out can't say enough good things about this place. Keep reading to find this facility's category ratings, which are also impressive. It's hard to poke holes in this nursing home's profile.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Swedish Covenant Hospital
- Nursing Home
Updated Nov 1, 2020 by Nick Lata
Note: Data for Swedish Covenant Hospital has not been updated recently. This page shows historical performance which may not be representitive of current service levels.
Get pricing and details on Chicago senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- No Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Church related
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Top Nursing Home in Illinois Awards 2019
Top Nursing Home in Illinois Awards 2020
One of the many reasons this turned out to be a quality nursing home is that it received an A+ inspection grade. This is simply as good as it gets in this critical category. Inspection ratings weigh several factors found on a facility's inspection report. One key criteria we rely on is the number and severity of deficiencies. Facilities with better scores in this area usually have few of these severe deficiencies. Although this nursing home had some deficiencies on its report, none were serious based on CMS' scale. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Short-term Care Quality
In addition, this facility was given quality marks in the category of short-term care. As a result, it was given one of our highest grades in that area with a score of A+. Short-term care ratings are meaningful for prospective residents seeking rehabilitation. Rehabilitation usually utilizes more highly-skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing means a wide spectrum of nursing services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, as well as other types of therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not all nursing homes employs these skilled professionals. However, based on the information this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The final statistic we considered in this area is the number of residents who were able to leave the nursing home and return to the community. We found that 7.5 percent of this nursing home's patients were able to return home.
Does this page answer your questions about Swedish Covenant Hospital?
Adding to its impressive resume, this nursing home also excelled in our nursing category. In fact, we awarded it a grade of A- for that category. Nursing ratings are based in large part on levels of nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality measures and this facility excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any facility the nation in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can generally be prevented by providing better nursing care, such as having a policy of turning residents more frequently.
Long-term Care Quality
In the final category, this facility also was given an impressive long-term care grade, with a grade of B+. This topped off an elite profile. For prospective residents in need of a permanent place to live rather than skilled nursing, long-term care is a very important category. In addition to looking at the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we analyzed the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. We were not able to track down information about this nursing home's vaccination rates. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. It had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Swedish Covenant Hospital Quality Metrics
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Swedish Covenant Hospital, 2.63% of Patients
This indicates the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Swedish Covenant Hospital, 65.55% of Resident
This metric is a measure of the percentage of short-term residents who saw functional improvements.
Scores for Chicago, IL
- Overall Rating has a grade of D
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-minus
Looking for more options? Chicago, Illinois has 79 other nursing homes
- Swedish Covenant HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0 miles away5145 N California Ave Chicago Illinois 60625Voluntary non-profit - Church(773) 878-8200
- Methodist Hospital of ChicagoAcute Care Hospitals 1.43 miles away5025 N Paulina Street Chicago Illinois 60640Voluntary non-profit - Private(773) 271-9040
- Aurora Chicago Lakeshore HospitalPsychiatric 2.52 miles away4840 N Marine Dr Chicago Illinois 60640Proprietary(773) 878-9700
- Louis a Weiss Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.63 miles away4646 N Marine Drive Chicago Illinois 60640Proprietary(773) 878-8700
- Thorek Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.84 miles away850 W Irving Park Rd Chicago Illinois 60613Voluntary non-profit - Private(312) 525-6780
- Presence Saint Francis HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.45 miles away355 Ridge Ave Evanston Illinois 60202Voluntary non-profit - Church(847) 316-4000
- Advocate Illinois Masonic Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.62 miles away836 West Wellington Avenue Chicago Illinois 60657Voluntary non-profit - Private(773) 975-1600
- Community First Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.1 miles away5645 W Addison Street Chicago Illinois 60634Voluntary non-profit - Private(773) 282-7000
- Nephron Dialysis Center, Ltd.1.77 miles away5140 N. California Ave. Suite 510 Chicago Illinois 60625Dialysis Stations: 16 (773) 293-2100
- Davita Irving Park Dialysis1.83 miles away4323 N Pulaski Road Chicago Illinois 60641Dialysis Stations: 12 (773) 279-8714
- Fmc - Northcenter Dialysis1.99 miles away2620 W. Addison St. Chicago Illinois 60618CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (773) 248-0462
- Fmc - Na Lakeview Dialysis2.29 miles away4008 North Broadway Ave., Suite 1200 Chicago Illinois 60613Dialysis Stations: 14 (773) 248-3105
- Fmc - Uptown2.57 miles away4700 N. Marine Drive, Suite 204 Chicago Illinois 60640CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (773) 989-8082
- Davita - Logan Square Dialysis Svcs Inc3.03 miles away2838 N Kimball Ave Chicago Illinois 60618CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (773) 342-3738
- Fmc - Rogers Park3.11 miles away2277 W Howard St Chicago Illinois 60645CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (773) 262-7147
- Fmc - Logan Square3.16 miles away2721 N Spaulding Chicago Illinois 60647Dialysis Stations: 16 (773) 292-2971