Sun Health La Loma Care Center is in Litchfield Park, Arizona. This nursing home is an A+ rated facility. Being awarded an A+ in our grading scheme requires top-notch marks across the board. In fact, this nursing home has the distinction of being one of the three best facilities in Arizona. One of the major highlights of this nursing home's exemplary profile is its nursing rating. Nursing grades are discussed in the next section.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Sun Health La Loma Care Center
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Nov 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Litchfield Park senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- No Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Top Nursing Home in Arizona Awards 2019
Top Nursing Home in Arizona Awards 2020
Top Nursing Home in Arizona Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to being a first rate facility overall, this nursing home also excelled in the category of nursing, where it received a grade of A+. Few nursing homes fared better in this area. There are a host of factors within this category. Most of the criteria are tied to nurse staffing. This particular nursing home provided 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This facility performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a nursing home has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can many times be avoided if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
This facility has also received near flawless health inspections in recent years. We awarded them an impressive grade of A+ in this category. Inspection scores account for several factors included in a facility's inspection report. One of the most important criteria we weigh heavily is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. Places with higher grades in this category usually have few severe deficiencies. While this facility had a few deficiencies on its government inspection report, none were severe based on CMS' deficiency scale. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Does this page answer your questions about Sun Health La Loma Care Center?
Long-term Care Quality
The next category we assessed is long-term care. This nursing home also was given an A+ long-term care grade, making it one of the few facilities to be given several A+ category scores. Nursing homes that receive this type of grade in long-term care typically provide consistent 24/7 care to ensure residents are kept in good health. On top of assessing the volume of care provided by aids and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility provided the vaccine to 100 percent of its residents, which is significantly higher than most nursing homes. Lastly, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Short-term Care Quality
The last area we scored is short-term care, where this nursing home was given a grade of A. This topped off a very favorable profile. Not many facilities received an A- or better in every category. Our short-term care grades are thought to be most meaningful for folks needing a nursing home for rehabilitation. Rehabilitation typically mandates higher levels of skilled nursing. Skilled nursing means not merely nursing, but also physical and occupational therapy, as well as other variations of therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not every facility employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, based on the information this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The last metric we assessed in this category is the percentage of patients who were able to leave the nursing home and return to the community. We found that 5.6 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Sun Health La Loma Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Sun Health La Loma Care Center, 1.45% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This statistic indicates the percentage of long-term care patients who are suffering from pressure ulcers . We bake this statistic into our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Sun Health La Loma Care Center, 0% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of residents that suffered from a major fall. Falls leading to major injuries are considered by many experts to be a measure of the quality of nursing care . Falls leading to injury are often caused by lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Sun Health La Loma Care Center, 0% of Patients had UTIs
This metric indicates the percentage of long-term patients which experienced urinary tract infections. Although a higher rate of these infections could reflect poorly on a nursing home's hygiene protocols, it can be problematic to compare different nursing homes due to varying reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Sun Health La Loma Care Center, 12.33% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of long-term stay residents receiving antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to make sure these medications are being used only where medically required. In some cases, increased usage of these drugs may mean a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Sun Health La Loma Care Center, 16% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This gauges the percentage of long-term patients receiving antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Sun Health La Loma Care Center, 0% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term care patients who are exhibiting symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Sun Health La Loma Care Center, 100% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients who were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Sun Health La Loma Care Center, 6.52% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Sun Health La Loma Care Center, 16.81% of Residents
This tells you the percent of patients that retained mobility levels over time. Preserving mobility can be a great sign for residents' well-being.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Sun Health La Loma Care Center, 16.81% of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Sun Health La Loma Care Center, 19.99% of Patients
This tells you the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Sun Health La Loma Care Center, 84.89% of Resident
This tells you the percent of short-term stay residents who saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
- Abrazo West CampusAcute Care Hospitals 3.26 miles away13677 West Mcdowell Road Goodyear Arizona 85395Proprietary(623) 882-1970
- Copper Springs Hospital, LLCPsychiatric 5.49 miles away10550 West Mcdowell Road Avondale Arizona 85392Proprietary(480) 565-3035
- Banner Estrella Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.54 miles away9201 West Thomas Road Phoenix Arizona 85037Voluntary non-profit - Private(623) 327-4000
- Banner Boswell Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.96 miles away10401 West Thunderbird Boulevard Sun City Arizona 85351Voluntary non-profit - Other(623) 832-4000
- Banner Del E. Webb Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.2 miles away14502 West Meeker Boulevard Sun City West Arizona 85375Voluntary non-profit - Private(623) 524-4000
- Banner Thunderbird Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.65 miles away5555 West Thunderbird Road Glendale Arizona 85306Government - Hospital District or Authority(602) 865-4470
- Abrazo Arrowhead CampusAcute Care Hospitals 13.52 miles away18701 North 67th Avenue Glendale Arizona 85308Proprietary(623) 561-1000
- Abrazo Central CampusAcute Care Hospitals 15.17 miles away2000 West Bethany Home Road Phoenix Arizona 85015Physician(602) 249-0212
- Avondale Dialysis (Dsi)3.65 miles away13055 W Mcdowell Rd Ste f101 Avondale Arizona 85392Dialysis Stations: 24 (623) 935-5460
- Palm Valley Dialysis (Fmc)5.24 miles away13657 W Mcdowell Rd Ste 106 Goodyear Arizona 85338Dialysis Stations: 12 (623) 536-1096
- Avondale Dialysis (Fmc)5.3 miles away10750 W Mcdowell Rd Ste e500 Avondale Arizona 85323CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (623) 643-9334
- Goodyear Dialysis (Fmc)5.89 miles away500 N Bullard Ave Ste c34 Goodyear Arizona 85338CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (623) 925-8955
- Fresenius Kidney Care Westgate Home6.42 miles away6622 N 91st Avenue Ste 210 Glendale Arizona 85305Dialysis Stations: 1 (623) 877-0209
- Fresenius Kidney Care Westgate6.42 miles away6622 N 91st Ave Suite 120 Glendale Arizona 85305Dialysis Stations: 23 (623) 772-1334
- Estrella Mountain Dialysis, LLC (Ara)6.46 miles away9250 West Thomas Road Suite 120 Phoenix Arizona 85037CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (623) 772-7363
- Southwest Kidney Dialysis - Estrella (Dva)7.42 miles away8410 W Thomas Rd Ste 100 Bldg 1 Phoenix Arizona 85037CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (623) 247-0808