St Mary of the Woods is a small nursing home located in Avon, Ohio. It looks like this nursing home is among the most elite facilities we assessed. This facility was given one of the best grades that we offer. In fact, this nursing home has the distinction of being one of the 50 best facilities in Ohio. As you will find below, this facility also performed well in our category ratings. It's hard to find any major flaws in this facility's profile.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
St Mary of the Woods
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Avon senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- No Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Top Nursing Home in Ohio Awards 2020
Best Nursing Home in Avon, Ohio Awards 2020
Registered Staff Hours
One of the many reasons this turned out to be a quality nursing home is that it received an A+ inspection grade. This is simply as good as it gets in this critical category. Perhaps the most critical factor we look at in computing our inspection grades is deficiencies. Deficiencies are found on a facility's recent inspection reports. Places with higher scores in this category most likely avoided the more severe deficiencies involving patient abuse or death. While this facility had a few deficiencies on its government inspection report, none were serious based on CMS' deficiency scale. We should note that deficiency-free inspection reports are uncommon in this industry.
In addition, this facility received high marks in the area of nursing. As a result, it received one of our highest grades in that category with a score of A+. Nursing ratings are largely based on a facility's nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.6 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This place performed very well when it comes to avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Does this page answer your questions about St Mary of the Woods?
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home also was given an A+ for its short-term care grade. In the category of short-term care, we strive to assess indicators of a nursing home's rehabilitation services. We analyze a nursing home's skilled nursing services, including the ones performed by registered nurses and physical therapists. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not every nursing home employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, based on the information this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The final metric we assessed in this area is the percentage of residents who ultimately returned home from the nursing home. We found that 6.2 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home as opposed to remaining at the nursing home on a permanent basis.
Long-term Care Quality
Moving on to the fourth area, this nursing home received a high-end long-term care grade. While this wasn't nearly as good as a few of its other scores, this is still one of the better grades we offer. Nursing homes that receive this type of grade in long-term care tend to provide consistent around the clock care to make sure residents are well cared for. In addition to assessing the quantity of care provided by aids and other staff, we analyzed the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility administered the vaccine to 100 percent of its residents. Vaccines are critical to keeping residents out of the hospital. Lastly, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. It had only 0 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
St Mary of the Woods Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In St Mary of the Woods, 7.69% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of patients that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many experts to be a measure of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, which are also referred to as bed sores, are often the result of residents staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In St Mary of the Woods, 0% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint tells you the percent of long-term stay patients who have experienced falls which caused major injury. This is one of the statistics we use in computing nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In St Mary of the Woods, 3.13% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of patients who sustained a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are often associated with facilities with worst hygiene practices. Additional nurse staffing can limit the number of UTI's sustained by residents in a nursing home. Note that this datapoint is sometimes skewed by the fact that nursing homes have varying reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In St Mary of the Woods, 0% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients prescribed antipsychotic medications. These drugs are sometimes used to treat several conditions, such as dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In St Mary of the Woods, 5.88% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure tells you the percent of long-term stay residents receiving antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In St Mary of the Woods, 0% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term care residents who are demonstrating depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In St Mary of the Woods, 100% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents that have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In St Mary of the Woods, 9.68% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents that required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with ADL's could be a sign of the erosion of a resident's medical condition.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In St Mary of the Woods, 5.84% of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In St Mary of the Woods, 83.15% of Resident
This is the percent of short-term stay residents who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
- Uh St John Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.1 miles away29000 Center Ridge Road Westlake Ohio 44145Voluntary non-profit - Private(440) 835-8000
- Fairview HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.99 miles away18101 Lorain Avenue Cleveland Ohio 44111Voluntary non-profit - Private(216) 476-7000
- Southwest General Health CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.07 miles away18697 Bagley Road Cleveland Ohio 44130Voluntary non-profit - Private(440) 816-6701
- Mercy Health-Lorain HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.48 miles away3700 Kolbe Road Lorain Ohio 44053Voluntary non-profit - Private(440) 960-4000
- Mercy Health-Allen HospitalCritical Access Hospitals 15.77 miles away200 West Lorain Street Oberlin Ohio 44074Voluntary non-profit - Private(440) 775-1211
- Lutheran HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 16.06 miles away1730 West 25th Street Cleveland Ohio 44113Voluntary non-profit - Private(216) 696-4300
- Metrohealth SystemAcute Care Hospitals 16.33 miles away2500 Metrohealth Drive Cleveland Ohio 44109Voluntary non-profit - Other(216) 778-7089
- St Vincent Charity Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 17.75 miles away2351 East 22nd Street Cleveland Ohio 44115Voluntary non-profit - Private(216) 861-6200
- Fmc - Dialysis Specialists of Northeast Ohio4.67 miles away1070 Abbe Road North Elyria Ohio 44035Dialysis Stations: 21 (440) 365-8165
- Fmc - Westlake Dialysis Center5.55 miles away26024 Detroit Road Westlake Ohio 44145Dialysis Stations: 23 (440) 835-1139
- Davita - Center Ridge Dialysis5.57 miles away38630 Center Ridge Road North Ridgeville Ohio 44039Dialysis Stations: 14 (440) 327-2070
- Center for Dialysis Care Westside Home Care LLC6.19 miles away24651 Center Ridge Rd Suite 450 Westlake Ohio 44145Dialysis Stations: 10 (440) 899-2808
- Fmc - Heritage Dialysis7.26 miles away1160 East Broad St. Elyria Ohio 44035CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (440) 365-1811
- Davita - Villa of Great Northern7.68 miles away22710 Fairview Center Dr., Ste 100 Cleveland Ohio 44126Dialysis Stations: 7 (440) 734-4630
- Fmc - Elyria Renal Care Group7.89 miles away5316 Hoag Drive H Mcdonald Dialysis Ctr Elyria Ohio 44035Dialysis Stations: 20 (440) 934-5700
- Davita - Hilliard Dialysis9.33 miles away19133 Hilliard Blvd Rocky River Ohio 44116CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (216) 712-4700