Suffolk Center for Rehabilitation and Nursing is in Patchogue, New York, a city with 44,837 people. Sporting an overall rating of C, this is likely a decent nursing home. Based on our ratings, there are certainly much worse nursing homes out there. One of the best aspects of this nursing home's report card is its exemplary inspection rating, which you can find in the next paragraph.
Suffolk Center for Rehabilitation and Nursing
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
The primary reason this nursing home received a decent overall grade is its impeccable government inspections in recent years. We awarded them one of our higher grades in that area, with an A+. This is a notably better score than the place's overall score, which was decent but not in the elite range. Inspection grades weigh several factors, including deficiencies and substantiated complaints. You can find more information about each of these items by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. This place received 7 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none were considered to be severe deficiencies. This means that the inspectors did not consider any of these deficiencies to create an immediate risk to patient safety or health. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is always a good sign.
Long-term Care Quality
Additionally, we awarded this facility a grade of B+ in our long-term care category. This happens to be one of our more impressive scores. Nursing homes that receive this type of grade in this category tend to provide consistent 24/7 care to ensure residents are kept in good health. In addition to assessing the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility gave the vaccine to 51.497005 percent of its residents. This is a few points lower than we anticipated but still a decent percentage. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. It had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Suffolk Center for Rehabilitation and Nursing?
Another strength of this nursing home is its favorable grade in nursing. We awarded them one of our better scores in that area, with a score of D. The nursing grade weighs quite a few datapoints, but the main one is the number of nurse hours per patient per week. This facility offered just 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient daily. This is not a very impressive figure. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This facility fared well in the area of minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls.
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home's weakest area was short-term care, which is the final area we assessed. We gave it a lowly F for this area. Even with several respectable grades in other areas, this score is nevertheless of a concern so we felt obligated to make a note of it. In determining our short-term care ratings, we assess the facility's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses, speech therapists, physical therapists and other types of skilled professionals. Our goal is to devise a tool for comparing the rehabilitation services of various nursing homes. With its grade in this category, we weren't surprised to learn that this nursing home was well below average in terms of its number of registered nurse and physical therapy hours offered to its residents based on the measures we assessed. Honestly, this was what we expected to find. Lastly, we assessed the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this facility. This wasn't a strength for this facility. We found that just 4.3 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home. At most nursing homes, about half of their residents are able to return home so this is well below average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Suffolk Center for Rehabilitation and Nursing Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Suffolk Center for Rehabilitation and Nursing, 9.62% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of long-term care residents which suffer from new or worsened pressure ulcers . We bake this statistic into our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Suffolk Center for Rehabilitation and Nursing, 3.04% of Patients had Serious Falls
This measures the percent of long-term residents which experienced a fall which resulted in major injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but excessive numbers of falls could be an indication of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Suffolk Center for Rehabilitation and Nursing, 2.08% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of residents that sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's are routinely the result of facilities with lower levels of hygiene. Better nursing care reduces the number likelihood of residents sustaining infections. Note that this metric is affected by by the fact that nursing homes have varying reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Suffolk Center for Rehabilitation and Nursing, 11.61% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of patients given antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications may be vital to many residents, it is important to ensure these drugs are being used only where medically required. In some situations, increased usage of these drugs may indicate that a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Suffolk Center for Rehabilitation and Nursing, 13.28% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is an indication of the percent of long-term residents taking antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Suffolk Center for Rehabilitation and Nursing, 13.6% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents who are exhibiting symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Suffolk Center for Rehabilitation and Nursing, 91.89% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents who were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for seniors, making these vaccines critical to patient well-being.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Suffolk Center for Rehabilitation and Nursing, 14.66% Percentage of Patients
This is the percent of patients who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Suffolk Center for Rehabilitation and Nursing, 18.82% Percentage of Residents
This is the percent of patients that retained mobility levels over time. Retaining mobility is often a great sign for residents' health.
In Suffolk Center for Rehabilitation and Nursing, 1.2 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of care. There is generally a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and the overall quality of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Suffolk Center for Rehabilitation and Nursing, 18.82 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term resident care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Suffolk Center for Rehabilitation and Nursing, 8.77 Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care. Staying out of the emergency room is one way to gauge patient well-being during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Suffolk Center for Rehabilitation and Nursing, 74.71% Percentage of Resident
This metric measures the percent of short-term care patients who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Some believe this is a measure of a nursing home's rehabilitation services.
- Long Island Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.15 miles away101 Hospital Road Patchogue New York 11772Voluntary non-profit - Private(631) 654-7100
- John T Mather Memorial Hospital of Port JeffersonAcute Care Hospitals 12.12 miles away75 North Country Road Port Jefferson New York 11777Voluntary non-profit - Private(631) 473-1320
- St Charles HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.83 miles away200 Belle Terre Road Port Jefferson New York 11777Voluntary non-profit - Private(631) 474-6000
- Southside HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.14 miles away301 East Main Street Bay Shore New York 11706Voluntary non-profit - Private(631) 968-3000
- St Catherine of Siena HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.38 miles away50 Route 25a Smithtown New York 11787Voluntary non-profit - Private(631) 862-3000
- Pilgrim Psychiatric CenterPsychiatric 15.22 miles away998 Crooked Hill Road Brentwood New York 11717Government - State(631) 761-3500
- Good Samaritan Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 15.99 miles away1000 Montauk Highway West Islip New York 11795Voluntary non-profit - Church(631) 376-3000
- Long Island Community Hospital1.19 miles away109 West Main Street Dialysis Satellite Patchogue New York 11772CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (631) 687-2828
- Long Island Community Hospital1.2 miles away101 Hospital Road Patchogue New York 11772Dialysis Stations: 6 (631) 654-7160
- Davita Medford Kidney Center3.86 miles away1725 North Ocean Avenue Medford New York 11763CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 10 (631) 289-8000
- Coram Dialysis Center7.78 miles away1500 Middle Country Road Centereach New York 11720Dialysis Stations: 16 (631) 716-8758
- Knickerbocker Dialysis Inc.10.46 miles away200 Carleton Avenue East Islip New York 11730CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (631) 581-0897
- Stony Brook Kidney Center, Dci10.56 miles away26 Research Way East Setauket New York 11733CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (631) 444-0502
- Fms-Central Suffolk Akc11.07 miles away5225 Nesconset Highway Unit #72 - Bldg.9 Port Jefferson Station New York 11776CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (631) 331-5600
- Hauppauge Dialysis Center11.77 miles away30 Central Avenue Hauppauge New York 11788CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (631) 761-6605