Sunnyside Village is just one of 23 facilities in Sarasota, Florida. This facility is ranked among the most impressive facilities we found. Being awarded an A+ in our rating system requires top-notch marks across the board. In fact, we were so impressed with this facility that we rated it as the top nursing home in Sarasota. As you will see below, this nursing home performed equally well in our category grades. In fact, we gave it straight A's!
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Nov 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Sarasota senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Church related
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Palliative Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Aquatic Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Top Nursing Home in Florida Awards 2020
Registered Staff Hours
On top of being an elite nursing home overall, this facility performed well in our inspections category, where it received an A+. Very few places fared as well in this area. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in calculating our inspection grades. One key factor is health deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of deficiencies is arguably more important than the number of deficiencies, as some deficiencies end up being relatively minor. This facility was assessed 4 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none of the deficiencies were considered to be severe deficiencies. This tells you that the government inspectors did not deem any of these deficiencies to be an immediate risk to resident safety or health. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
This first-rate facility also excelled in the area of nursing, where it received a grade of A+. Few nursing homes performed better in this area. Our nursing rating is primarily tied to the facility's level of nurse staffing. This nursing home averages 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This facility performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a place has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can many times be avoided if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Does this page answer your questions about Sunnyside Village?
Short-term Care Quality
The next category we assessed is short-term care. This nursing home excelled in our short-term care rating as well. We gave them an impressive grade of A+ in this category. Short-term care scores are meaningful for prospective residents seeking rehabilitation. Rehabilitation typically utilizes higher levels of highly-skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing includes a wide spectrum of nursing services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, as well as other variations of therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not every nursing home employs these skilled professionals. However, according to the data this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Finally, we considered the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 6.3 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
Long-term Care Quality
In the final category, this facility was awarded another A+ for its long-term care grade. This completed a truly special report card of straight A+'s. When facilities receive a grade in this range in this category it typically means it's well-staffed and is an overall good place to reside on a permanent basis. Once we concluded our assessment of the quantity of care provided by nurses, we then looked at the facility's vaccination record. This nursing home vaccinated 100 percent of its residents against pneumonia, which is very impressive. Pneumonia can be a dangerous ailment for nursing home residents so we strongly prefer when a facility does not leave its residents vulnerable. Finally, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Sunnyside Village Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Sunnyside Village, 1.43% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This statistic measures the percentage of long-term care patients who have new or worsened pressure ulcers. We've found that pressure ulcers are a great barometer of nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Sunnyside Village, 1.85% of Patients had Serious Falls
This gauges the percent of long-term care residents who had falls resulting in major injury. We use this statistic in computing our nursing ratings.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Sunnyside Village, 4.64% of Patients had UTIs
This metric tells you the percent of long-term stay patients who have had a UTI. While more infections may reflect poorly on a nursing home's cleanliness, it is difficult to compare different facilities due to nursing homes having reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Sunnyside Village, 25.31% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of patients who were prescribed antipsychotic medications. These medications may be used for treating several conditions, including dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Sunnyside Village, 28.93% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of patients given antianxiety medications. Antianxiety drugs are prescribed to residents suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Sunnyside Village, 3.9% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term stay patients showing depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Sunnyside Village, 100% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Sunnyside Village, 12.74% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term residents that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as dressing and bathing.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Sunnyside Village, 20.7% of Residents
This metric tracks the percent of long-term care residents who maintained mobility.
In Sunnyside Village, 0.01 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. Keeping residents out of the hospital is important to preserving the physical well-being of nursing home residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Sunnyside Village, 20.7% of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Sunnyside Village, 8.51% of Patients
This is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care. Staying out of the emergency room is one way to assess short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Sunnyside Village, 86.25% of Resident
This is the percent of short-term care patients that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. High levels of independence with activities of daily living often correlates with successful rehabilitation services.
Scores for Sarasota, FL
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Sarasota, Florida has 22 other nursing homes
- Doctors Hospital of SarasotaAcute Care Hospitals 1.82 miles away5731 Bee Ridge Rd Sarasota Florida 34233Proprietary(941) 342-1100
- Sarasota Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.93 miles away1700 S Tamiami Trl Sarasota Florida 34239Government - Hospital District or Authority(941) 917-9000
- Lakewood Ranch Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.19 miles away8330 Lakewood Ranch Blvd Bradenton Florida 34202Proprietary(941) 782-2100
- Manatee Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.08 miles away206 2nd St E Bradenton Florida 34208Proprietary(941) 746-5111
- Blake Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 14.19 miles away2020 59th St W Bradenton Florida 34209Proprietary(941) 792-6611
- Venice Regional Medical Center - Bayfront HealthAcute Care Hospitals 16.06 miles away540 the Rialto Venice Florida 34285Proprietary(941) 485-7711
- Fmc - Sarasota Coastal Dialysis Center2.2 miles away2989 Fruitville Rd Sarasota Florida 34237CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (941) 373-9270
- Us Renal Care Sarasota4.03 miles away1921 Waldemere St Ste 107 Sarasota Florida 34239CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 37 (941) 917-6444
- Fresenius Kidney Care Sarasota Trails4.55 miles away4012 S Tamiami Trail Sarasota Florida 34231Dialysis Stations: 17 (941) 924-0003
- Manasota Dialysis4.81 miles away6960 Professional Pkwy E Units 4 & 5 Sarasota Florida 34240Dialysis Stations: 16 (941) 362-2864
- Fmc - North Sarasota Dialysis Center5.09 miles away8037 Cooper Creek Blvd Bradenton Florida 34201Dialysis Stations: 14 (941) 351-1641
- Lakewood Ranch Dialysis5.73 miles away8470 Cooper Creek Blvd Bradenton Florida 34201Dialysis Stations: 12 (941) 359-0676
- Bradenton Dialysis12.22 miles away3501 Cortez Rd W Bradenton Florida 34210Dialysis Stations: 16 (941) 727-4209
- Southwest Florida Dialysis Center12.85 miles away520 Manatee Ave East Bradenton Florida 34208Dialysis Stations: 24 (941) 747-5500