Summerfield Health Care Center is a senior living facility in Santa Rosa, California, which has 209,844 people. This is a lower end nursing home, with an overall grade of D. This facility seems to have very little working in its favor. More information on this nursing home's category grades may be found below. Its best category was inspections, which is addressed in the next paragraph.
Summerfield Health Care Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
Note: Summerfield Health Care Center has been flagged for abuse in the past 12 months. We have capped this facility's overall grade accordingly.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Lymphedema Care
Registered Staff Hours
While we were not high on this facility overall, we awarded it a B- for inspections. This score is better than this facility's overall grade. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in determining our inspection ratings. One of those factors is health deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of these deficiencies is usually more important than the number of deficiencies, as some of these end up being quite insignificant. We weren't able to track down information on deficiency's for this nursing home. Finally, CMS flagged this nursing home for possible abuse or neglect. This is not what you want to see. We advise you to direct your search elsewhere.
One of the other reasons we rated this nursing home so highly is that it received a very impressive nursing score. In that category, we gave this nursing home a grade of B-. Our nursing grade features numerous datapoints. The most heavily weighted one is the quantity of hours nurses spend with residents. This facility provided just 0.4 hours of nursing care per patient each day. This figure is far below average. Finally, although this nursing home got dinged a bit for its nursing hours per resident, it actually excelled in a few of our quality metrics. With less than five percent of its patients suffering from pressure ulcers, it did very well in this metric.
Does this page answer your questions about Summerfield Health Care Center?
Short-term Care Quality
This facilities next most favorable area was short-term care. We gave it a grade of B- in this category. This is essentially a middle of the pack grade in this area. In our short-term care rating, we strive to create a valuable measure for rehabilitation. In doing so, we analyze a facility's offerings of skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as occupational therapy. In this place's case, we were surprised to learn that it actually provides less physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than the average facility. Finally, we looked at the number of residents who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 7 percent of this facility's residents returned home. At most nursing homes, closer to half of their residents are able to return home so this figure is below average.
Long-term Care Quality
The next category we analyzed is long-term care. We awarded it a grade of C in that category. This is a perfectly acceptable grade in this category. Long-term care grades are vital for individuals needing non-healthcare services such as personal care. One of the statistics we considered in addition to nursing hours is vaccinations. Fortunately, this facility administered the pneumonia vaccination to 100 percent of its residents. Lastly, this place was also able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had only 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Summerfield Health Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Summerfield Health Care Center, 7.45% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This statistic measures the percentage of long-term residents that have new or worsened pressure ulcers . We factor in this statistic in computing both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Summerfield Health Care Center, 1.7% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric is an indication of the percent of long-term residents that suffered falls which resulted in severe injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but high rates of major falls may be an indication of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Summerfield Health Care Center, 1.24% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of residents who suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's are often the result of lower quality nursing care. Better nursing care limits the number likelihood of residents sustaining infections. Note that this statistic is sometimes skewed by the fact that facilities have different reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Summerfield Health Care Center, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of residents who were prescribed antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications may be vital to many patients, it is important to ensure these drugs are being used appropriately. In limited cases, excessive reliance on these medications may indicate a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Summerfield Health Care Center, 13.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of residents prescribed antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety drugs are given to patients suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Summerfield Health Care Center, 4.64% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients who are showing depressive symptoms. Higher levels of depression could be a sign worse patient care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Summerfield Health Care Center, 95.44% of Patients
This is the percent of patients who received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Summerfield Health Care Center, 7.92% Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term patients who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as taking medications and continence.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Summerfield Health Care Center, 12.45% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percentage of patients who retained mobility levels over time. Retaining mobility is usually a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Summerfield Health Care Center, 1.61 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Summerfield Health Care Center, 12.45 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term resident care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Summerfield Health Care Center, 9.83 Percentage of Patients
This metric tracks the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Summerfield Health Care Center, 79.79% Percentage of Resident
Measures the percent of short-term stay residents who experienced functional improvements.
Scores for Santa Rosa, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Santa Rosa, California has 6 other nursing homes
- Santa Rosa Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.97 miles away1165 Montgomery Dr Santa Rosa California 95405Voluntary non-profit - Private(707) 525-5300
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital-Santa RosaAcute Care Hospitals 3.68 miles away401 Bicentennial Way Santa Rosa California 95403Voluntary non-profit - Private(707) 571-4000
- Aurora Behavioral Healthcare-Santa Rosa, LLCPsychiatric 5.67 miles away1287 Fulton Road Santa Rosa California 95401Proprietary(707) 800-7700
- Sutter Santa Rosa Regional HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.89 miles away30 Mark West Springs Road Santa Rosa California 95403Voluntary non-profit - Other(707) 576-4000
- Sonoma Specialty HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.96 miles away501 Petaluma Avenue Sebastopol California 95472Government - Local(707) 823-8511
- Petaluma Valley HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.51 miles away400 N Mcdowell Blvd Petaluma California 94954Voluntary non-profit - Other(707) 778-1111
- Sonoma Valley HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.43 miles away347 Andrieux St Sonoma California 95476Government - Hospital District or Authority(707) 935-5000
- Healdsburg District HospitalCritical Access Hospitals 16.71 miles away1375 University Avenue Healdsburg California 95448Government - Hospital District or Authority(707) 431-6500
- Bma Santa Rosa2.2 miles away1020 Second Street Santa Rosa California 95404CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (707) 527-5350
- Satellite Dialysis Santa Rosa5.04 miles away2301 Circadian Way #C Santa Rosa California 95407CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 48 (707) 526-0717
- Davita Santa Rosa Springs Dialysis5.76 miles away18 East Fulton Road Santa Rosa California 95403Dialysis Stations: 36 (707) 544-5043
- Satellite Dialysis Rohnert Park7.07 miles away6265 Commerce Blvd Suite 156 Rohnert Park California 94928CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (707) 303-2040
- Fmc Santa Rosa North8.51 miles away487 Aviation Blvd. Suite 110 Santa Rosa California 95403Dialysis Stations: 13 (707) 568-1755
- Satellite Dialysis Windsor10.61 miles away8911 Lakewood Drive, Ste.16 Windsor California 95492CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (707) 836-1091
- Fmc Petaluma13.16 miles away715 South Point Blvd., Suite A Petaluma California 94954CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (707) 765-9379
- Davita Petaluma River Dialysis13.43 miles away417 N Mcdowell Blvd, Suite 30 Petaluma California 94954Dialysis Stations: 24 (707) 773-1293