Sunshine Children's Home and Rehab Center is one of only three available nursing homes located in Ossining, New York. With an overall rating of A+, this facility is undoubtedly a first-rate facility. Indeed, this is actually the best facility in the city. Headlining this nursing home's stellar profile is its inspection reports, which we will address in the next paragraph.
Sunshine Children's Home and Rehab Center
- Nursing Home
- For Children
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Partnership
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Speech Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
To pair with its strong overall grade, we awarded this place an A+ for our inspection category. Our inspection grades weigh several factors included in a facility's inspection reports. One of the most important criteria we consider is the number and severity of deficiencies. Places with better grades in this area typically have very few of these severe deficiencies. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
In addition, this nursing home was given strong marks in the area of long-term care. Consequently, it was given one of our most impressive scores in that area with a grade of A+. Facilities that excel in long-term care tend to be well-staffed and provide extensive hands on care to residents. One of the statistics we considered after nursing hours was vaccinations. This facility administered the pneumonia vaccine to 99.08257 percent of its residents. Vaccination is a great way to avoid unnecessary deaths and hospitalizations for the nursing home population. Lastly, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. It had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Sunshine Children's Home and Rehab Center?
In addition, this facility received high marks in the area of nursing. As a result, it received one of our highest grades in that category with a score of A+. Our nursing rating is based on several factors, however, the main one is the number of nurse hours per patient per week. This nursing home averages 0.8 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This facility performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a place has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can many times be avoided if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Short-term Care Quality
In our last category, this nursing home also was given an impressive short-term care grade, with an A. This topped off a very favorable profile. Short-term care grades are based in part on a facility's quantity of highly-skilled nursing services. This means a wide spectrum of services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, as well as other types of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this facility employs registered nurses. Not every nursing home employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, according to the information this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Lastly, we considered the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 0 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Sunshine Children's Home and Rehab Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Sunshine Children's Home and Rehab Center, 9.62% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This measures the percentage of long-term residents which suffer from new or worsened pressure ulcers. Many experts believe that pressure ulcers are an indicator of a facility's nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Sunshine Children's Home and Rehab Center, 3.04% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of patients who sustained a major fall. Falls resulting in serious injury are considered to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care . Falls resulting in injury are routinely caused by lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Sunshine Children's Home and Rehab Center, 2.08% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of patients who sustained a urinary tract infection. These infections may be associated with insufficient hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Sunshine Children's Home and Rehab Center, 11.61% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure gauges the percentage of long-term patients receiving antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to make sure these drugs are being used appropriately. In limited cases, increased usage of these drugs may suggest that a facility is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Sunshine Children's Home and Rehab Center, 13.28% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic measures the percent of long-term stay patients receiving antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Sunshine Children's Home and Rehab Center, 13.6% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients exhibiting symptoms of depression. Increased levels of depression could be an indicator a lower level of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Sunshine Children's Home and Rehab Center, 91.89% of Patients
This is the percent of patients that were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
- Phelps Memorial Hospital AssnAcute Care Hospitals 5.94 miles away701 North Broadway Tarrytown New York 10591Voluntary non-profit - Other(914) 366-3000
- Northern Westchester HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.55 miles away400 East Main Street Mount Kisco New York 10549Voluntary non-profit - Private(914) 666-1200
- New York-Presbyterian/Hudson Valley HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.22 miles away1980 Crompond Road Cortlandt Manor New York 10567Voluntary non-profit - Private(914) 734-3611
- Westchester Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.67 miles away100 Woods Rd Valhalla New York 10595Government - Hospital District or Authority(914) 493-7000
- Nyack HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.83 miles away160 North Midland Avenue Nyack New York 10960Voluntary non-profit - Other(845) 348-2000
- Greenwich Hospital Association -Acute Care Hospitals 15.73 miles away5 Perryridge Rd Greenwich Connecticut 06830Voluntary non-profit - Private(203) 863-3000
- Good Samaritan Hospital of SuffernAcute Care Hospitals 15.78 miles away255 Lafayette Avenue Suffern New York 10901Voluntary non-profit - Church(845) 368-5000
- St John's Riverside HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.81 miles away976 North Broadway Yonkers New York 10701Voluntary non-profit - Private(914) 964-4444
- Freedom Center of Rockland County, LLC7.14 miles away131 Route 303 Valley Cottage New York 10989CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (845) 268-2777
- Yorktown Akc7.27 miles away2649 Strang Boulevard Dialysis Clinics, Inc Yorktown Heights New York 10598CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (914) 962-4005
- Davita Peekskill Cortlandt Dialysis Center7.63 miles away2050 East Main Street Suite 15 Cortlandt Manor New York 10567Dialysis Stations: 19 (914) 788-9326
- Dialysis Clinic Inc, Bradhurst8.14 miles away19 Bradhurst Avenue Hawthorne New York 10532CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (914) 592-4366
- Davita Hudson Valley Dialysis Center8.94 miles away155 White Plains Road Suite 107 Tarrytown New York 10591CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (914) 332-7599
- Friedwald Center for Dialysis9.72 miles away475 New Hempstead Road New City New York 10956Dialysis Stations: 9 (845) 678-2000
- Westchester Artificial Kidney Center10.01 miles away234 Tarrytown Road Dialysis Unit Elmsford New York 10523CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (914) 592-5858
- Rockland County Dialysis10.97 miles away203 West Route 59 Nanuet New York 10954Dialysis Stations: 20 (845) 501-7590