Sterling Manor is a nursing home located in Maple Shade, New Jersey, a city with a population of 19,172 people. This nursing home was given an overall grade of F. If you are not happy with this facility's poor overall grade, you may find your options to be limited in Maple Shade. The city has just one other nursing home. We would not blame you if you are ready to stop reading and find another nursing home. However, if you want to learn more about this nursing home's category grades, we will discuss inspections in the next section.
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Registered Staff Hours
While this nursing home's overall grade was as bad as it gets, it actually didn't perform terribly in the area of inspections. In fact, we awarded it a B- for that category, which is one of our better scores. Inspection scores are based on items located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Deficiencies are a key item to look for on these inspections. Severe deficiencies indicate a risk to the well being of residents. While this facility had some deficiencies on its inspection report, none were serious based on CMS' deficiency scale. A few minor deficiencies are not the end of the world.
Short-term Care Quality
This facility also didn't rate poorly in the category of short-term care. In fact, we awarded it a grade of C for that area, which turned out to be another one of its higher scores. Short-term care ratings are based on the facility's quantity of highly-skilled skilled healthcare professionals. This includes a vast spectrum of nursing services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, not to mention other types of therapy. Unfortunately, this place was below average in terms of its level of physical therapy and registered nurse hours provided to its residents based on the metrics we assessed. Finally, we assessed the number of patients who returned home from this nursing home. We found that 0 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home. This figure was well below the national average.
Does this page answer your questions about Sterling Manor?
Long-term Care Quality
Turning to the category of long-term care, this facility was awarded just a D in this category. For prospective residents in need of a permanent residence rather than skilled nursing, long-term care is an important category. One of the datapoints we considered in addition to nurse's aid hours is vaccines. Fortunately, this nursing home administered the pneumonia vaccination to 100 percent of its residents. Surprisingly, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. With only 0.03 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, this nursing home had less hospitalizations than the average nursing home. Sadly, a few of its other scores in this category were not as favorable as these.
The final area we assessed was nursing, in which this nursing home was given an abysmal grade here as well. It received a lowly F for this area, which is obviously a major concern. In determining a nursing home's nursing grade, we consider the number of hours nurses are with patients and the level of skill of the nurses. With only 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient on a daily basis, this place's nurse staffing levels were quite a bit below average. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This place performed well in the area of avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Sterling Manor Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Sterling Manor, 9.28% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This datapoint is is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents who are suffering from new or worsened pressure ulcers. We have found that pressure ulcers are a great measure of a facility's nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Sterling Manor, 2.53% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of patients that suffered from a fall resulting in serious injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Sterling Manor, 1.65% of Patients had UTIs
This figure gauges the percentage of long-term patients which experienced UTI's. UTI's may be a sign of a nursing home with worse hygiene protocols. Nevertheless, this statistic can be skewed for some nursing homes due to varying reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Sterling Manor, 10.6% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents given antipsychotic drugs. These medications are used for several medical conditions, including cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Sterling Manor, 17.42% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is an indication of the percent of long-term patients who were administered antianxiety medication. These medications are typically used to treat patients experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Sterling Manor, 5.95% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents who are demonstrating symptoms of depression. Higher levels of depression could be an indicator a less hospitable environment.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Sterling Manor, 91.97% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Sterling Manor, 10.68% Percentage of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term residents that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as taking medications and eating. Some experts would argue that this is a reliable measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Sterling Manor, 12.9% Percentage of Residents
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents that remained mobile levels.
In Sterling Manor, 1.68 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care. Avoiding the hospital is important to preserving the physical well-being of nursing home residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Sterling Manor, 12.9 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is generally a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and a nursing home's quality of short-term rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Sterling Manor, 8.37 Percentage of Patients
This metric tracks the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Sterling Manor, 80.92% Percentage of Resident
This is a measure of the percent of short-term patients who saw functional improvements.
- Virtua Our Lady of Lourdes HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.34 miles away1600 Haddon Avenue Camden New Jersey 08103Voluntary non-profit - Private(856) 580-6330
- Cooper University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.84 miles away1 Cooper Plaza Camden New Jersey 08103Voluntary non-profit - Private(856) 342-2000
- Nazareth HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.41 miles away2601 Holme Ave Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19152Voluntary non-profit - Private(215) 335-6000
- St Christopher's Hospital for ChildrenChildrens 6.48 miles away160 East Erie Ave Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19134Proprietary(215) 427-5000
- Aria HealthAcute Care Hospitals 7.29 miles away10800 Knights Road Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19114Voluntary non-profit - Private(215) 612-4129
- Temple University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.72 miles away3401 North Broad Street Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19140Voluntary non-profit - Private(215) 707-2000
- Pennsylvania HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.76 miles away800 Spruce Street Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19107Voluntary non-profit - Private(215) 829-3000
- Weisman Childrens Rehabilitation HospitalChildrens 7.79 miles away92 Brick Road, 3rd Floor Marlton New Jersey 08053Proprietary(856) 489-4520
- Davita Merchantville Dialysis2.7 miles away5000 N Crescent Blvd Suite 1a Merchantville New Jersey 08109Dialysis Stations: 19 (856) 910-8798
- Davita Cherry Hill Dialysis3.25 miles away1030 N Kings Hwy Suite 100 Cherry Hill New Jersey 08034CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (856) 321-0111
- Davita Lourdes Dialysis at Innova Inc3.33 miles away3716 Church Road Mount Laurel New Jersey 08054Dialysis Stations: 24 (856) 222-0386
- Davita Lourdes Mt Laurel Dialysis3.83 miles away130 Gaither Drive Ste. 172 Mount Laurel New Jersey 08054Dialysis Stations: 20 (856) 222-4195
- Davita Pennsauken Dialysis Center4.24 miles away7024 Kaighns Ave Merchantville New Jersey 08109CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (856) 486-1145
- Fmc Silver Dialysis4.73 miles awayDialysis Unit 1417 Brace Rd Suite B Cherry Hill New Jersey 08034Dialysis Stations: 35 (856) 216-8463
- Memphis Street Renal Center5.03 miles away3310-24 Memphis Street Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19134Dialysis Stations: 18 (215) 739-9558
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Port Richmond5.12 miles away2301 E. Allegheny Avenue Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19134Dialysis Stations: 12 (215) 739-5239