Surprise Health and Rehabilitation Center is an average-sized nursing home located in Surprise, Arizona. Sporting an overall rating of B+, this is a strong facility. You can certainly do much worse than this facility. The best aspect of this nursing home's impressive report card is its inspection rating. We discuss inspections in the next section
Surprise Health and Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- No Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- No Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Recreational Therapy
- Lymphedema Care
Registered Staff Hours
On top of being a first rate facility overall, this facility also excelled in our inspections category, where it received an A+. Few nursing homes performed as well in this category. These inspection grades weigh several factors, including deficiencies, substantiated complaints and federal fines. You can find more information about each of these issues by reviewing copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. Unfortunately, we were not able to find deficiency counts for this nursing home. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Short-term Care Quality
Among this facility's other strengths is its dominant short-term care grade. We awarded them one of our more impressive scores in that category, with a score of A-. Our short-term care grades are vital for prospective residents seeking rehabilitation. Rehabilitation usually utilizes additional highly-skilled nursing services. This means a broad spectrum of nursing services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, as well as other variations of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not every facility employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, based on the information this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Lastly, we looked at the percentage of residents who who were able to eventually return home from this nursing home. We found that 6.8 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Surprise Health and Rehabilitation Center?
Long-term Care Quality
The third area we looked at was long-term care. This facility was awarded an impressive long-term care score, with a grade of B+ in the area. Nursing homes that do well in this category typically provide residents with better supervision and stay on top of routine medical care. After considering the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we next considered the nursing home's vaccination data. This facility vaccinated 100 percent of its residents for pneumonia. Vaccines are vital to keeping patients healthy. Lastly, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. It had only 0 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
The final area we analyzed was nursing, which turned out to be a weak link for this facility. We awarded this nursing home a grade of D for the area of nursing, making this its least impressive area. We would still recommend that you look at the bigger picture. Our nursing score analyzes several components, but the most important one is the level of nurse hours per patient per week. This nursing home provides 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a much lower figure than we are used to seeing. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in computing our nursing scores. This place fared well when it comes to minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. Many consider these metrics to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Surprise Health and Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Surprise Health and Rehabilitation Center, 8.97% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This datapoint indicates the percent of long-term care patients which suffer from pressure ulcers . We use this statistic in calculating our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Surprise Health and Rehabilitation Center, 2.2% of Patients had Serious Falls
This statistic is an indication of the percentage of long-term patients who had falls resulting in major injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but high rates of major falls could be an indication of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Surprise Health and Rehabilitation Center, 1.68% of Patients had UTIs
This figure indicates the percentage of long-term patients who have sustained urinary tract infections. Although more infections could reflect poorly on a facility's cleanliness, it is difficult to compare between facilities due to nursing homes having differing reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Surprise Health and Rehabilitation Center, 11.03% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents given antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications may be vital to many patients, it is important to ensure these drugs are being used only where medically required. In some situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean that a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Surprise Health and Rehabilitation Center, 16.78% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint tells you the percentage of long-term care residents taking antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Surprise Health and Rehabilitation Center, 3.1% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents exhibiting signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Surprise Health and Rehabilitation Center, 80.03% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Surprise Health and Rehabilitation Center, 11.03 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is a correlation between staying out of the emergency room and the quality of care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Surprise Health and Rehabilitation Center, 73.85% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percentage of short-term patients that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
- Banner Del E. Webb Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.48 miles away14502 West Meeker Boulevard Sun City West Arizona 85375Voluntary non-profit - Private(623) 524-4000
- Banner Boswell Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.75 miles away10401 West Thunderbird Boulevard Sun City Arizona 85351Voluntary non-profit - Other(623) 832-4000
- Abrazo Arrowhead CampusAcute Care Hospitals 11.22 miles away18701 North 67th Avenue Glendale Arizona 85308Proprietary(623) 561-1000
- Banner Thunderbird Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 13.14 miles away5555 West Thunderbird Road Glendale Arizona 85306Government - Hospital District or Authority(602) 865-4470
- Abrazo West CampusAcute Care Hospitals 13.89 miles away13677 West Mcdowell Road Goodyear Arizona 85395Proprietary(623) 882-1970
- Banner Estrella Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 15.03 miles away9201 West Thomas Road Phoenix Arizona 85037Voluntary non-profit - Private(623) 327-4000
- Copper Springs Hospital, LLCPsychiatric 15.1 miles away10550 West Mcdowell Road Avondale Arizona 85392Proprietary(480) 565-3035
- Honorhealth Deer Valley Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 16.14 miles away19829 North 27th Avenue Phoenix Arizona 85027Voluntary non-profit - Private(623) 879-6100
- Grand Home Dialysis (Dva)1.1 miles away14674 W Mountain View Blvd Ste 204 Surprise Arizona 85374Dialysis Stations: 4 (623) 546-6120
- West Brook Dialysis (Dva)2.05 miles away13907 W Camino Del Sol Sun City West Arizona 85375CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (623) 214-7088
- Granite Valley Dialysis (Fmc)3.23 miles away14510 W Shumway Dr Ste 100 Sun City West Arizona 85375Dialysis Stations: 18 (623) 546-2718
- Sun City West Dialysis (Fmc)4.55 miles away12213 W Bell Road Ste 110 Surprise Arizona 85374Dialysis Stations: 18 (623) 583-8865
- Palm Brook Dialysis Center (Dva)6.86 miles away14664 N Del Webb Blvd Sun City Arizona 85351CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (623) 583-6550
- Sun City Dialysis (Fmc)7.61 miles away10050 W Bell Rd Ste 29-31 Sun City Arizona 85351Dialysis Stations: 12 (623) 815-1770
- Desert Dialysis Srvs Inc-Sun City (Dva)8.1 miles away13000 N 103rd Ave Ste 66 Sun City Arizona 85351CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (623) 583-3131
- Phoenix Artificial Kidney Center (Fmc)8.72 miles away13090 N 94th Dr Ste 100 Peoria Arizona 85381CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (623) 974-5851