St Mary of the Woods is a small nursing home located in Avon, Ohio. It looks like this nursing home is among the higher-rated facilities we looked at. A grade of this caliber requires first-rate marks across the board. In fact, we ranked this nursing home in the top quarter of all nursing homes in the nation. The best aspect of this facility's strong report card is its inspection reports. We discuss inspections in the next section
St Mary of the Woods
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- No Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Top Nursing Home in Ohio Awards 2020
Best Nursing Home in Avon, Ohio Awards 2020
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to being a great overall grade, this facility also received A+ health inspections in recent years. Its inspections were virtually flawless. Our inspection grades are tied to many items located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Nursing homes that excel in this category have very few deficiencies on those reports. Most importantly, these facilities generally do not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. This place was assessed 2 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none were considered severe. This indicates that the government inspectors did not consider any of these deficiencies to pose an imminent risk to patient health or safety. The fact that none of the deficiencies were severe leaves us less concerned with this inspection report.
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home also fared very well in the area of short-term care, where we gave it a score of A. Not many nursing homes received a better grade in this area. Our short-term care ratings are likely most important for residents in need of a nursing home for rehabilitation. Rehabilitation typically mandates higher levels of skilled nursing. Skilled nursing includes not just nursing services, but also physical and respiratory therapy, as well as other types of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not every facility employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, based on the data they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The final datapoint we considered in this category is the number of patients who ultimately were able to return home from the nursing home. We found that 6.2 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home as opposed to remaining at the facility on a permanent basis.
Does this page answer your questions about St Mary of the Woods?
To complement its strong performance in other areas, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A+ for our inspections rating. When computing our nursing grades, we weigh both nursing hours and the training levels of the nurses. This particular nursing home provided 0.7 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This facility performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a place has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can generally be prevented if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Long-term Care Quality
The last category we graded is long-term care. This nursing home was awarded an impressive long-term care grade this year, with a B-. Although this wasn't quite as strong as many of its other scores, this remains an acceptable score in this category. In calculating our long-term care ratings, we assess the personal care received by a facility's residents. Once we concluded our assessment of the volume of nursing care, we then looked at the nursing home's vaccination data. We were optimistic to discover that this nursing home vaccinated 100 percent of its patients for pneumonia. This facility was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
St Mary of the Woods Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In St Mary of the Woods, 7.61% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of residents that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also known as bed sores, are routinely the result of patients not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing care can minimize the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In St Mary of the Woods, 3.74% of Patients had Serious Falls
This statistic gauges the percent of long-term care residents which sustained a fall resulting in serious injury. We use this statistic in computing nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In St Mary of the Woods, 1.71% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of residents that sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a measure of nursing care . UTI's are often linked to a facility with lower levels of hygiene. However, this metric may be misleading for some facilities due to inconsistent reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In St Mary of the Woods, 13.23% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of patients who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic medications are prescribed to residents for many conditions, including Alzheimer's or other dementias. Tragically, in limited cases, excessive reliance on these medications may indicate that a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In St Mary of the Woods, 22.46% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint tells you the percent of long-term patients which are administered antianxiety medication. These drugs are typically used to treat patients experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In St Mary of the Woods, 20.26% of Patients
This is the percent of patients exhibiting symptoms of depression. Higher levels of depression could reveal lower quality care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In St Mary of the Woods, 90.12% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents who received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In St Mary of the Woods, 14.88% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of dependence on staff for assistance with activities of daily living may be a sign of the decline of a resident's health.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In St Mary of the Woods, 12 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In St Mary of the Woods, 75.25% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of short-term patients that experienced functional improvements.
Scores for Avon, OH
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-plus
Looking for more options? Avon, Ohio has 3 other nursing homes
- Uh St John Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.1 miles away29000 Center Ridge Road Westlake Ohio 44145Voluntary non-profit - Private(440) 835-8000
- Fairview HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.99 miles away18101 Lorain Avenue Cleveland Ohio 44111Voluntary non-profit - Private(216) 476-7000
- Southwest General Health CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.07 miles away18697 Bagley Road Cleveland Ohio 44130Voluntary non-profit - Private(440) 816-6701
- Mercy Health-Lorain HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.48 miles away3700 Kolbe Road Lorain Ohio 44053Voluntary non-profit - Private(440) 960-4000
- Mercy Health-Allen HospitalCritical Access Hospitals 15.77 miles away200 West Lorain Street Oberlin Ohio 44074Voluntary non-profit - Private(440) 775-1211
- Lutheran HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 16.06 miles away1730 West 25th Street Cleveland Ohio 44113Voluntary non-profit - Private(216) 696-4300
- Metrohealth SystemAcute Care Hospitals 16.33 miles away2500 Metrohealth Drive Cleveland Ohio 44109Voluntary non-profit - Other(216) 778-7089
- St Vincent Charity Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 17.75 miles away2351 East 22nd Street Cleveland Ohio 44115Voluntary non-profit - Private(216) 861-6200
- Fmc - Dialysis Specialists of Northeast Ohio4.67 miles away1070 Abbe Road North Elyria Ohio 44035Dialysis Stations: 21 (440) 365-8165
- Fmc - Westlake Dialysis Center5.55 miles away26024 Detroit Road Westlake Ohio 44145Dialysis Stations: 23 (440) 835-1139
- Davita - Center Ridge Dialysis5.57 miles away38630 Center Ridge Road North Ridgeville Ohio 44039Dialysis Stations: 14 (440) 327-2070
- Center for Dialysis Care Westside Home Care LLC6.19 miles away24651 Center Ridge Rd Suite 450 Westlake Ohio 44145Dialysis Stations: 10 (440) 899-2808
- Fmc - Heritage Dialysis7.26 miles away1160 East Broad St. Elyria Ohio 44035CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (440) 365-1811
- Davita - Villa of Great Northern7.68 miles away22710 Fairview Center Dr., Ste 100 Cleveland Ohio 44126Dialysis Stations: 7 (440) 734-4630
- Fmc - Elyria Renal Care Group7.89 miles away5316 Hoag Drive H Mcdonald Dialysis Ctr Elyria Ohio 44035Dialysis Stations: 20 (440) 934-5700
- Davita - Hilliard Dialysis9.33 miles away19133 Hilliard Blvd Rocky River Ohio 44116CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (216) 712-4700