Summerfield Health Care Center is a senior living facility in Santa Rosa, California, which has 209,844 people. It looks like this nursing home is among the better facilities we looked at. A score of this caliber requires very strong scores across the board. Indeed, this is actually one of the three best facilities in Santa Rosa. The best part of this nursing home's impressive profile was its short-term care rating. We discuss short-term care in the next section
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Summerfield Health Care Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Nov 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Santa Rosa senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Lymphedema Care
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
In addition to receiving a great overall score, this nursing home excelled at short-term care. In fact, we gave it an A for that category. Our short-term care ratings are probably most important for folks in need of rehabilitation from their nursing home. Rehabilitation typically requires more skilled nursing. Skilled nursing means not just nursing, but also physical and speech therapy, as well as other types of therapy. It does not look like this facility submitted information about its staffing of registered nurses or physical therapists. Lastly, we considered the percentage of patients that were able to return home from this nursing home. We found that 6.9 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
Adding to its impressive category scores, this facility also excelled in the category of inspections, where it earned an A. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in computing these inspection grades. One key factor is deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of the deficiencies is usually more important than the quantity of deficiencies, as some deficiencies can be quite insignificant. Unfortunately, we were not able to find deficiency data for this facility. Without complete deficiency related data for this facility, it ended up being difficult to really grade the place in this category.
Does this page answer your questions about Summerfield Health Care Center?
This facility is also strong in the area of nursing, where it received a grade of B+. It outperformed most nursing homes in this category. The nursing grade includes a variety of datapoints. The most heavily weighted variable is the amount of time nurses spent with patients. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This nursing home performed very well in terms of minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Long-term Care Quality
Moving on to our next area, this facility was given a respectable long-term care score. While this was not nearly as impressive as many of its other grades, this is still not a terrible score. Long-term care grades focus on a nursing home's personal care rather than the skilled nursing or medical services that are critical to a skilled nursing facility. On top of looking at the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. Fortunately, this nursing home administered the vaccine to 100 percent of its patients, which is an above average datapoint. Lastly, this facility was also able to limit hospitalizations. It had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Summerfield Health Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Summerfield Health Care Center, 1.59% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of patients that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage due to remaining in the same position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Summerfield Health Care Center, 2.22% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of patients who have had a major fall. Falls leading to severe injury are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a barometer of nursing care . Falls resulting in injury are often the result of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Summerfield Health Care Center, 0% of Patients had UTIs
This metric gauges the percentage of long-term residents who have suffered from UTI's. UTI's may be an indicator of worse hygiene protocols. Nevertheless, this datapoint may also be skewed for certain facilities due to inconsistent reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Summerfield Health Care Center, 22.89% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients who were given antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic medications are given to patients for many medical conditions, including Alzheimer's or other dementias. Sadly, in limited cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest that a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Summerfield Health Care Center, 21.84% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric indicates the percentage of long-term care residents taking antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Summerfield Health Care Center, 3.57% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients who are showing symptoms of depression. Many in the industry would argue that this is a reasonable measure of patient quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Summerfield Health Care Center, 98.98% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents who have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Summerfield Health Care Center, 8.54% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as moving around and taking a bath.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Summerfield Health Care Center, 22.21% of Residents
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents who maintained mobility.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Summerfield Health Care Center, 22.21% of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is generally a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Summerfield Health Care Center, 9.54% of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care. There is usually a correlation between staying out of the emergency room and the quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Summerfield Health Care Center, 76.81% of Resident
This metric is a measure of the percentage of short-term care patients that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Some experts argue this is a measure of a nursing home's rehabilitation services.
Scores for Santa Rosa, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Santa Rosa, California has 6 other nursing homes
- Santa Rosa Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.97 miles away1165 Montgomery Dr Santa Rosa California 95405Voluntary non-profit - Private(707) 525-5300
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital-Santa RosaAcute Care Hospitals 3.68 miles away401 Bicentennial Way Santa Rosa California 95403Voluntary non-profit - Private(707) 571-4000
- Aurora Behavioral Healthcare-Santa Rosa, LLCPsychiatric 5.67 miles away1287 Fulton Road Santa Rosa California 95401Proprietary(707) 800-7700
- Sutter Santa Rosa Regional HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.89 miles away30 Mark West Springs Road Santa Rosa California 95403Voluntary non-profit - Other(707) 576-4000
- Sonoma Specialty HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.96 miles away501 Petaluma Avenue Sebastopol California 95472Government - Local(707) 823-8511
- Petaluma Valley HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.51 miles away400 N Mcdowell Blvd Petaluma California 94954Voluntary non-profit - Other(707) 778-1111
- Sonoma Valley HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.43 miles away347 Andrieux St Sonoma California 95476Government - Hospital District or Authority(707) 935-5000
- Healdsburg District HospitalCritical Access Hospitals 16.71 miles away1375 University Avenue Healdsburg California 95448Government - Hospital District or Authority(707) 431-6500
- Bma Santa Rosa2.2 miles away1020 Second Street Santa Rosa California 95404CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (707) 527-5350
- Satellite Dialysis Santa Rosa5.04 miles away2301 Circadian Way #C Santa Rosa California 95407CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 48 (707) 526-0717
- Davita Santa Rosa Springs Dialysis5.76 miles away18 East Fulton Road Santa Rosa California 95403Dialysis Stations: 36 (707) 544-5043
- Satellite Dialysis Rohnert Park7.07 miles away6265 Commerce Blvd Suite 156 Rohnert Park California 94928CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (707) 303-2040
- Fmc Santa Rosa North8.51 miles away487 Aviation Blvd. Suite 110 Santa Rosa California 95403Dialysis Stations: 13 (707) 568-1755
- Satellite Dialysis Windsor10.61 miles away8911 Lakewood Drive, Ste.16 Windsor California 95492CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (707) 836-1091
- Fmc Petaluma13.16 miles away715 South Point Blvd., Suite A Petaluma California 94954CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (707) 765-9379
- Davita Petaluma River Dialysis13.43 miles away417 N Mcdowell Blvd, Suite 30 Petaluma California 94954Dialysis Stations: 24 (707) 773-1293