Sterling Oaks Rehabilitation is one of five available nursing homes located in Katy, Texas. This nursing home was given an uninspiring overall grade of D, which is a lower end rating. This place seems to have very little going for it. If you aren't deterred by this facility's profile, feel free to continue reading to learn more about its category scores. Nursing grades are discussed in the next section.
Sterling Oaks Rehabilitation
Updated May 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
25150 Lakecrest Manor Dr,
Katy TX 77493
78.88% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
Although we were down on this facility overall, we awarded it a B in nursing. This grade is much more impressive than its overall grade. In computing a facility's nursing score, we assess the amount of time nurses are seeing residents as well as the level of licensure of those nurses. This nursing home provides 3.6 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at some quality-based measures in this category. This facility fared well in some of the quality-based metrics we looked at. By way of illustration, in terms of the percentage of its residents suffering from pressure ulcers, this nursing home performed better than the national average. This is generally an indicator that a facility has reliable quality controls in place. Pressure ulcers can generally be prevented with better nursing care.
Short-term Care Quality
Another one of this facility's better category grades was in the category of short-term care. In that area, we gave this nursing home a B. It actually outpaced most facilities in this category. Our short-term care scores are presumably more critical for folks requiring rehabilitation from their nursing home. Rehabilitation typically utilizes additional highly-skilled nursing. This includes not merely nursing, but also physical and occupational therapy, as well as other variations of therapy. This nursing home employs both physical therapists and registered nurses. Not all facilities employ these skilled professionals. Finally, we considered the percentage of patients who returned home from this nursing home. We found that it performed better than most facilities with 54.8 percent of its residents returning home.
Does this page answer your questions about Sterling Oaks Rehabilitation?
This facility earned mediocre inspections in recent years. We awarded them a grade of C in this category. Inspection scores are tied to datapoints located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Deficiencies are a key item to look for on these inspections. Severe deficiencies indicate a threat to patient safety. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Unfortunately, we also need to draw your attention to the fact that this facility received significant government fines in recent years.
Long-term Care Quality
The final area we scored is long-term care. Unfortunately, we gave it an abysmal F in this area, which is a bottom of the barrel grade. For prospective patients seeking a permanent place to live rather than skilled nursing, long-term care grades are an important measure. After considering the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we then analyzed the nursing home's vaccination data. We were optimistic to learn that this nursing home vaccinated 98.52941 percent of its residents for pneumonia. Surprisingly, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. With only 0.7 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, this facility has fewer hospitalizations than most nursing homes. Sadly, some of its other scores in this category were not as favorable as these.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Sterling Oaks Rehabilitation Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Sterling Oaks Rehabilitation, 7.96% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of residents that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also called bed sores, are routinely the result of residents not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing protocols limits the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Sterling Oaks Rehabilitation, 3.3% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of residents who have had a major fall. Falls leading to major injuries are considered by many experts to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Major falls leading to injury are routinely the result of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Sterling Oaks Rehabilitation, 1.63% of Patients had UTIs
This figure is an indication of the percentage of long-term patients who have suffered from urinary tract infections. While a higher rate infections could reflect poorly on a facility's hygiene protocols, it can be difficult to compare different nursing homes due to nursing homes having reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Sterling Oaks Rehabilitation, 11.7% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients that are administered antipsychotic medication. Excessive reliance on these medications may suggest a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents in scenarios where such drugs aren't medically indicated. Nevertheless, some nursing homes need to rely on these medications due to an increased number of residents suffering from cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Sterling Oaks Rehabilitation, 22.57% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic gauges the percent of long-term stay residents receiving antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Sterling Oaks Rehabilitation, 4.7% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term patients who are exhibiting symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Sterling Oaks Rehabilitation, 95.06% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents that were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Sterling Oaks Rehabilitation, 17.37% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term residents who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as moving around and using the bathroom.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Sterling Oaks Rehabilitation, 17.98% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients that retained mobility levels. Many in the industry argue that mobility is important for patients mental and physical health.
In Sterling Oaks Rehabilitation, 1.58 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care. Avoiding hospitalizations is important to maintaining the physical health of residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Sterling Oaks Rehabilitation, 17.98 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Sterling Oaks Rehabilitation, 11.91 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care. Avoiding emergency medical situations is one way to gauge patient care during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Sterling Oaks Rehabilitation, 66.67% Percentage of Resident
This is a measure of the percentage of short-term stay patients who experienced functional improvements.
Scores for Katy, TX
- Overall Rating has a grade of D
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of D
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Katy, Texas has 4 other nursing homes
- Memorial Hermann Katy HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.33 miles away23900 Katy Freeway Katy Texas 77494Voluntary non-profit - Private(281) 392-1111
- Houston Methodist West HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.31 miles away18500 Katy Freeway Houston Texas 77094Voluntary non-profit - Private(832) 522-1000
- Westpark Springs LLCPsychiatric 7.63 miles away6902 S Peek Road Richmond Texas 77407Voluntary non-profit - Other(832) 535-2770
- Hca Houston Healthcare WestAcute Care Hospitals 13.3 miles away12141 Richmond Ave Houston Texas 77082Proprietary(281) 588-8080
- Oakbend Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 15.34 miles away1705 Jackson St Richmond Texas 77469Government - Hospital District or Authority(281) 341-3000
- Memorial Hermann Memorial City Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 15.52 miles away921 Gessner Houston Texas 77024Voluntary non-profit - Private(713) 242-3000
- St Luke's Sugar Land HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 17.16 miles away1317 Lake Pointe Parkway Sugar Land Texas 77478Voluntary non-profit - Private(281) 637-7000
- Sugar Land Surgical Hospital LlpAcute Care Hospitals 17.4 miles away16906 Southwest Freeway Sugar Land Texas 77479Physician(281) 243-1000
- Pin Oak Dialysis1.79 miles away24968 Katy Ranch Rd Unit 500 Katy Texas 77494Dialysis Stations: 20 (281) 574-4387
- Katy Dialysis Center2.16 miles away403 W. Grand Parkway South Suite T Katy Texas 77494CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (281) 392-6063
- Dunes Dialysis, LLC3.14 miles away2922 N Mason Rd. Suite 100 Katy Texas 77449Dialysis Stations: 20 (281) 579-9057
- Fresenius Medical Care Katy3.42 miles away21755 Provincial Blvd Katy Texas 77450Dialysis Stations: 25 (281) 492-3401
- Katy Cinco Ranch Dialysis3.76 miles away1265 Rock Canyon Road Katy Texas 77450Dialysis Stations: 12 (281) 392-1616
- Horizon Dialysis5.83 miles away2222 Greenhouse Rd Houston Texas 77084Dialysis Stations: 16 (281) 829-5941
- Bear Creek Dialysis9.86 miles away4978 North Highway 6, Suite I Houston Texas 77084CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (281) 859-5020
- Davita Barker Cypress Dialysis10.02 miles away18003 Longenbaugh Dr Cypress Texas 77433Dialysis Stations: 24 (281) 856-6198