Stonegates is located in Wilmington, Delaware, a city with a population of 215,619 people. This facility is ranked among the top nursing homes we assessed. Being awarded an A+ in our rating scheme requires first-rate marks across the board. We were so impressed with this nursing home that we ranked it as one of the top 500 nursing homes in the country. Scroll down to find this facility's category grades, which are equally impressive. You just can't do any better than a straight A report card.
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- No Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Meal Delivery
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to receiving a great overall grade, this nursing home received an A+ for nursing. We assessed the levels of nurses employed by the nursing home, in addition to the number of hours those nurses spent with patients, in determining our rating in this area. This nursing home averages 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality measures and this nursing home excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any place the nation in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can generally be avoided by providing better nursing care, such as having a policy of turning a resident more frequently.
This facility has also received near flawless health inspections in recent years. We awarded them an impressive grade of A+ in this category. Inspection scores take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies and substantiated complaints. You can learn more about each of these items by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. This nursing home was hit with 2 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to see that none of the deficiencies were considered to be severe. This means that the inspectors did not consider any of these deficiencies to create an immediate threat to resident health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Does this page answer your questions about Stonegates?
Long-term Care Quality
Turning the page to our third area, this first-rate nursing home also performed remarkably in the area of long-term care. In this area, it received a A+. Only a small group of nursing homes performed better in this area. Long-term care ratings in this range generally require both 24/7 care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine healthcare services. Once we assessed the volume of care provided by nurses and other staff, we then looked at the facility's vaccination data. This nursing home vaccinated 100 percent of its patients against pneumonia, which is significantly higher than the majority of nursing homes. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Short-term Care Quality
Moving on to the fourth area, this facility also performed well in our short-term care category. In fact, we awarded it a grade of A- for this area. This completed truly elite profile. In our short-term care grade, we try to craft a sound barometer for rehabilitation. In doing so, we analyze the nursing home's offerings of skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as occupational therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not every nursing home employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, based on the data this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The final datapoint we considered in this category is the number of patients who were able to leave the nursing home and return to the community. We discovered that 5.2 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Stonegates Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Stonegates, 5.95% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This gauges the percent of long-term patients that suffered from new or worsened pressure ulcers. Many experts believe that pressure ulcers are a solid indicator of the quality of nursing care a facility provides.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Stonegates, 3.42% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric measures the percent of long-term patients who have sustained a fall which resulted in severe injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but excessive numbers of falls may be an indication of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Stonegates, 1.82% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of residents that sustained a urinary tract infection. These infections may be associated with insufficient hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Stonegates, 11.48% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients prescribed antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic medications are administered to residents for a variety of medical conditions, including Alzheimer's or other dementias. Tragically, in some cases, increased usage of these drugs may indicate a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Stonegates, 19.9% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of patients prescribed antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety drugs are prescribed to patients experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Stonegates, 3.38% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients who are demonstrating signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Stonegates, 94.32% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients that were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Stonegates, 15.2% Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as taking medications and eating. Many in the industry believe this is a reliable measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Stonegates, 21.99% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term patients that maintained mobility. Many in the industry believe that the ability to move around is important for residents' physical and mental health.
In Stonegates, 1.37 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of care. There is a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and the quality of long-term care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Stonegates, 21.99 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care. Avoiding rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is key to restoring the physical abilities of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Stonegates, 10.41 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is typically a correlation between staying out of the emergency room and the quality of care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Stonegates, 76.04% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term residents that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Higher levels of autonomy with ADL's usually correlates with successful rehabilitation services.
Scores for Wilmington, DE
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of A
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Wilmington, Delaware has 15 other nursing homes
- Alfred I Dupont Hospital for ChildrenChildrens 2.37 miles away1600 Rockland Rd PO Box 269 Wilmington Delaware 19899Voluntary non-profit - Private(302) 651-4000
- Rockford CenterPsychiatric 6.85 miles away100 Rockford Drive Newark Delaware 19713Proprietary(302) 996-5480
- Christiana Care Health Services, Inc.Acute Care Hospitals 7.52 miles away4755 Ogletown-Stanton Road Newark Delaware 19718Voluntary non-profit - Private(302) 733-1000
- Riddle Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.01 miles away1068 West Baltimore Pike Media Pennsylvania 19063Voluntary non-profit - Private(610) 566-9400
- Chester County HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.28 miles away701 East Marshall Street West Chester Pennsylvania 19380Voluntary non-profit - Private(610) 431-5000
- Salem Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 15.28 miles away310 Woodstown Road Salem New Jersey 08079Voluntary non-profit - Private(856) 935-1000
- Jennersville HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.36 miles away1015 West Baltimore Pike West Grove Pennsylvania 19390Voluntary non-profit - Other(610) 869-1000
- Brandywine HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 18.62 miles away201 Reeceville Road Coatesville Pennsylvania 19320Proprietary(610) 383-8000
- Alfred I. Dupont Hospital for Children Dialysis Center2.37 miles away1600 Rockland Road Wilmington Delaware 19899Dialysis Stations: 6 (302) 651-5374
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Wilmington2.42 miles awaySt. Francis Medical Office Building, Suite 404 7th and Clayton Street Wilmington Delaware 19805Dialysis Stations: 17 (302) 421-9177
- Wilmington Veterans Administration Medical Center2.9 miles away1601 Kirkwood Highway Wilmington Delaware 19805Dialysis Stations: 5 (302) 994-2511
- Liberty Dialysis - Wilmington3.11 miles away913 Delaware Avenue Wilmington Delaware 19806CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (302) 429-0142
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Riverside Park3.78 miles awayRiverside Medical Arts Complex, Suite g2 700 W. Lea Boulevard Wilmington Delaware 19802Dialysis Stations: 24 (302) 762-8585
- Fresenius Kidney Care - North Wilmington4.15 miles away4000 Washington Street Wilmington Delaware 19802Dialysis Stations: 17 (302) 762-2903
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Brandywine4.15 miles away303 a Street Wilmington Delaware 19801Dialysis Stations: 25 (302) 658-7469
- Bio-Medical Applications of Delaware Inc4.68 miles away1417 Foulk Road Wilmington Delaware 19803Dialysis Stations: 12 (302) 479-7130