Stearns Nursing & Rehab Center is a nursing home in Granite City, Illinois, a city with 43,735 people. This nursing home was given an extremely poor overall score based on the data we assessed. If you are not happy with this facility's poor overall grade, you may find your options to be limited in Granite City. The city has just one other nursing home. We would not blame you if you are ready to stop reading and find another nursing home. However, if you want to learn more about this place's category grades, inspection grades are discussed in the next section.
Stearns Nursing & Rehab Center
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to receiving a poor overall score, we also gave this facility terrible grades across the board in each of the categories. In fact, it only received a D for its inspections grade, which is its best category. Our inspection ratings weigh several factors found on a facility's inspection reports. You should be especially cautious when considering a facility with severe deficiencies on a recent inspection report. This nursing home was assessed a category G through L deficiency, which rank among the more serious deficiencies. This generally indicates that the deficiencies found by CMS had the potential to cause actual harm to residents. Finally, we would like to point out that this place was assessed significant government fines in recent years amounting to more than $100,000. This often means that a facility's bad track record has been an issue for several years.
One of the other reasons we rated this nursing home so highly is that it received a very impressive nursing grade. This turned out to be its second best category grade. In that category, we awarded this nursing home an F. Nursing grades are tied to levels of nurse staffing. This facility provided just 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a very low total compared to most nursing homes. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing ratings. This facility performed well when it comes to avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls.
Does this page answer your questions about Stearns Nursing & Rehab Center?
Long-term Care Quality
The third category we looked at was long-term care. This facility's was given a bottom of the barrel long-term care grade where it received a lowly F. Long-term care grades in this range generally are a bad sign for the quantity and quality of care provided by nurses and aids. One of the datapoints we considered after nursing hours was vaccinations. We were a bit bothered by the fact that this facility administered the pneumonia vaccination to only 52.090034 percent of its residents. Surprisingly, this place was actually able to limit hospitalizations. With just 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, this nursing home has fewer hospitalizations than the average nursing home. This is its best feature in this category.
Short-term Care Quality
Moving on to our last area, this nursing home really did not fare very well in this area either. Due to a bottom of the barrel grade of F in short-term care, this is really as as uninspiring as it gets. In forming these short-term care scores, we analyze the nursing home's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses, speech therapists, physical therapists and other types of therapists. Our purpose is to formulate a scale for sizing up the rehabilitation services of various nursing homes. Not surprisingly, we found that this nursing home provides far less physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than the average facility. The last datapoint we looked at in this category is the percentage of patients that ultimately returned home from the facility. This nursing home struggled quite a bit in this metric as well, with just 4.2 percent of its patients returning home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Stearns Nursing & Rehab Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Stearns Nursing & Rehab Center, 8.73% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents who developed pressure ulcers . We consider this statistic when determining our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Stearns Nursing & Rehab Center, 3.45% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of residents that suffered from a fall which caused severe injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Stearns Nursing & Rehab Center, 2.6% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of patients who have had a urinary tract infection. UTI's are routinely the result of lower quality nursing care. Closer supervision minimizes the number likelihood of residents sustaining infections. We want to point out that this statistic is sometimes skewed by the fact that nursing homes have incongruent reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Stearns Nursing & Rehab Center, 18.11% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic is an indication of the percent of long-term stay residents who are administered antipsychotic medication. Increased usage of these drugs may indicate that a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior in situations where such medications aren't medically indicated. However, some facilities need to rely on these drugs due to having more residents with cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Stearns Nursing & Rehab Center, 19.04% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic indicates the percentage of long-term stay residents taking antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Stearns Nursing & Rehab Center, 30.45% of Patients
This is the percent of patients exhibiting depressive symptoms. Increased rates of depression may be an indicator worse patient care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Stearns Nursing & Rehab Center, 87.4% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term care residents that were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Stearns Nursing & Rehab Center, 13.9% Percentage of Patients
This is the percentage of patients who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Stearns Nursing & Rehab Center, 17.56% Percentage of Residents
This is the percent of residents that retained mobility levels over time. Preserving mobility can be a good sign for residents' health.
In Stearns Nursing & Rehab Center, 1.66 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Stearns Nursing & Rehab Center, 17.56 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Stearns Nursing & Rehab Center, 11.82 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is a correlation between having fewer emergency room visits and the overall quality of rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Stearns Nursing & Rehab Center, 71.65% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of short-term stay patients who experienced functional improvements.
- Gateway Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.13 miles away2100 Madison Avenue Granite City Illinois 62040Voluntary non-profit - Other(618) 798-3000
- Christian Hospital Northeast-NorthwestAcute Care Hospitals 8.06 miles away11133 Dunn Road Saint Louis Missouri 63136Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 653-5000
- Anderson HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.35 miles away6800 State Route 162 Maryville Illinois 62062Voluntary non-profit - Private(618) 288-5711
- Ssm Health Saint Louis University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.57 miles away3635 Vista Ave Saint Louis Missouri 63110Proprietary(314) 577-8000
- Touchette Regional Hospital IncAcute Care Hospitals 10.99 miles away5900 Bond Avenue East Saint Louis Illinois 62207Voluntary non-profit - Private(618) 332-3060
- St Alexius HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.27 miles away3933 S Broadway Saint Louis Missouri 63118Proprietary(314) 865-7000
- Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.11 miles away4500 Memorial Drive Belleville Illinois 62226Voluntary non-profit - Private(618) 233-7750
- Ssm Health St Mary's Hospital - St LouisAcute Care Hospitals 13.14 miles away6420 Clayton Rd Saint Louis Missouri 63117Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 768-8000
- Davita - Granite City Dialysis Center1.36 miles away9 American Village Granite City Illinois 62040CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (618) 452-5858
- Davita - Foxpoint Dialysis2.09 miles away1300 Schaefer Rd. Suite J Granite City Illinois 62040Dialysis Stations: 12 (618) 451-8730
- Davita - Collinsville4.86 miles away101 Lanter Ct. Collinsville Illinois 62234Dialysis Stations: 8 (618) 344-2016
- North County Kidney Care Dialysis6.94 miles away1554 Sierra Vista Plz Saint Louis Missouri 63138CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (314) 438-0864
- Chambers Dialysis7.55 miles away10241 Lewis & Clark Boulevard Saint Louis Missouri 63136CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (314) 868-5982
- Davita - Maryville Dialysis7.75 miles away2102 Vadalabene Dr Ste 1 Maryville Illinois 62062Dialysis Stations: 16 (618) 288-1196
- Davita - Maryville Home Dialysis7.75 miles away2102 Vadalabene Drive Suite 2 Maryville Illinois 62062Dialysis Stations: 2 (618) 288-1521
- North County Dialysis Center8.35 miles away272 Mayfair Drive Florissant Missouri 63033Dialysis Stations: 16 (314) 859-1234