Sun Health La Loma Care Center is in Litchfield Park, Arizona. This nursing home is an A+ rated facility. Being awarded an A+ in our grading scheme requires top-notch marks across the board. In fact, this nursing home has the distinction of being one of the three best facilities in Arizona. One of the major highlights of this nursing home's exemplary profile is its nursing rating. Nursing grades are discussed in the next section.
Sun Health La Loma Care Center
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
14260 South Denny Boulevard,
Litchfield Park AZ 85340
65.34% estimated occupancy 1
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- No Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Top Nursing Home in Arizona Awards 2019
Top Nursing Home in Arizona Awards 2020
Top Nursing Home in Arizona Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to being a first rate facility overall, this nursing home also excelled in the category of nursing, where it received a grade of A+. Few nursing homes fared better in this area. There are a host of factors within this category. Most of the criteria are tied to nurse staffing. This particular nursing home provided 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This facility performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a nursing home has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can many times be avoided if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Long-term Care Quality
We also wanted to draw your attention to the fact that this facility excelled in our long-term care rating. We gave them an exemplary score of A+ in this category. Facilities that receive this kind of score in this category tend to provide consistent around the clock care to ensure patients are kept in good health. In addition to considering the volume of care provided by nurses and other staff, we analyzed the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home provided the vaccine to 100 percent of its residents, which is what we like to see. Pneumonia sadly is often a life threatening condition for nursing home patients so we prefer when a nursing home does not leave its residents vulnerable. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. It had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Sun Health La Loma Care Center?
Adding to an already impressive profile, this facility also received virtually flawless health inspections in recent years. As a result, we awarded it an A+ inspection grade. Inspection ratings weigh several factors found on a nursing home's inspection report. One key criteria we weigh heavily is the number and severity of deficiencies. Places with higher scores in this category tend to have few severe deficiencies. Fortunately, although this place had a few minor dings on its government inspection report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are labeled as categories G through L. This tells you the inspectors did not consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Short-term Care Quality
Turning to our fourth category, this nursing home also received an A+ short-term care rating, rendering it one of the few of nursing homes to be given all A+'s. Our short-term care grades are meaningful for residents seeking rehabilitation. Rehabilitation typically mandates higher levels of highly-skilled nursing. Skilled nursing includes a broad range of services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, as well as other variations of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not every facility employs these skilled professionals. However, according to the data this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The final metric we looked at in this category is the percentage of residents who were able to leave the nursing home and return home. We discovered that 6.2 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Sun Health La Loma Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Sun Health La Loma Care Center, 8.99% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of residents who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage due to remaining in the same position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Sun Health La Loma Care Center, 3.04% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of residents that have had a major fall. Falls leading to major injuries are routinely linked to poor nursing care. More supervision reduces the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Sun Health La Loma Care Center, 1.4% of Patients had UTIs
This figure is an indication of the percentage of long-term care patients that experienced a urinary tract infection. UTI's may be a sign of a facility with worst hygiene practices. Nevertheless, this metric could also be misleading for certain facilities due to different reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Sun Health La Loma Care Center, 11.79% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is an indication of the percentage of long-term residents receiving antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs serve an important medical purpose, it is important to make sure these medications are being used only where medically required. In some situations, increased usage of these drugs may indicate a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Sun Health La Loma Care Center, 17.9% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic measures the percent of long-term care residents who are prescribed antianxiety drugs. These medications are given to residents experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Sun Health La Loma Care Center, 3.74% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients showing depressive symptoms. Higher rates of depression could imply a lower level of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Sun Health La Loma Care Center, 74.57% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients that have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Sun Health La Loma Care Center, 12.93% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as moving around and eating.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Sun Health La Loma Care Center, 15.66% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percent of residents who remained mobile levels over time. Retaining mobility is usually a good sign for residents' well-being.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Sun Health La Loma Care Center, 15.66 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is typically a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Sun Health La Loma Care Center, 11.86 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care. There is a correlation between staying out of the emergency room and the overall quality of care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Sun Health La Loma Care Center, 75.23% Percentage of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term stay residents that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
- Abrazo West CampusAcute Care Hospitals 3.26 miles away13677 West Mcdowell Road Goodyear Arizona 85395Proprietary(623) 882-1970
- Copper Springs Hospital, LLCPsychiatric 5.49 miles away10550 West Mcdowell Road Avondale Arizona 85392Proprietary(480) 565-3035
- Banner Estrella Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.54 miles away9201 West Thomas Road Phoenix Arizona 85037Voluntary non-profit - Private(623) 327-4000
- Banner Boswell Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.96 miles away10401 West Thunderbird Boulevard Sun City Arizona 85351Voluntary non-profit - Other(623) 832-4000
- Banner Del E. Webb Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.2 miles away14502 West Meeker Boulevard Sun City West Arizona 85375Voluntary non-profit - Private(623) 524-4000
- Banner Thunderbird Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.65 miles away5555 West Thunderbird Road Glendale Arizona 85306Government - Hospital District or Authority(602) 865-4470
- Abrazo Arrowhead CampusAcute Care Hospitals 13.52 miles away18701 North 67th Avenue Glendale Arizona 85308Proprietary(623) 561-1000
- Abrazo Central CampusAcute Care Hospitals 15.17 miles away2000 West Bethany Home Road Phoenix Arizona 85015Physician(602) 249-0212
- Avondale Dialysis (Dsi)3.65 miles away13055 W Mcdowell Rd Ste f101 Avondale Arizona 85392Dialysis Stations: 24 (623) 935-5460
- Palm Valley Dialysis (Fmc)5.24 miles away13657 W Mcdowell Rd Ste 106 Goodyear Arizona 85338Dialysis Stations: 12 (623) 536-1096
- Avondale Dialysis (Fmc)5.3 miles away10750 W Mcdowell Rd Ste e500 Avondale Arizona 85323CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (623) 643-9334
- Goodyear Dialysis (Fmc)5.89 miles away500 N Bullard Ave Ste c34 Goodyear Arizona 85338CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (623) 925-8955
- Fresenius Kidney Care Westgate Home6.42 miles away6622 N 91st Avenue Ste 210 Glendale Arizona 85305Dialysis Stations: 1 (623) 877-0209
- Fresenius Kidney Care Westgate6.42 miles away6622 N 91st Ave Suite 120 Glendale Arizona 85305Dialysis Stations: 23 (623) 772-1334
- Estrella Mountain Dialysis, LLC (Ara)6.46 miles away9250 West Thomas Road Suite 120 Phoenix Arizona 85037CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (623) 772-7363
- Southwest Kidney Dialysis - Estrella (Dva)7.42 miles away8410 W Thomas Rd Ste 100 Bldg 1 Phoenix Arizona 85037CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (623) 247-0808