St Paul's Home is one of eight available nursing homes in Belleville, Illinois. We awarded this nursing home an overall score of C, which made it one of the top three facilities in Belleville. You could certainly do worse than this nursing home. One of the highlights of this nursing home's profile is its impressive inspection score, which we will address in the next paragraph.
St Paul's Home
Updated May 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
1021 West E Street,
Belleville IL 62220
89.35% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
This nursing home's best category grade came in the category of government inspections. In that area, we gave this facility a B+. It actually outperformed most facilities in this area. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in calculating our inspection scores. One of those factors is deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of these deficiencies is usually more meaningful than the quantity of deficiencies, as some of these are quite insignificant. This place received 3 deficiencies on its inspection report, but fortunately none of the deficiencies were considered to be major deficiencies. This means that CMS did not deem any of the deficiencies to be an imminent risk to patient health or safety. A couple of minor deficiencies shouldn't lead you to cross a nursing home off your list.
We also wanted to emphasize the fact that this nursing home received an impressive grade of B in nursing. The nursing rating weighs quite a few components, but the most important consideration is the level of nurse hours per patient per week. This particular nursing home provided 0 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also looked at some quality-based measures in this category. This nursing home fared well in some of the quality-based metrics we looked at. By way of illustration, in terms of the number of its patients suffering from pressure ulcers, this nursing home performed better than the national average. This is generally an indicator that a place has reliable quality controls in place. Pressure ulcers can generally be avoided with better nursing care.
Does this page answer your questions about St Paul's Home?
Short-term Care Quality
The next area we analyzed is short-term care. In that category, we gave this nursing home a B-. In our short-term care category, we endeavor to forge a valuable gauge for rehabilitation services. In doing so, we assess a nursing home's level of skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as speech therapy. Unfortunately, we found that this facility provided fewer registered nurse and physical therapist hours per resident than most other facilities. The key is determining what bearing this had on the quality of care. The final measure we looked at in this category is the percentage of patients who eventually returned home from the nursing home. We found that just 43.9 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
Long-term Care Quality
Turning to the last area, this nursing home was given a decent long-term care score of C. For residents seeking a permanent place to live rather than rehabilitation, long-term care is an important category. Once we assessed the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we then analyzed the facility's vaccination data. We were concerned by the fact that this facility vaccinated just 61.11111 percent of its residents for pneumonia. The last datapoint we looked at is the nursing home's hospitalization rate. While it had 2.24 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, its risk adjusted score was not as bad.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
St Paul's Home Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In St Paul's Home, 8.96% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This metric is an indication of the percentage of long-term care residents who suffered from pressure ulcers. We've found that pressure ulcers are a great measure of nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In St Paul's Home, 3.48% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of patients who have had a fall which resulted in major injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In St Paul's Home, 2.6% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of residents that sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered to be a measure of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are routinely the result of a nursing home with worse hygiene protocols. Nevertheless, this metric may also be skewed for certain nursing homes due to different reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In St Paul's Home, 18.2% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients prescribed antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic medications are given to residents for a variety of conditions, including cognitive disorders. Unfortunately, in limited cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In St Paul's Home, 19.06% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure is a measure of the percent of long-term residents taking antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In St Paul's Home, 29.52% of Patients
This is the percent of patients who are demonstrating signs of depression. Increased rates of depression could be a sign a less hospitable environment.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In St Paul's Home, 87.71% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term patients that have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for nursing home residents, making these vaccines vital to patient care.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In St Paul's Home, 14.14% Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term care residents who required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as taking medications and taking a bath.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In St Paul's Home, 19.35% Percentage of Residents
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients who retained mobility levels.
In St Paul's Home, 1.5 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In St Paul's Home, 19.35 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term resident care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In St Paul's Home, 11.42 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is usually a correlation between having fewer emergency room visits and the overall quality of rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In St Paul's Home, 71.34% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percentage of short-term patients who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
Scores for Belleville, IL
- Overall Rating has a grade of D
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Belleville, Illinois has 7 other nursing homes
- Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.55 miles away4500 Memorial Drive Belleville Illinois 62226Voluntary non-profit - Private(618) 233-7750
- Metro-East Services IncAcute Care Hospitals 6.06 miles away1404 Cross Street O Fallon Illinois 62269Voluntary non-profit - Private(618) 607-1000
- Touchette Regional Hospital IncAcute Care Hospitals 7.02 miles away5900 Bond Avenue East Saint Louis Illinois 62207Voluntary non-profit - Private(618) 332-3060
- St Alexius HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.26 miles away3933 S Broadway Saint Louis Missouri 63118Proprietary(314) 865-7000
- Gateway Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 14.86 miles away2100 Madison Avenue Granite City Illinois 62040Voluntary non-profit - Other(618) 798-3000
- Ssm Health Saint Louis University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 14.91 miles away3635 Vista Ave Saint Louis Missouri 63110Proprietary(314) 577-8000
- Anderson HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.36 miles away6800 State Route 162 Maryville Illinois 62062Voluntary non-profit - Private(618) 288-5711
- Ssm Health St Mary's Hospital - St LouisAcute Care Hospitals 18.69 miles away6420 Clayton Rd Saint Louis Missouri 63117Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 768-8000
- Davita - Metro East Dialysis2.57 miles away5105 West Main St. Belleville Illinois 62226CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 36 (618) 233-9018
- Fkc - Belleville3.42 miles away6525 W Main Street Belleville Illinois 62223Dialysis Stations: 12 (618) 398-8181
- Davita - Shiloh Dialysis4.86 miles away1095 North Green Mount Rd Belleville Illinois 62221CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (618) 628-1108
- Total Renal Care, Inc.5.4 miles away1941 Frank Scott Parkway East, Suite B O Fallon Illinois 62269Dialysis Stations: 12 (618) 622-0592
- Davita Edgemont Dialysis6.23 miles away8 Vieux Carre Drive East Saint Louis Illinois 62201Dialysis Stations: 12 (618) 398-3809
- Fmc - Regency Park6.83 miles away124 Regency Park Drive O Fallon Illinois 62269CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (618) 622-0634
- Davita - Sauget Dialysis Center11.49 miles away2061 Goose Lake Road East Saint Louis Illinois 62206CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (618) 332-7801
- Davita - Collinsville11.84 miles away101 Lanter Ct. Collinsville Illinois 62234Dialysis Stations: 8 (618) 344-2016