St Marys Center is a small non-profit nursing home located in New York, New York. We awarded this facility an overall grade of A- which is a very impressive overall rating. This is one of the highest graded facilities in New York, which has some very good nursing homes. We simply can't say enough good things about this place. This place's impressive profile was highlighted by its inspection reports, which we will address in the next section.
St Marys Center
- Nursing Home
- Adult Day Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
516 West 126th Street,
New York NY 10027
86% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Colostomy Care
- Catheter Care
Top Nursing Home in New York Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
We also wanted to emphasize the fact that this facility earned near flawless inspections recently. We awarded them an A+ in this category. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in computing these inspection scores. One critical factor is health deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of the deficiencies is arguably more meaningful than the quantity of deficiencies, as some of these end up being quite minor. Fortunately, although this place had some minor dings on its report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are those found in categories G through L. This tells you that the inspectors didn't consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
This facility also was given a fine long-term care grade. Indeed, this ended up being its second most impressive category score. In that category, this facility received a score of A-. Facilities that receive this kind of grade in this category tend to provide consistent 24/7 care to make sure residents are kept in good health. One of the factors we considered after nursing hours was vaccines. This facility provided the pneumonia vaccine to 100 percent of its residents. This is a reliable method to minimize unnecessary hospitalizations for the aged 65 and up population. Finally, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had only 0 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about St Marys Center?
Short-term Care Quality
Turning the page to our third area, we gave this facility a grade of A- for our short-term care rating. This is a very strong rating. Our short-term care ratings are probably more important for people requiring a nursing home for rehabilitation. Rehabilitation generally requires more highly-skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing means not merely nursing, but also physical and speech therapy, as well as other types of therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this facility employs registered nurses. Not every nursing home employs these skilled professionals. However, according to the information this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The last metric we considered in this category is the percentage of patients who were able to leave the facility and return to the community. We found that 0 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home.
The final area we scored is nursing, where this nursing home was given a B+. This rounded out an elite profile. Only a select few nursing homes received a B+ or higher in each of our categories. The nursing rating assesses quite a few data points, but the main one is the number of nurse hours per patient per week. This nursing home provides 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality-based metrics and this facility excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any place New York in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can often be prevented by offering better nursing care, such as having a system of moving a resident more often.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
St Marys Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In St Marys Center, 9.58% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of patients that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many experts to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, which are also known as bed sores, are often the result of patients staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In St Marys Center, 3.04% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint tells you the percentage of long-term care residents that have sustained a fall resulting in severe injury. This is one of the statistics we use in calculating nursing ratings.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In St Marys Center, 2.1% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term patients that experienced a urinary tract infection. While more of these infections could reflect poorly on a facility's hygiene protocols, it is difficult to compare between nursing homes due to facilities having varying reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In St Marys Center, 11.59% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents given antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic medications are administered to patients for many medical conditions, including cognitive disorders. Unfortunately, in some cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate that a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In St Marys Center, 13.3% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of residents prescribed antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety drugs are given to patients suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In St Marys Center, 13.2% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term patients who are showing signs of depression. Some argue that this is a reasonable measure of quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In St Marys Center, 91.26% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients who have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In St Marys Center, 14.75% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of dependence on staff for assistance with ADL's may be a sign of the decline of a resident's health.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In St Marys Center, 17.32% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients that retained mobility levels. Some experts believe that mobility is important for residents' mental and physical health.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In St Marys Center, 17.32 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care.
Scores for New York, NY
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? New York, New York has 15 other nursing homes
- Harlem Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.81 miles away506 Lenox Avenue New York New York 10037Government - Local(212) 939-1000
- Lincoln Medical & Mental Health CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.68 miles away234 East 149th Street Bronx New York 10451Government - Local(718) 579-5000
- Metropolitan Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.18 miles away1901 First Avenue New York New York 10029Government - Local(212) 423-6262
- Palisades Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.52 miles away7600 River Rd North Bergen New Jersey 07047Voluntary non-profit - Private(201) 854-5000
- Lenox Hill HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.86 miles away100 East 77th Street New York New York 10021Voluntary non-profit - Private(212) 439-2345
- Bronx-Lebanon Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.98 miles away1276 Fulton Avenue Bronx New York 10456Proprietary(212) 588-7000
- Hospital for Special SurgeryAcute Care Hospitals 3.48 miles away535 East 70th Street New York New York 10021Voluntary non-profit - Private(212) 606-1000
- New York-Presbyterian Hospital-New York Weill CornAcute Care Hospitals 3.53 miles away525 East 68th Street New York New York 10065Voluntary non-profit - Private(212) 746-5454
- Avantus Harlem Green Dialysis0.06 miles away488 West 128th Street 2nd Floor New York New York 10027CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (212) 866-0206
- Harlem Hospital0.82 miles away506 Lenox Avenue - Room 18-107 Dialysis Unit New York New York 10037Dialysis Stations: 11 (212) 939-4848
- Park Avenue Dialysis Center LLC1.16 miles away116 East 124th Street New York New York 10035CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (646) 979-3317
- Avantus Upper Manhattan Dialysis Center1.46 miles away801 Amsterdam Avenue New York New York 10025CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (646) 774-4400
- Ridgewood Dialysis Center, Inc.1.48 miles away1249 Fifth Avenue Dialysis Unit New York New York 10029CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (212) 360-3860
- City Dialysis Center1.58 miles away105 East 106th Street New York New York 10029CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (212) 348-6637
- Lincoln Hospital1.67 miles away234 East 149th Street Hemodialysis Unit Bronx New York 10451Dialysis Stations: 8 (718) 579-5548
- Mt. Sinai Kidney Ctr.1.72 miles away1 Gustave L. Levy Place Renal Treatment Ctr. Box 1147 New York New York 10029Dialysis Stations: 12 (212) 241-8081