Steere House Nursing and Rehabilitation Center is located in Providence, Rhode Island. The city provides several nursing home options. We awarded this nursing home an overall score of A, which is a first-rate grade. In fact, this is actually ranked among the five highest graded facilities in Providence. Based on our ratings, this nursing home is really as good as it gets. This nursing home was also given phenomenal grades in each of the major categories we assessed. More information about these categories can be found below.
Steere House Nursing and Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
100 Borden Street,
Providence RI 02903
77.16% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Top Nursing Home in Rhode Island Awards 2019
Top Nursing Home in Rhode Island Awards 2020
Top Nursing Home in Rhode Island Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
One of the many reasons this turned out to be a great nursing home is that it received an A+ short-term care grade. This is simply as good as it gets in this category. In the category of short-term care, we strive to assess measures of a nursing home's rehabilitation services. We look at the facility's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses and physical therapists. Fortunately, it looks like this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not all nursing homes employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, according to the information this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The last metric we assessed in this area is the percentage of residents that eventually returned home from the facility. We found that 7 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home as opposed to remaining at the nursing home on a permanent basis.
Adding to its impressive category scores, this nursing home also excelled in the category of inspections, where it received an A. Our inspection scores are tied to several datapoints located in the a nursing home's government inspections. Facilities that score well in this area typically have very few deficiencies on their reports. Most importantly, these facilities should not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. Fortunately, although this nursing home had a few minor dings on its government inspection report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are those labeled as categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This means that the government inspectors didn't deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Does this page answer your questions about Steere House Nursing and Rehabilitation Center?
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home also was elite in the category of long-term care, where we gave it a grade of A. Few nursing homes fared better in this category. Nursing homes that receive this kind of grade in long-term care typically provide consistent around the clock care to ensure residents are kept in good health. Once we finished looking at the quantity of care provided by nurses, we then analyzed the nursing home's vaccination data. This nursing home vaccinated 97.0684 percent of its residents for pneumonia, which is what we like to see. Pneumonia can be a life or death illness for nursing home residents so we prefer when a facility does not leave this to chance. Lastly, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. It had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
The final category we graded was nursing, where this facility was given an A-. This completed a very strong report card. Few facilities earned an A- or better in every single category. We assessed the skill-level of nurses working for the nursing home, as well as the quantity of hours the nurses worked with residents, in determining our rating in this area. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality measures and this nursing home excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any place Rhode Island in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can generally be avoided by offering better nursing care, such as having a protocol of moving a patient more frequently.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Steere House Nursing and Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Steere House Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 7.49% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This figure tells you the percentage of long-term stay patients that suffer from pressure ulcers or bed sores. We bake this statistic into our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Steere House Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 3.74% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of residents that have had a fall resulting in major injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Steere House Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 2.83% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of long-term patients that have suffered from urinary tract infections. UTI's could be an indication of worse hygiene protocols. Nevertheless, this statistic can be misleading for some facilities due to inconsistent reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Steere House Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 17.89% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of patients prescribed antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic medications are given to patients for many conditions, including Alzheimer's or other dementias. Unfortunately, in limited cases, excessive reliance on these medications may mean a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Steere House Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 15.01% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients who were prescribed antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety medications are prescribed to residents suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Steere House Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 2.58% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term stay residents who are showing signs of depression. Some believe this is a reasonable measure of quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Steere House Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 94.38% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents who were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Steere House Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 16.46% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as dressing and bathing.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Steere House Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 20.63% Percentage of Residents
This is the percentage of patients who were able to retain mobility over time. Optimizing mobility is often a good sign for residents' health.
In Steere House Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 1.22 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care. Avoiding the hospital is critical to maintaining the physical well-being of patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Steere House Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 20.63 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Steere House Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 12.45 Percentage of Patients
Measures the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Steere House Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 77.52% Percentage of Resident
This is a measure of the percentage of short-term stay patients that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Some argue this is a reasonable measure of rehabilitation services.
Scores for Providence, RI
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Providence, Rhode Island has 10 other nursing homes
- Women & Infants Hospital of Rhode IslandAcute Care Hospitals 0.22 miles away101 Dudley Street Providence Rhode Island 02905Voluntary non-profit - Private(401) 274-1100
- Rhode Island HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.25 miles away593 Eddy Street Providence Rhode Island 02903Voluntary non-profit - Private(401) 444-4000
- Roger Williams Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.84 miles away825 Chalkstone Avenue Providence Rhode Island 02908Proprietary(401) 456-2025
- Emma Pendleton Bradley HospitalPsychiatric 2.72 miles away1011 Veterans Memorial Parkway Riverside Rhode Island 02915Voluntary non-profit - Private(401) 432-1000
- The Miriam HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.79 miles away164 Summit Avenue Providence Rhode Island 02906Voluntary non-profit - Private(401) 793-2500
- Our Lady of Fatima HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.77 miles away200 High Service Avenue Providence Rhode Island 02904Proprietary(401) 456-3000
- Kent County Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.4 miles away455 Toll Gate Rd Warwick Rhode Island 02886Proprietary(401) 737-7010
- Sturdy Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.51 miles away211 Park Street Attleboro Massachusetts 02703Voluntary non-profit - Other(508) 222-5200
- Dialysis Center of Providence0.63 miles away9 Plenty Street Providence Rhode Island 02907Dialysis Stations: 21 (401) 273-4898
- Nna of Providence2.07 miles away125 Corliss Street Providence Rhode Island 02904CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (401) 521-9300
- The Dialysis Center of Rhode Island Hospital2.22 miles away22 Baker Street Providence Rhode Island 02905Dialysis Stations: 18 (401) 444-4440
- Dialysis Center of Rhode Island Hospital2.63 miles away950 Warren Avenue Suite 101 East Providence Rhode Island 02914Dialysis Stations: 12 (401) 606-1002
- Dialysis Center of East Providence2.98 miles away318 Waterman Avenue East Providence Rhode Island 02914CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (401) 435-5200
- Davita North Providence Renal Center4.08 miles away1635 Mineral Spring Ave. Providence Rhode Island 02904Dialysis Stations: 18 (401) 354-5340
- Nna - Pawtucket4.48 miles away79 Division Street Pawtucket Rhode Island 02860CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (401) 723-9995
- Dialysis Center of Johnston4.71 miles away1526 Atwood Avenue Johnston Rhode Island 02919CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (401) 521-0400