St. Mary's Hospital is a facility in Huntington, West Virginia, which has a total of 74,975 people. With an overall rating of A+, it turned out to be the number one rated facility in Huntington. In addition, this is a hospital-based facility, which is a positive for prospective patients with significant health conditions. This also appears to be a very consistent nursing home with consistent scores in all of the major categories. More information about its category grades is available below.
St. Mary's Hospital
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Nutritional Counseling
Best Nursing Home in West Virginia Awards 2019
Best Nursing Home in Huntington, West Virginia Awards 2019
Best Nursing Home in West Virginia Awards 2020
Best Nursing Home in West Virginia Awards 2021
Best Nursing Home in Huntington, West Virginia Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
To go along with its strong overall grade, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A+ for our inspections rating. Inspection ratings weigh several factors, including deficiencies, substantiated complaints and federal fines. You can find more information about each of these items by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. While this place had a few deficiencies on its report, none of them were major deficiencies based on CMS' deficiency scale. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Short-term Care Quality
This facility also was awarded an A+ short-term care grade, making it one of the few nursing homes to be awarded several A+ category grades. Our short-term care ratings are arguably most important for folks in need of a nursing home for rehabilitation. Rehabilitation generally mandates higher levels of highly-skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing means not merely nursing, but also physical and speech therapy, as well as other types of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not all nursing homes employs these types of nurses. However, based on the information this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The last datapoint we looked at in this area is the number of patients who ultimately returned home from the nursing home. We found that 7.3 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home as opposed to remaining at the nursing home on a permanent basis.
Does this page answer your questions about St. Mary's Hospital?
This nursing home also received an A+ for its nursing grade. When computing a facility's nursing rating, we assess the quantity of hours nurses are with patients and the skill levels of those nurses. This nursing home provides 0.8 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This place performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a facility has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can frequently be prevented if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Long-term Care Quality
The final area we rated was long-term care, where this nursing home was given a grade of A. This finished off a very strong report card. Few nursing homes received an A- or higher in every category. Long-term care scores in this range generally require both around the clock care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine healthcare services. On top of considering the volume of care provided by nurses and other staff, we analyzed the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. Unfortunately, we weren't able to track down this place's vaccination data. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
St. Mary's Hospital Quality Metrics
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In St. Mary's Hospital, 13.15 Percentage of Patients
Measures the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In St. Mary's Hospital, 70.85% Percentage of Resident
This metric measures the percentage of short-term stay patients who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Many in the industry believe this is a reasonable measure of rehabilitation performance.
Scores for Huntington, WV
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Huntington, West Virginia has 3 other nursing homes
- St Mary's Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0 miles away2900 1st Avenue Huntington West Virginia 25702Voluntary non-profit - Church(304) 526-1234
- Cabell Huntington Hospital IncAcute Care Hospitals 2.12 miles away1340 Hal Greer Boulevard Huntington West Virginia 25701Voluntary non-profit - Private(304) 526-2192
- King's Daughters' Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.89 miles away2201 Lexington Avenue Ashland Kentucky 41101Voluntary non-profit - Private(606) 408-4401
- Our Lady of Bellefonte HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 16.54 miles away1000 Saint Christopher Drive Ashland Kentucky 41101Voluntary non-profit - Private(606) 833-3600
- Fms Cabell Huntington Dialysis Centers, LLC1.99 miles away1500 17th Street Huntington West Virginia 25701Dialysis Stations: 4 (304) 525-8091
- J Robert Pritchard Dialysis Center2.11 miles away1690 Medical Center Dr Huntington West Virginia 25701CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (304) 399-1290
- Fmc - Tri-State Dialysis3.05 miles away517 3rd Avenue Chesapeake Ohio 45619Dialysis Stations: 15 (740) 867-4471
- Fmc - River Hills3.23 miles away5170 Us Rte 60 East Huntington West Virginia 25705CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (304) 733-0004
- Labette Dialysis LLC6 miles away367 County Road 406, Unit 11 South Point Ohio 45680Dialysis Stations: 9 (740) 894-0830
- Fmc - Central Ashland13.11 miles away424 River Hill Drive Ashland Kentucky 41101Dialysis Stations: 20 (606) 329-0363
- Fmc - Greenup13.18 miles away965 Townhill Plaza Greenup Kentucky 41144Dialysis Stations: 13 (606) 473-0410
- Fmc - Ashland13.24 miles away432 16th Street, Suite A Ashland Kentucky 41101Dialysis Stations: 18 (606) 325-5268