Stoddard Baptist Nursing Home is a large non-profit facility in Washington, District of Columbia. With an overall score of A, this nursing home is one of the better nursing homes in Washington, which has plenty of very solid nursing homes. Based on our analysis, this facility is simply as good as it gets. This place also received very consistent grades in all four of our categories. More information about these categories is available below.
Stoddard Baptist Nursing Home
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
On top of faring well overall, this facility earned an excellent short-term care score. In fact, we gave it a grade of A in that area. Our short-term care grades are based on the facility's quantity of highly-skilled nursing services. This includes a vast spectrum of nursing services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, as well as other variations of therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not every facility employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, according to the information this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Lastly, we looked at the number of residents who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 7.8 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home.
Adding to this facility's impressive resume, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A for inspections. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in calculating these inspection grades. One key factor is health deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of deficiencies is usually more meaningful than the number of deficiencies, as some of these end up being relatively insignificant. While this place had a few deficiencies on its inspection report, none were serious based on CMS' deficiency scale. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Does this page answer your questions about Stoddard Baptist Nursing Home?
This nursing home also received a very impressive nursing grade. In that area, we awarded this facility a grade of A-. When computing a facility's nursing rating, we assess the amount of time nurses spend with residents and the level of licensure of the nurses. This particular nursing home provided 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This facility performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a facility has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can many times be prevented if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Long-term Care Quality
In the last area, this facility also was given an impressive long-term care rating, with a B+. This rounded out a very impressive profile. Nursing homes that do well in this category typically are well-staffed and provide extensive hands on care to residents. In addition to looking at the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we analyzed the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility gave the vaccine to 94.50549 percent of its residents, which is what we like to see. Pneumonia is too frequently a dangerous health condition for nursing home patients so we prefer when a facility does not roll the dice on this issue. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had only 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Stoddard Baptist Nursing Home Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Stoddard Baptist Nursing Home, 11.05% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of patients that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin due to staying in the same position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Stoddard Baptist Nursing Home, 1.03% of Patients had Serious Falls
This statistic is an indication of the percent of long-term stay residents who have suffered falls leading to serious injury. We use this statistic in calculating our nursing ratings.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Stoddard Baptist Nursing Home, 1.77% of Patients had UTIs
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents who experienced a UTI. While more infections could reflect poorly on a facility's hygiene protocols, it is problematic to compare between nursing homes due to facilities having inconsistent reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Stoddard Baptist Nursing Home, 8.22% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents prescribed antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications may be helpful for many patients, it is important to make sure these drugs are being used appropriately. In limited situations, increased usage of these drugs may mean a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Stoddard Baptist Nursing Home, 12.3% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of patients who were given antianxiety medications. These medications are typically prescribed to patients suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Stoddard Baptist Nursing Home, 0.83% of Patients
This is the percent of patients showing signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Stoddard Baptist Nursing Home, 89.84% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents who have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Stoddard Baptist Nursing Home, 17.05% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Stoddard Baptist Nursing Home, 26.24% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percent of patients who maintained mobility over time. Preserving mobility can be a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Stoddard Baptist Nursing Home, 0.85 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Stoddard Baptist Nursing Home, 26.24 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care. Avoiding rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the physical abilities of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Stoddard Baptist Nursing Home, 5.77 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is usually a correlation between having fewer emergency room visits and the quality of rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Stoddard Baptist Nursing Home, 67.35% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint measures the percent of short-term stay patients who saw functional improvements.
Scores for Washington, DC
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Washington, District of Columbia has 16 other nursing homes
- Howard University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.62 miles away2041 Georgia Ave Nw Washington District of Columbia 20060Voluntary non-profit - Other(202) 745-6100
- Children's Hospital NmcChildrens 1.63 miles away111 Michigan Ave, Nw Washington District of Columbia 20010Voluntary non-profit - Private(202) 476-5000
- Medstar Washington Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.66 miles away110 Irving St Nw Washington District of Columbia 20010Voluntary non-profit - Other(202) 877-7000
- Medstar Georgetown University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.28 miles away3800 Reservoir Rd Washington District of Columbia 20007Voluntary non-profit - Private(202) 784-3000
- George Washington Univ HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.34 miles away900 23rd St Nw Washington District of Columbia 20037Proprietary(202) 716-4605
- Sibley Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.58 miles away5255 Loughboro Rd Nw Washington District of Columbia 20016Voluntary non-profit - Other(202) 537-4680
- Walter Reed National Military Med CenAcute Care - Department of Defense 5.33 miles away8901 Rockville Pike Bethesda Maryland 20889Department of Defense(301) 295-4000
- Suburban HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.59 miles away8600 Old Georgetown Road Bethesda Maryland 20814Voluntary non-profit - Private(301) 896-2576
- Childrens National Medical Center0.65 miles awayChildrens Hosp Dialysis Unit Rm 3130 111 Michigan Ave Nw Washington District of Columbia 20010Dialysis Stations: 6 (202) 476-5148
- Howard University Dialysis Center, LLC1.52 miles away2041 Georgia Ave Nw Tower Building Suite 1119b Washington District of Columbia 20060CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (202) 865-7365
- Bma - Columbia Heights1.57 miles away106 Irving St Nw Ste 1400 Washington District of Columbia 20010CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 35 (202) 829-0060
- Bma - Dupont Circle1.67 miles away11 Dupont Cir Nw Ste ll100 Washington District of Columbia 20036Dialysis Stations: 30 (202) 483-0176
- Davita Georgetown Home Training1.84 miles away2233 Wisconsin Ave Suite 214 Washington District of Columbia 20007Dialysis Stations: 12 (202) 337-1431
- Davita - K Street Dialysis2.21 miles away2131 K Street Nw Ste 300 Washington District of Columbia 20037CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (202) 223-8453
- Capitol Dialysis2.54 miles away140 Q Street Ne Washington District of Columbia 20002CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (202) 636-9411
- Bma - Northeast Washington2.65 miles away817 Varnum St Ne Washington District of Columbia 20017CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (202) 832-4481