Sunset Village is a senior living facility located in Sylvania, Ohio, a city with a population of 32,226 people. Sporting an overall grade of A-, this nursing home is ranked among the better nursing homes we looked at. In fact, we were so impressed with this facility that we rated it as the number one facility in Sylvania. The best aspect of this nursing home's impressive profile was its short-term care score. We discuss short-term care in the next paragraph
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Recreational Therapy
- Aquatic Therapy
Best Nursing Home in Sylvania, Ohio Awards 2019
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
In addition to receiving a great overall grade, this facility also received A+ short-term care grade. In determining our short-term care ratings, we analyze the nursing home's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses, occupational therapists, physical therapists and other types of therapists. Our objective is to create a scale for sizing up the rehabilitation services of different facilities. Fortunately, it looks like this facility employs registered nurses. Not every nursing home employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, based on the information this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Finally, we assessed the number of patients that ultimately were able to return home from this facility. We found that 6.8 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home.
Among its many impressive grades, this facility received an excellent nursing grade. In fact, we gave it a grade of A in that category. Our nursing rating is largely tied to a nursing home's nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This facility performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a facility has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can generally be avoided if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Does this page answer your questions about Sunset Village?
In addition, this nursing home also earned a nearly flawless inspection report. It earned one of our highest grades in that category with an A-. Our inspection ratings are tied to datapoints located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Places that score well in this area have few deficiencies on those reports. Most importantly, these nursing homes generally do not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with risks to patient safety. While this facility had some minor dings on its government inspection report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are those labeled as categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This tells you that CMS didn't deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. A few relatively minor deficiencies aren't the end of the world.
Long-term Care Quality
The final area we scored was long-term care. In this category, we awarded this nursing home an acceptable grade of B-. This actually turned out to be this facility's weakest category. For patients seeking a permanent residence rather than rehabilitation, long-term care grades are a key measure. One of the data points we considered after nurse's aid hours is vaccines. Fortunately, this nursing home provided the pneumonia vaccination to 100 percent of its patients. This place also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. It had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Sunset Village Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Sunset Village, 7.61% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of patients that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, also called bed sores, are routinely the result of residents staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Sunset Village, 3.74% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of patients that have had a major fall. Falls leading to major injury are considered by many experts to be a measure of nursing care . Falls which result in injury are often the result of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Sunset Village, 1.71% of Patients had UTIs
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients who have suffered from UTI's. Although more infections may reflect poorly on a nursing home's nursing care, it can be problematic to compare between nursing homes due to facilities having reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Sunset Village, 13.23% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of residents prescribed antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic drugs are given to residents for a variety of conditions, including dementia. Tragically, in limited cases, excessive reliance on these medications may mean that a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Sunset Village, 22.46% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of long-term care residents that are prescribed antianxiety drugs. These drugs are used to treat patients experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Sunset Village, 20.26% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term patients who are showing depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Sunset Village, 90.12% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents that have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for nursing home residents, making these types of vaccines indispensable.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Sunset Village, 14.88% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of needing for assistance with activities of daily living could indicate the deterioration of a patient's health.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Sunset Village, 16.29% Percentage of Residents
Measures the percentage of long-term stay patients who remained mobile levels.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Sunset Village, 16.29 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
Measures the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term resident care. Keeping residents out of the hospital during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the physical well-being of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Sunset Village, 12 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Sunset Village, 75.25% Percentage of Resident
This is the percent of short-term residents that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
Scores for Sylvania, OH
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Sylvania, Ohio has 6 other nursing homes
- Mercy St Anne HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.02 miles away3404 Sylvania Avenue Toledo Ohio 43623Voluntary non-profit - Church(419) 407-2663
- Toledo Hospital TheAcute Care Hospitals 9.9 miles away2142 North Cove Boulevard Toledo Ohio 43606Voluntary non-profit - Private(419) 291-7463
- University of Toledo Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.6 miles away3000 Arlington Avenue Toledo Ohio 43699Government - State(419) 383-4848
- Northwest Ohio Psychiatric HospitalPsychiatric 11.3 miles away930 South Detroit Avenue Toledo Ohio 43614Government - State(419) 381-1881
- St Luke's HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.96 miles away5901 Monclova Road Maumee Ohio 43537Voluntary non-profit - Other(419) 893-5900
- Mercy Health St Vincent Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.56 miles away2213 Cherry Street Toledo Ohio 43608Voluntary non-profit - Church(419) 251-3232
- Bay Park Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 16.77 miles away2801 Bay Park Drive Oregon Ohio 43616Voluntary non-profit - Other(419) 690-7700
- Promedica Bixby HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 19.42 miles away818 Riverside Avenue Adrian Michigan 49221Voluntary non-profit - Private(517) 265-0900
- Davita - Flower Dialysis4.31 miles away5308 Harroun Rd., Suite 60 Sylvania Ohio 43560Dialysis Stations: 12 (419) 824-6074
- Dialysis Centers of Greater Toledo4.47 miles away7635 W. Sylvania Avenue Sylvania Ohio 43560Dialysis Stations: 15 (419) 517-2002
- Dialysis Center of Northwest Ohio, Ltd.6.7 miles away2249 North Reynolds Road Toledo Ohio 43615CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (419) 535-7415
- Us Renal Care Northwest Ohio Dialysis7.52 miles away3829 Woodley Road Suite C-12 Toledo Ohio 43606Dialysis Stations: 15 (419) 473-9900
- Fresenius Kidney Care Westgate7.77 miles away3546 West Sylvania Avenue Toledo Ohio 43623Dialysis Stations: 13 (419) 474-3379
- Fmc - Toledo Central Dialysis8.56 miles away3100 West Central Avenue, Suite 100 Toledo Ohio 43606CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (419) 539-4000
- Davita - West Toledo8.64 miles away2900 Carrskadon Avenue Toledo Ohio 43606Dialysis Stations: 17 (419) 531-0755
- Fmc - Toledo Laskey Dialysis8.88 miles away2532 W. Laskey Road Toledo Ohio 43613CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (419) 474-8995