Stonehedge Health Care Center is an average-sized facility located in West Roxbury, Massachusetts. This proved to be a middle of the pack facility, with an overall grade of C. You could definitely do worse than this nursing home. This facility did not excel in all of our categories, but it did not receive any terrible grades either. Additional information about these categories can be found below.
Stonehedge Health Care Center
- Nursing Home
- Assisted Living
Updated May 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Registered Staff Hours
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home's best category grade came in long-term care. In that category, we gave this nursing home a grade of B+. It actually outpaced most nursing homes in this category. For residents looking for a permanent residence as opposed to skilled nursing, long-term care grades are very important. On top of looking at the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we looked at the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home administered the vaccine to 58.3691 percent of its residents, which is somewhat less than we anticipated. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
This facility also excelled in the category of nursing, where it earned an B. Few nursing homes fared better in this category. Our nursing rating is mostly based on a facility's nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This nursing home performed very well in terms of avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Does this page answer your questions about Stonehedge Health Care Center?
This nursing home also received favorable inspections in recent years. We awarded them one of our better scores in that area, with a B. This grade is also better than the facility's overall score. Inspection scores are tied to items located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Nursing homes that excel in this category have very few deficiencies on their reports. Most importantly, these places should not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with risks to patient safety. It does not appear that we have deficiency data for this facility. Without having access to the deficiency data for this nursing home, it ended up being challenging to evaluate it in the inspections category.
Short-term Care Quality
The last area we analyzed was short-term care, which was a weak spot for this nursing home. We awarded this facility a grade of just D in our short-term care category. In computing our short-term care scores, we assess a facility's levels of highly skilled nursing, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists respiratory therapists and other licensed professionals. This rating is frequently a meaningful assessment of a facility's rehabilitation services. Not surprisingly, we found that this nursing home provides far less physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than the average facility. Lastly, we looked at the number of patients that were able to return home from this nursing home. This nursing home didn't fare well here either. In fact, we found that just 4.1 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home. This figure was quite a bit off the national average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Stonehedge Health Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Stonehedge Health Care Center, 6.44% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of patients that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a barometer of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, which are also referred to as bed sores, are often caused by residents not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Stonehedge Health Care Center, 3.68% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of residents who sustained a major fall. Falls resulting in severe injury are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care . Major falls resulting in injury are often the result of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Stonehedge Health Care Center, 2.42% of Patients had UTIs
This is a measure of the percent of long-term residents who had UTI's. UTI's could be an indicator of lower quality nursing care. Nevertheless, this datapoint could be skewed for certain nursing homes due to varying reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Stonehedge Health Care Center, 19.05% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic indicates the percent of long-term care residents receiving antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications serve an important medical purpose, it is important to make sure these medications are being used appropriately. In some cases, excessive reliance on these medications may indicate a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Stonehedge Health Care Center, 18.65% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients prescribed antianxiety medications. These medications are prescribed to patients suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Stonehedge Health Care Center, 1.93% of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents demonstrating depressive symptoms. Some argue this is a reasonable measure of patient quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Stonehedge Health Care Center, 91.44% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients that received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Stonehedge Health Care Center, 15.15% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of dependence on staff for assistance with activities of daily living may indicate the deterioration of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Stonehedge Health Care Center, 17.66% Percentage of Residents
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents who remained mobile levels.
In Stonehedge Health Care Center, 1.44 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
Measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care. Avoiding the hospital is critical to maintaining the physical well-being of residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Stonehedge Health Care Center, 17.66 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Stonehedge Health Care Center, 10.93 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Stonehedge Health Care Center, 71.35% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percentage of short-term patients who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
- Brigham and Women's Faulkner HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.54 miles away1153 Centre Street Jamaica Plain Massachusetts 02130Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 983-7000
- Brigham and Women's HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.07 miles away75 Francis Street Boston Massachusetts 02115Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 732-5500
- Boston Children's HospitalChildrens 4.25 miles away300 Longwood Avenue Boston Massachusetts 02115Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 735-6000
- Carney HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.31 miles away2100 Dorchester Avenue Dorchester Center Massachusetts 02124Proprietary(617) 506-2000
- St Elizabeth's Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.36 miles away736 Cambridge Street Brighton Massachusetts 02135Proprietary(617) 789-3000
- Beth Israel Deaconess Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.4 miles away330 Brookline Avenue Boston Massachusetts 02215Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 667-7000
- Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital - NeedhamAcute Care Hospitals 4.41 miles away148 Chestnut Street Needham Heights Massachusetts 02494Voluntary non-profit - Private(781) 453-3002
- Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital-Milton IncAcute Care Hospitals 4.52 miles away199 Reedsdale Road Milton Massachusetts 02186Government - Federal(617) 696-4600
- Dci Brigham/Faulkner2.41 miles awayDci Brigham/Faulkner 1153 Centre Street, Belkin House Jamaica Plain Massachusetts 02130CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (617) 983-4470
- Davita Brookline Dialysis3.59 miles away322 Washington Street Brookline Massachusetts 02445CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (617) 734-7794
- Mary Eliza Mahoney Dialysis Center (Bma of Massachusetts)4.04 miles away416 Warren Street Roxbury Massachusetts 02119CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (617) 445-9989
- Saint Elizabeth's Medical Center of Boston4.14 miles awayDialysis Unit - Ccp 7 736 Cambridge Street Brighton Massachusetts 02135Dialysis Stations: 17 (617) 789-2592
- Boston Dialysis Center (Bma Boston)4.32 miles away2100 Dorchester Avenue 1 South Dorchester Center Massachusetts 02124CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (617) 298-2475
- Brigham and Women's Hospital4.84 miles awayDialysis Unit 75 Francis Street Boston Massachusetts 02115Dialysis Stations: 7 (617) 732-6130
- Children's Hospital Boston4.84 miles awayDialysis Unit, Farley Four 300 Longwood Avenue Boston Massachusetts 02115Dialysis Stations: 7 (617) 355-7631
- Kidney Center4.85 miles away888 Commonwealth Avenue Boston Massachusetts 02215CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (617) 739-3000