Summit Ridge Center is one of five facilities in West Orange, New Jersey. This proved to be a highly rated facility, with an overall grade of B+. This turned out to be one of the three best facilities in West Orange. This place is stronger in some categories than others, but it didn't have any weak links in any of our major categories discussed below. More information about these categories can be found below.
Summit Ridge Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- No Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Colostomy Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
One of the many reasons this turned out to be a quality nursing home is that it received an A+ inspection grade. This is simply as good as it gets in this critical category. Inspection scores weigh a host of factors found on a facility's inspection report. One of the most important criteria we consider is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. Nursing homes with higher scores in this category usually have very few severe deficiencies. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home was awarded a strong long-term care grade as well. We gave it one of our better scores in that category with a score of B+. When nursing homes receive a score in this range in long-term care it generally means it has plenty of staff and is an overall good place to live on a permanent basis. In addition to assessing the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we analyzed the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility gave the vaccine to 98.07229 percent of its patients, which is much higher than the average nursing home. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Summit Ridge Center?
In addition, this facility also received favorable nursing grades this year. In fact, we awarded them one of our better scores in that area, with a grade of B. In computing a nursing home's nursing rating, we look at the quantity of hours nurses commit to residents as well as the level of skill of those nurses. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This place performed very well in terms of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Short-term Care Quality
The next area we graded was short-term care. We awarded this facility a solid score in this category, with a B-. While this wasn't as dominant as many of its other scores, it is still not the end of the world. Our short-term care scores are based in part on the nursing home's quantity of highly-skilled nursing services. This means a vast spectrum of services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, not to mention other forms of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not all nursing homes employs these skilled professionals. However, according to the data they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The final statistic we assessed in this category is the number of residents that eventually returned home from the facility. We found that just 4.8 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Summit Ridge Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Summit Ridge Center, 9.28% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of residents that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage caused by staying in one position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Summit Ridge Center, 2.53% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients who suffered a fall resulting in major injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but high rates of major falls may be an indicator of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Summit Ridge Center, 1.65% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of residents who sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered to be a barometer of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are routinely linked to a facility with worst hygiene practices. However, this metric could be misleading for certain facilities due to varying reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Summit Ridge Center, 10.6% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of residents given antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs may be helpful for many residents, it is important to ensure these medications are being used only where medically required. In some cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean that a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Summit Ridge Center, 17.42% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term stay residents which are prescribed antianxiety medication. These drugs are generally used to treat residents experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Summit Ridge Center, 5.95% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents demonstrating symptoms of depression. Many argue that this is a reasonable measure of patient quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Summit Ridge Center, 91.97% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Summit Ridge Center, 10.68% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term stay patients that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as dressing and bathing. Many would argue that this is a reasonable measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Summit Ridge Center, 12.9% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percentage of patients who maintained mobility over time. Preserving mobility can be a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Summit Ridge Center, 1.68 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Summit Ridge Center, 12.9 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric measures the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term resident care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Summit Ridge Center, 8.37 Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Summit Ridge Center, 80.92% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term care patients that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Higher levels of performance with ADL's often correlates with superior rehabilitation services.
Scores for West Orange, NJ
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? West Orange, New Jersey has 4 other nursing homes
- Saint Barnabas Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.03 miles away94 Old Short Hills Road Livingston New Jersey 07039Voluntary non-profit - Other(973) 322-5000
- East Orange General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.16 miles away300 Central Ave East Orange New Jersey 07018Voluntary non-profit - Private(973) 266-4401
- Essex County Hospital CenterPsychiatric 5.08 miles away204 Grove Avenue Cedar Grove New Jersey 07009Government - Local(973) 571-2801
- University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.55 miles away150 Bergen St Newark New Jersey 07101Government - State(973) 972-5658
- Newark Beth Israel Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.36 miles away201 Lyons Ave Newark New Jersey 07112Voluntary non-profit - Private(973) 926-7850
- Overlook Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.56 miles away99 Beauvoir Avenue Summit New Jersey 07902Voluntary non-profit - Other(908) 522-2000
- St Mary's General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.96 miles away350 Boulevard Passaic New Jersey 07055Proprietary(973) 365-4300
- Trinitas Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.56 miles away225 Williamson Street Elizabeth New Jersey 07207Voluntary non-profit - Private(908) 994-5000
- Total Renal Care, Inc West Orange Dialysis1.11 miles away375 Mount Pleasant Avenue Ste 340 West Orange New Jersey 07052Dialysis Stations: 19 (973) 243-7069
- Fresenius Medical Care Livingston, LLC1.63 miles away348 East Northfield Road Livingston New Jersey 07039CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (973) 535-0667
- Ara Dialysis Center at West Orange2.15 miles away101 Old Shorts Hills Road Ste 120 Carlstadt New Jersey 07072CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (973) 736-8300
- Fmc Orange Dc2.71 miles away258 Central Ave Orange New Jersey 07050CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (973) 675-3400
- Ea Orange Gen Hospital2.75 miles away310 Central Avenue Medical Arts Building - Dialysis Unit East Orange New Jersey 07017CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 29 (973) 395-4035
- Davita East Orange Dialysis3.54 miles away14-20 Prospect Street East Orange New Jersey 07017CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (973) 672-2025
- Fresenius Medical Care North Montclair3.9 miles away114 Valley Road Montclair New Jersey 07042CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (973) 744-2058
- Fkc Acc Livingston St Barnabas So Orange Ave4.06 miles awayAcc Livingston Hemodialysis 200 So Orange Avenue Livingston New Jersey 07039CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (973) 322-7150