Stone Oak Care Center is in the densely populated metropolitan area of San Antonio, Texas which has a total of 1,585,405 people. Sporting an overall score of B, this facility is a great choice. Based on our assessment, this facility is a good fit for most people. The best part of this nursing home's strong report card was its inspection grade. Inspection reports are discussed in the next section
Stone Oak Care Center
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Government - Hospital district
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Dialysis Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Registered Staff Hours
This facility received a quality overall grade as described above, but we especially want to emphasize its nearly flawless government inspections in recent years. We awarded it an impressive grade of A- in this category. Inspection grades are tied to items located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Nursing homes that receive favorable grades in this category typically have few deficiencies on their reports. Most importantly, these nursing homes should not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with risks to patient safety. Fortunately, although this place had a few minor dings on its government inspection report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are those labeled as categories G through L. This tells you CMS did not consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. The fact that none of the deficiencies were severe made us feel better about this inspection report.
Adding to its strong performance in other areas, we awarded this nursing home an B+ for nursing. Our nursing score is largely tied to a facility's level of nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality-based metrics and this place excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any place the country in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can typically be prevented by offering better nursing care, such as by employing a protocol of turning residents more often.
Does this page answer your questions about Stone Oak Care Center?
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home also received a favorable short-term care grade. Indeed, we gave it an above average grade of B in this category. In the category of short-term care, we strive to evaluate measures of a facility's rehabilitation. We analyze a nursing home's skilled nursing services, such as the ones performed by registered nurses and various therapists. Unfortunately, it does not look like this nursing home submitted information on registered nurse or physical therapist staffing. The last statistic we considered in this category is the percentage of residents who were able to leave the nursing home and return to the community. We found that 4.9 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
Long-term Care Quality
Our next category is long-term care, where we gave this facility a B- in this area. For long-term care residents, the primary goal is to keep patients as healthy and safe as possible. This is different than skilled nursing or short-term care where the goal is to rehabilitate residents. Once we assessed the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we next considered the nursing home's vaccination statistics. This nursing home vaccinated 98.84393 percent of its patients for pneumonia, which is better than the vast majority of nursing homes. Finally, this place was also able to limit hospitalizations. It had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Stone Oak Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Stone Oak Care Center, 7.94% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of patients who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, which are also called bed sores, are routinely caused by patients not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Stone Oak Care Center, 3.28% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of long-term stay residents that experienced a fall leading to major injury. We use this statistic in computing our nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Stone Oak Care Center, 1.64% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term stay patients who have sustained urinary tract infections. While a higher rate of these infections may reflect poorly on a nursing home's hygiene protocols, it can be problematic to compare different nursing homes due to facilities having varying reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Stone Oak Care Center, 11.75% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic indicates the percentage of long-term care residents taking antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications serve an important medical purpose, it is important to confirm these drugs are being used appropriately. In some cases, increased usage of these drugs may indicate that a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Stone Oak Care Center, 22.77% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is an indication of the percent of long-term care residents taking antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Stone Oak Care Center, 4.66% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients who are exhibiting symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Stone Oak Care Center, 94.73% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents who were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Stone Oak Care Center, 17.29% Percentage of Patients
This is the percent of residents that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of dependence on staff for assistance with activities of daily living could be a sign of the erosion of a patient's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Stone Oak Care Center, 18.08% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term stay patients who remained mobile levels. Many in the industry would argue that the ability to move around is important for patients well-being.
In Stone Oak Care Center, 1.58 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care. Avoiding hospitalizations is important to preserving the physical health of nursing home patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Stone Oak Care Center, 18.08 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Stone Oak Care Center, 11.87 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Stone Oak Care Center, 66.73% Percentage of Resident
This is a measure of the percent of short-term residents who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Many in the industry argue this is a reasonable measure of a nursing home's rehabilitation services.
Scores for San Antonio, TX
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? San Antonio, Texas has 62 other nursing homes
- South Texas Spine and Surgical HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.9 miles away18600 North Hardy Oak Blvd San Antonio Texas 78258Government - Hospital District or Authority(210) 404-0800
- Methodist Stone Oak HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.01 miles away1139 E Sonterra Blvd, Ste 535 San Antonio Texas 78258Proprietary(210) 638-2100
- Baptist Emergency HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.48 miles away16088 San Pedro San Antonio Texas 78232Proprietary(210) 402-4092
- Legent Orthopedic + SpineAcute Care Hospitals 6.4 miles away5330 North Loop 1604 West San Antonio Texas 78249Proprietary(717) 620-2424
- Foundation Surgical Hospital of San AntonioAcute Care Hospitals 8.76 miles away9522 Huebner Road San Antonio Texas 78240Proprietary(210) 478-5400
- Methodist Ambulatory Surgery Hospital NwAcute Care Hospitals 9.07 miles away9150 Huebner Rd Suite 100 San Antonio Texas 78240Proprietary(210) 575-5000
- University Health SystemAcute Care Hospitals 9.29 miles away4502 Medical Dr San Antonio Texas 78229Government - Hospital District or Authority(210) 358-2637
- Methodist HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.31 miles away7700 Floyd Curl Dr San Antonio Texas 78229Proprietary(210) 575-4000
- Stone Oak Dialysis0.54 miles away731 Carnoustie Drive #101 San Antonio Texas 78258CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (210) 403-2162
- North Central Kidney Disease Center0.6 miles away116 Gallery Circle #102 San Antonio Texas 78258Dialysis Stations: 16 (210) 499-4003
- Fmc San Antonio, LLC6.49 miles away5418 N Loop 1604 W Ste 120 San Antonio Texas 78249Dialysis Stations: 13 (210) 561-7879
- Broadway Kidney Disease Center7.17 miles away8840 Tradeway San Antonio Texas 78217CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (210) 805-9880
- Sakdc Davita Dialysis Partners Lp7.79 miles away15619 Nacogdoches Rd San Antonio Texas 78247Dialysis Stations: 24 (210) 653-9579
- Kidney Treatment Center Northwest Pa8.15 miles away3939 Medical Drive Suite 110 San Antonio Texas 78229Dialysis Stations: 24 (210) 692-3075
- Lockehill Kidney Disease Clinic8.17 miles away10134 Huebner Road San Antonio Texas 78240Dialysis Stations: 15 (210) 641-6000
- Marymount Dialysis Center8.28 miles away2391 Ne Loop 410 Suite #211 San Antonio Texas 78217CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (210) 646-8788