St. Mary's Hospital is a very-small hospital-based facility located in Huntington, West Virginia. This facility is among the most impressive facilities we looked at. Receiving an A+ in our grading scheme requires superb scores across the board. We were so impressed with this facility that we ranked it as one of the top 100 best nursing homes in the country. Headlining this facility's exemplary report card is its inspection score, which we will address in the next paragraph.
St. Mary's Hospital
Updated May 1, 2022 by Sara Levinsohn
2900 First Street,
Huntington WV 25702
76.84% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
To go along with its favorable overall score, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A+ for our inspection category. Our inspection ratings weigh several factors included in a facility's inspection reports. One of the most important criteria we weigh heavily is the number and severity of deficiencies. Nursing homes with higher grades in this category typically have very few of these severe deficiencies. Although this nursing home had a few deficiencies on its report, none of them were serious based on CMS' scale. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Short-term Care Quality
We also awarded this nursing home a score of A+ for its short-term care grade. In calculating our short-term care ratings, we look at the facility's levels of highly skilled nursing, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists occupational therapists and other types of therapists. This area is frequently a meaningful assessment of a nursing home's rehabilitation services. This place offered more physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than most facilities. The last item we looked at in this area is the percentage of patients who were able to leave the nursing home and return to the community. We found that it fared as well as just about any facility in West Virginia in this area with 75.1 percent of its residents returning home.
Does this page answer your questions about St. Mary's Hospital?
Another reason we rated this nursing home so highly is that it received an A+ nursing grade. This is simply as good as it gets in this category. When computing a nursing home's nursing rating, we consider the number of hours nurses are with residents and the level of skill of the nurses. This place boasts a really impressive 7.9 hours of nursing care per resident on a daily basis, of which a significant portion of those hours were provided by registered nurses. This is one of the more highly trained levels of nurses. In addition to offering impressive levels of nursing care, this place also excelled in the quality measures we looked at. It performed as well as any facility in West Virginia when it comes to avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers.
Long-term Care Quality
In our last area, this nursing home also was awarded an excellent long-term care score, with an A. This wrapped up a very impressive report card. Facilities that receive this kind of score in long-term care typically provide consistent 24/7 care to ensure residents are kept in good health. After assessing the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we then analyzed the facility's vaccination record. Unfortunately, it does not look like this nursing home provided information on its vaccination levels. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. It had only 0 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
St. Mary's Hospital Quality Metrics
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In St. Mary's Hospital, 12.15 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care. There is typically a correlation between having fewer emergency room visits and the quality of care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In St. Mary's Hospital, 72.36% Percentage of Resident
This metric measures the percentage of short-term care patients who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Many in the industry believe this is a measure of a nursing home's rehabilitation performance.
- St Mary's Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0 miles away2900 1st Avenue Huntington West Virginia 25702Voluntary non-profit - Church(304) 526-1234
- Cabell Huntington Hospital IncAcute Care Hospitals 2.12 miles away1340 Hal Greer Boulevard Huntington West Virginia 25701Voluntary non-profit - Private(304) 526-2192
- King's Daughters' Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.89 miles away2201 Lexington Avenue Ashland Kentucky 41101Voluntary non-profit - Private(606) 408-4401
- Our Lady of Bellefonte HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 16.54 miles away1000 Saint Christopher Drive Ashland Kentucky 41101Voluntary non-profit - Private(606) 833-3600
- Fms Cabell Huntington Dialysis Centers, LLC1.99 miles away1500 17th Street Huntington West Virginia 25701Dialysis Stations: 4 (304) 525-8091
- J Robert Pritchard Dialysis Center2.11 miles away1690 Medical Center Dr Huntington West Virginia 25701CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (304) 399-1290
- Fmc - Tri-State Dialysis3.05 miles away517 3rd Avenue Chesapeake Ohio 45619Dialysis Stations: 15 (740) 867-4471
- Fmc - River Hills3.23 miles away5170 Us Rte 60 East Huntington West Virginia 25705CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (304) 733-0004
- Labette Dialysis LLC6 miles away367 County Road 406, Unit 11 South Point Ohio 45680Dialysis Stations: 9 (740) 894-0830
- Fmc - Central Ashland13.11 miles away424 River Hill Drive Ashland Kentucky 41101Dialysis Stations: 20 (606) 329-0363
- Fmc - Greenup13.18 miles away965 Townhill Plaza Greenup Kentucky 41144Dialysis Stations: 13 (606) 473-0410
- Fmc - Ashland13.24 miles away432 16th Street, Suite A Ashland Kentucky 41101Dialysis Stations: 18 (606) 325-5268