Summer Hill Nursing Home is an average-sized facility located in Old Bridge, New Jersey. This nursing home received an A- overall, which is among the most impressive grades that we offer. A score of this caliber requires first-rate marks across the board. In fact, we ranked this facility in the top quarter of all facilities in the nation. This nursing home's impressive profile was highlighted by its inspection grade, which you can find in the next paragraph.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Summer Hill Nursing Home
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
111 Route 516,
Old Bridge NJ 08857
78.75% estimated occupancy 1
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Best Nursing Home in Old Bridge, New Jersey Awards 2020
Best Nursing Home in Old Bridge, New Jersey Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
To pair with a favorable overall grade, we gave this facility an A+ for inspections. Inspection ratings weigh several factors found on a nursing home's inspection report. One key criteria we consider is the number and severity of deficiencies. Nursing homes with better scores in this category generally have very few of these severe deficiencies. While this facility had some minor dings on its report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are those found in categories G through L. This tells you that CMS did not consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
Contributing to its fine assessment, this nursing home also received a strong long-term care score, with a score of A. When facilities receive a score in this range in long-term care it typically means it's well-staffed and is an overall good place to live on a permanent basis. Once we finished looking at the volume of care provided by nurses, we turned to the nursing home's vaccination records. This nursing home vaccinated 100 percent of its patients for pneumonia, which is very impressive. Pneumonia can be a life threatening condition for nursing home residents so we strongly prefer when a facility doesn't leave this to chance. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0.03 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Summer Hill Nursing Home?
In addition, this facility also received favorable nursing grades this year. In fact, we awarded them one of our better scores in that area, with a grade of B+. Nursing grades are heavily correlated with levels of nurse staffing. This particular nursing home provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This nursing home performed very well when it comes to avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Short-term Care Quality
The next area we scored was this nursing home's poorest area. However, even in its weakest link we still gave it an acceptable grade of B- for our short-term care category. In determining our short-term care ratings, we scrutinize a nursing home's levels of skilled nursing, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists respiratory therapists and other highly skilled individuals. This grade is generally a fair assessment of the nursing home's ability to rehabilitate patients. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not all nursing homes employs these skilled professionals. However, according to the information they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Finally, we assessed the number of patients who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 5 percent of this facility's residents returned home. At most facilities, closer to half of their patients are able to return home so this figure is below average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Summer Hill Nursing Home Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Summer Hill Nursing Home, 8.94% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This statistic gauges the percentage of long-term stay residents who have pressure ulcers. Many experts believe that pressure ulcers are an measure of the quality of nursing care a nursing home provides.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Summer Hill Nursing Home, 2.79% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint is an indication of the percentage of long-term stay residents who suffered a fall which resulted in serious injury. We use this statistic in computing our nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Summer Hill Nursing Home, 1.44% of Patients had UTIs
This statistic measures the percent of long-term patients who had urinary tract infections. Although a higher rate infections may reflect poorly on a facility's nursing care, it can be problematic to compare between nursing homes due to nursing homes having inconsistent reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Summer Hill Nursing Home, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of residents given antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs may be helpful for many patients, it is important to confirm these medications are being used appropriately. In some situations, excessive reliance on these medications may suggest that a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Summer Hill Nursing Home, 17.29% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure tells you the percent of long-term care patients which were prescribed antianxiety drugs. These drugs are commonly prescribed to patients experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Summer Hill Nursing Home, 6.37% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents exhibiting signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Summer Hill Nursing Home, 89.73% of Patients
This is the percent of patients that were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Summer Hill Nursing Home, 10.05% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Summer Hill Nursing Home, 10.04% Percentage of Residents
This is the percentage of patients that remained mobile levels over time. Retaining mobility can be a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Summer Hill Nursing Home, 1.88 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Summer Hill Nursing Home, 10.04 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Summer Hill Nursing Home, 9.47 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is a correlation between staying out of the emergency room and the quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Summer Hill Nursing Home, 81.82% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percentage of short-term care patients that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
- Bayshore Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.23 miles away727 N Beers St Holmdel New Jersey 07733Voluntary non-profit - Private(732) 739-5900
- Saint Peter's University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.44 miles away254 Easton Ave New Brunswick New Jersey 08901Voluntary non-profit - Church(732) 745-8600
- Raritan Bay Medical Center Perth Amboy DivisionAcute Care Hospitals 8.48 miles away530 New Brunswick Ave Perth Amboy New Jersey 08861Voluntary non-profit - Private(732) 442-3700
- Jfk Medical Ctr - Anthony M. Yelencsics CommunityAcute Care Hospitals 10.34 miles away65 James Street Edison New Jersey 08818Voluntary non-profit - Private(732) 321-7000
- Centrastate Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.29 miles away901 West Main Street Freehold New Jersey 07728Voluntary non-profit - Private(732) 431-2000
- Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital at RahwayAcute Care Hospitals 14.53 miles away865 Stone St Rahway New Jersey 07065Voluntary non-profit - Private(732) 381-4200
- Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital SomersetAcute Care Hospitals 16.71 miles away110 Rehill Ave Somerville New Jersey 08876Voluntary non-profit - Private(908) 685-2200
- Staten Island University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 18.54 miles away475 Seaview Avenue Staten Island New York 10305Voluntary non-profit - Private(418) 226-9761
- Davita East Brunswick3.74 miles away629 Cranbury Rd East Brunswick New Jersey 08816CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (732) 238-1909
- Dva Old Bridge Dialysis Ctr3.91 miles awayDavita Kidney Care 262 Texas Rd Old Bridge New Jersey 08857CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 13 (732) 591-4931
- Matawan Dialysis5.49 miles away764 Highway 34 Suite A Matawan New Jersey 07747Dialysis Stations: 19 (732) 583-1085
- Fmc Madison Dialysis at Matawan5.93 miles away625 Highway 34 Matawan New Jersey 07747Dialysis Stations: 9 (732) 566-0471
- New Brunswick Dialysis7.41 miles away303 George Street Ste G-8 New Brunswick New Jersey 08901CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (732) 937-4791
- Davita Freehold Dialysis7.94 miles away300 Craig Road Century Office Park Englishtown New Jersey 07726CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (732) 303-1589
- Davita Holmdel Dialysis8.12 miles away668 North Beers Street Holmdel New Jersey 07733CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (732) 302-0321
- Dci North Brunswick Dialysis Ctr8.15 miles away105 North Center Dr North Brunswick New Jersey 08902CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 34 (732) 940-8368