Sun West Choice Healthcare & Rehab is in Sun City West, Arizona. This city has 27,703 people. Featuring an overall grade of D, this is a subpar facility. If you are not satisfied with this facility's pedestrian overall grade, you may have to look in other cities as this is the only nursing home in Sun City West. More information on this nursing home's category grades is available below. Its best category was inspections, which is addressed in the next paragraph.
Sun West Choice Healthcare & Rehab
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
Note: Sun West Choice Healthcare & Rehab has been flagged for abuse in the past 12 months. We have capped this facility's overall grade accordingly.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Catheter Care
- Lymphedema Care
Registered Staff Hours
While we were not high on this facility overall, we awarded it a B- for our inspections rating. This grade is better than this place's overall score. Inspection scores weigh several factors found on a facility's inspection reports. One key criteria we rely on is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. While this place had a few deficiencies on its government inspection report, none of them were severe based on CMS' scale. Lastly, this facility was flagged by CMS for possible abuse or neglect. We prefer to avoid facilities with this designation. Please do your best to find an alternative nursing home.
We also want to point out that this facility received a decent grade in our nursing category. We awarded it a grade of B- in the area. The nursing score includes quite a few components, most of which are associated with nursing hours. This facility provided just 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a relatively low total compared to most other facilities. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this nursing home excelled in some of the quality measures we looked at. It scored well in the area of minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls.
Does this page answer your questions about Sun West Choice Healthcare & Rehab?
Short-term Care Quality
The third most favorable category we gave this facility in any area came in the category of short-term care, where we awarded it a grade of B-. Our short-term care grades are crucial for prospective residents in need of rehabilitation. Rehabilitation typically requires additional highly-skilled nursing services. This includes a vast range of services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, as well as other variations of therapy. Unfortunately, this nursing home was below average in terms of its number of physical therapy and registered nurse hours provided to its patients based on the measures we assessed. The real question is whether this also affected quality of care. The final item we considered in this category is the percentage of patients that returned home from the nursing home. We found that just 6.1 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
Long-term Care Quality
The next area we assessed is long-term care. In this category, we gave this nursing home a grade of B-. In determining these long-term care ratings, we analyze the nursing home's personal care services. In addition to assessing the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we analyzed the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home gave the vaccine to 100 percent of its residents, which is higher than the vast majority of nursing homes. This nursing home also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. It had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Sun West Choice Healthcare & Rehab Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Sun West Choice Healthcare & Rehab, 8.97% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of patients who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage due to staying in the same position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Sun West Choice Healthcare & Rehab, 2.2% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of residents that suffered from a fall leading to severe injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Sun West Choice Healthcare & Rehab, 1.68% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint is an indication of the percentage of long-term patients which have had a UTI. Although a higher rate infections could reflect poorly on a facility's nursing care, it is problematic to compare different facilities due to facilities having inconsistent reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Sun West Choice Healthcare & Rehab, 11.03% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of residents given antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications may be helpful for many residents, it is important to confirm these drugs are being used appropriately. In some cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Sun West Choice Healthcare & Rehab, 16.78% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic indicates the percent of long-term residents receiving antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Sun West Choice Healthcare & Rehab, 3.1% of Patients
This is the percent of residents who are showing signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Sun West Choice Healthcare & Rehab, 80.03% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents that have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Sun West Choice Healthcare & Rehab, 12.44% Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term care patients who required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as dressing and continence.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Sun West Choice Healthcare & Rehab, 20.97% Percentage of Residents
This is the percentage of residents that were able to retain mobility over time. Retaining mobility is usually a good sign for residents' health.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Sun West Choice Healthcare & Rehab, 20.97 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
Measures the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Minimizing rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is important to restoring the physical well-being of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Sun West Choice Healthcare & Rehab, 11.03 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Sun West Choice Healthcare & Rehab, 73.85% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percentage of short-term care residents that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Higher levels of independence with ADL's often correlates with superior rehabilitation.
- Banner Del E. Webb Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.51 miles away14502 West Meeker Boulevard Sun City West Arizona 85375Voluntary non-profit - Private(623) 524-4000
- Banner Boswell Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6 miles away10401 West Thunderbird Boulevard Sun City Arizona 85351Voluntary non-profit - Other(623) 832-4000
- Abrazo Arrowhead CampusAcute Care Hospitals 9.25 miles away18701 North 67th Avenue Glendale Arizona 85308Proprietary(623) 561-1000
- Banner Thunderbird Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.19 miles away5555 West Thunderbird Road Glendale Arizona 85306Government - Hospital District or Authority(602) 865-4470
- Abrazo West CampusAcute Care Hospitals 13.43 miles away13677 West Mcdowell Road Goodyear Arizona 85395Proprietary(623) 882-1970
- Banner Estrella Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 13.86 miles away9201 West Thomas Road Phoenix Arizona 85037Voluntary non-profit - Private(623) 327-4000
- Copper Springs Hospital, LLCPsychiatric 14.15 miles away10550 West Mcdowell Road Avondale Arizona 85392Proprietary(480) 565-3035
- Honorhealth Deer Valley Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 14.18 miles away19829 North 27th Avenue Phoenix Arizona 85027Voluntary non-profit - Private(623) 879-6100
- West Brook Dialysis (Dva)0.12 miles away13907 W Camino Del Sol Sun City West Arizona 85375CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (623) 214-7088
- Grand Home Dialysis (Dva)0.98 miles away14674 W Mountain View Blvd Ste 204 Surprise Arizona 85374Dialysis Stations: 4 (623) 546-6120
- Granite Valley Dialysis (Fmc)1.27 miles away14510 W Shumway Dr Ste 100 Sun City West Arizona 85375Dialysis Stations: 18 (623) 546-2718
- Sun City West Dialysis (Fmc)2.68 miles away12213 W Bell Road Ste 110 Surprise Arizona 85374Dialysis Stations: 18 (623) 583-8865
- Palm Brook Dialysis Center (Dva)5.04 miles away14664 N Del Webb Blvd Sun City Arizona 85351CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (623) 583-6550
- Sun City Dialysis (Fmc)5.79 miles away10050 W Bell Rd Ste 29-31 Sun City Arizona 85351Dialysis Stations: 12 (623) 815-1770
- Desert Dialysis Srvs Inc-Sun City (Dva)6.4 miles away13000 N 103rd Ave Ste 66 Sun City Arizona 85351CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (623) 583-3131
- Phoenix Artificial Kidney Center (Fmc)6.9 miles away13090 N 94th Dr Ste 100 Peoria Arizona 85381CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (623) 974-5851