St Pauls Towers is a nursing home in Oakland, California which has a total of 381,459 people. This facility is ranked among the most elite facilities we found. A score of this caliber requires first-rate marks across the board. Even in a city of 17 other nursing homes, this facility stands out as a quality selection. This facility also received consistently good scores in all four of our categories. Additional information about these categories is available below.
St Pauls Towers
- Nursing Home
- Home Health Agency
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- No Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Nutritional Counseling
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
One of the many reasons this turned out to be a great nursing home is that it earned an A+ in short-term care. This is as good as it gets in this category. In determining our short-term care grades, we assess the facility's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses, occupational therapists, physical therapists and other types of therapists. Our goal is to formulate a scale for sizing up the rehabilitation services of different facilities. Fortunately, it appear that this facility employs registered nurses. Not every nursing home employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, based on the data they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The final statistic we considered in this category is the number of residents who were able to leave the facility and return home. We found that 6.8 percent of this nursing home's residents were able to return home.
One of the other reasons we graded this facility so highly is that it received a very impressive nursing score. This proved to be its second best category grade. In that area, we awarded this nursing home an A. There are many factors included in this category. Many of these criteria are tied to levels of nurse staffing. This particular nursing home provided 0.6 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This facility performed very well in the area of avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Does this page answer your questions about St Pauls Towers?
Another impressive feature of this nursing home is its inspection score. In that category, we awarded this facility an impressive grade of A. Our inspection scores are based on many pieces of information located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Places that excel in this category tend to have very few deficiencies on those reports. Most importantly, these places should not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. This nursing home received 4 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to see that none of the deficiencies were considered to be severe. This indicates that the inspectors did not consider any of the deficiencies an immediate threat to resident health or safety. Keep in mind that deficiency-free inspections are rare in the industry.
Long-term Care Quality
The final category we rated is long-term care, where this facility received a B. Even though this proved to be its weakest category rating, this is still a quality grade. When nursing homes receive a grade in this range in this category it typically means it's well-staffed and is a quality place to reside on a permanent basis. On top of assessing the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we analyzed the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home administered the vaccine to 100 percent of its patients, which is significantly higher than the vast majority of nursing homes. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had only 0 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
St Pauls Towers Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In St Pauls Towers, 7.62% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of residents that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a measure of the quality of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, also known as bed sores, are often the result of patients not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In St Pauls Towers, 1.67% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of residents who suffered from a fall which caused major injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In St Pauls Towers, 1.21% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of residents that sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's are routinely associated with poor nursing care. More frequent bathing limits the number likelihood of residents sustaining infections. Keep in mind that this statistic is sometimes skewed by the fact that facilities have incongruent reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In St Pauls Towers, 10.06% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic measures the percent of long-term care residents taking antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs serve an important medical purpose, it is important to ensure these medications are being used only where medically required. In limited cases, increased usage of these drugs may mean that a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In St Pauls Towers, 13.91% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of residents who were given antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety medications are administered to patients suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In St Pauls Towers, 4.33% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term patients showing signs of depression. Many in the industry would argue that this is a measure of resident quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In St Pauls Towers, 95.72% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents that were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In St Pauls Towers, 8.37% Percentage of Patients
This is the percent of patients that required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of dependence on staff for assistance with activities of daily living could indicate the deterioration of a resident's health.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In St Pauls Towers, 14.05% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term stay residents that maintained mobility. Many believe that the ability to move around is vital to patients well-being.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In St Pauls Towers, 14.05 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care. Avoiding rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is important to restoring the physical well-being of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In St Pauls Towers, 9.85 Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In St Pauls Towers, 79.63% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percent of short-term stay residents who saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
Scores for Oakland, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Oakland, California has 16 other nursing homes
- Alta Bates Summit Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.64 miles away350 Hawthorne Avenue Oakland California 94609Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 655-4000
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - Oakland/RichmondAcute Care Hospitals 0.85 miles away275 West Macarthur Boulevard Oakland California 94611Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 752-1000
- Children's Hospital & Research Center OaklandChildrens 1.82 miles away747 52nd Street Oakland California 94609Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 428-3000
- Highland HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.84 miles away1411 East 31st Street Oakland California 94602Government - Hospital District or Authority(510) 437-4800
- Alta Bates Summit Medical Center - Alta Bates CampAcute Care Hospitals 3.11 miles away2450 Ashby Avenue Berkeley California 94705Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 204-4444
- Alameda HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.41 miles away2070 Clinton Avenue Alameda California 94501Government - Hospital District or Authority(510) 522-3700
- Chinese HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.12 miles away845 Jackson St San Francisco California 94133Voluntary non-profit - Private(415) 982-2400
- Saint Francis Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.6 miles away900 Hyde St San Francisco California 94109Voluntary non-profit - Private(415) 353-6000
- Rai Peralta0.55 miles away2757 Telegraph Avenue Oakland California 94612CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (510) 835-0154
- Satellite Dialysis Oakland0.77 miles away3330 Telegraph Ave Oakland California 94609CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (510) 433-8340
- Rai Piedmont1.78 miles away2710 Telegraph Avenue Suite #100 Oakland California 94612CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 33 (510) 286-9948
- Oakland Dialysis Center1.99 miles away5354 Claremont Avenue Oakland California 94618CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 40 (510) 597-0104
- Rai - East Bay - Oakland2.95 miles away2628 International Blvd, Ste 100 Oakland California 94601CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (510) 261-8219
- Wellbound of Emeryville2.95 miles away2000 Powell Street Suite 140 Emeryville California 94608Dialysis Stations: 4 (510) 985-9660
- Us Renal Care Berkeley3.34 miles away2895 7th Street Berkeley California 94710Dialysis Stations: 24 (510) 843-0627
- Berkeley Dialysis Center3.42 miles away2655 Shattuck Ave Berkeley California 94704CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 23 (510) 486-8706