Sunnyside Nursing Center is in Torrance, California. This city has 174,353 people. We awarded it an overall grade of B-, which is a middle of the pack grade. This grade was right in line with the city grade in Torrance. One of the better aspects of this nursing home's report card is its impressive inspection reports, which you can find in the next paragraph.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Sunnyside Nursing Center
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Torrance senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Dialysis Transportation
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
We would like to point out that this facility's inspection grade exceeded its overall grade. This facility earned a B in this category, which is a quality score. Arguably the most significant factor we consider in computing our inspection ratings is deficiencies. Deficiencies are found on a facility's inspection reports. Facilities with better grades in this area most likely dodged the most severe deficiencies involving patient abuse or death. This place was hit with 3 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none were considered to be major deficiencies. This means that the government inspectors did not deem any of the deficiencies an imminent threat to resident health or safety. A couple minor deficiencies are not the end of the world.
Short-term Care Quality
Another one of this facility's better category scores was in the area of short-term care. In that area, we gave this nursing home a B. It actually performed better than most nursing homes in this category. In forming our short-term care scores, we quantify the facility's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses, respiratory therapists, physical therapists and other types of therapists. Our objective is to devise a barometer for comparing the rehabilitation services of different nursing homes. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like this nursing home submitted registered nurse or physical therapist staffing data. The last metric we looked at in this category is the percentage of residents that who were able to eventually return home from the facility. We found that 5.8 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home as opposed to remaining at the facility on a permanent basis.
Does this page answer your questions about Sunnyside Nursing Center?
This nursing home's nursing grade appears to be one of its better features. The facility received a grade of B- in this category. There are numerous criteria within this area. Many of these criteria relate to the quantity and quality of nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a much lower figure than we are used to seeing. Lastly, we also looked at several nursing quality measures. While this facility got dinged a bit for its nursing hours, it actually excelled in a few of these quality-based measures. With fewer than five percent of its residents suffering from pressure ulcers, it did very well in this metric. This is often a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can many times be prevented by providing better nursing care, such as having a system of moving residents more often.
Long-term Care Quality
The final area we graded was long-term care. We gave this facility a B- in this area. Long-term care grades are meaningful for individuals in need of non-healthcare services such as personal care. In addition to looking at the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we also looked at the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility vaccinated 100 percent of its patients. This place keeps its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Sunnyside Nursing Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Sunnyside Nursing Center, 7.79% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This figure tells you the percentage of long-term residents who are suffering from new or worsened pressure ulcers. We have found that pressure ulcers are an barometer of quality of care.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Sunnyside Nursing Center, 1.84% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure tells you the percent of long-term residents who experienced falls which resulted in serious injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but high rates of major falls could be an indicator of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Sunnyside Nursing Center, 1.34% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of patients who suffered from a urinary tract infection. These infections could be linked to poor hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Sunnyside Nursing Center, 10.3% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term stay residents who are given antipsychotic drugs. High levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents in scenarios where such medications aren't medically indicated. Nevertheless, some nursing homes may need to rely on these medications due to having more patients with Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Sunnyside Nursing Center, 13.84% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure gauges the percentage of long-term patients which are given antianxiety drugs. These medications are generally used to treat residents experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Sunnyside Nursing Center, 5.83% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term residents who are exhibiting signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Sunnyside Nursing Center, 95.65% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents who received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Sunnyside Nursing Center, 8.26% Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term residents who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as taking medications and taking a bath.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Sunnyside Nursing Center, 10.41% Percentage of Residents
This is the percent of residents who remained mobile levels over time. Optimizing mobility is often a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Sunnyside Nursing Center, 1.78 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care. There is generally a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and the quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Sunnyside Nursing Center, 10.41 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric measures the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care. Keeping residents out of the hospital during rehabilitation is key to restoring the physical well-being of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Sunnyside Nursing Center, 11.34 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care. Staying out of the emergency room is one way to assess short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Sunnyside Nursing Center, 79.12% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term stay patients who saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
Scores for Torrance, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Torrance, California has 5 other nursing homes
- Lac/Harbor-Ucla Med CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.8 miles away1000 W Carson St Torrance California 90502Government - Local(310) 222-2101
- Torrance Memorial Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.1 miles away3330 Lomita Blvd Torrance California 90509Voluntary non-profit - Other(310) 325-9110
- Del Amo HospitalPsychiatric 3.14 miles away23700 Camino Del Sol Torrance California 90505Proprietary(310) 530-1151
- College Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.64 miles away2776 Pacific Avenue Long Beach California 90806Proprietary(562) 595-1911
- St Mary Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.64 miles away1050 Linden Ave Long Beach California 90813Voluntary non-profit - Church(562) 491-9000
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.58 miles away1680 East 120th Street Los Angeles California 90059Voluntary non-profit - Private(424) 835-6808
- Lakewood Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.51 miles away3700 E South St Lakewood California 90712Proprietary(562) 602-6751
- Pih Hospital - DowneyAcute Care Hospitals 11.93 miles away11500 Brookshire Avenue Downey California 90241Voluntary non-profit - Private(526) 904-5000
- Davita-Harbor Ucla0.82 miles away21602 S. Vermont Avenue Torrance California 90502CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (310) 533-0413
- Davita-Carson Dialysis1.16 miles away1309 E. Carson Street Carson California 90745CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (310) 513-1427
- Fmc-South Bay Home Therapy2.09 miles away1223 Pacific Coast Highway Harbor City California 90710Dialysis Stations: 6 (310) 325-0416
- Fmc-South Bay2.14 miles away1221 Pacific Coast Highway Harbor City California 90710CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (310) 539-1221
- u.s. Renal Care Carson Dialysis2.23 miles away930 East Dominguez Street, Suite A Carson California 90746CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (310) 532-5100
- Fmc-Carson2.38 miles away20710 S. Leapwood Avenue, Suite F Carson California 90746Dialysis Stations: 11 (310) 323-8997
- u.s. Renal Care Lomita Dialysis2.39 miles away1830 Lomita Blvd. Lomita California 90717CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (310) 530-7796
- Davita-Rolling Hills Dialysis2.78 miles away25210 Crenshaw Blvd., Suite 110 Torrance California 90505Dialysis Stations: 27 (310) 530-1180