St Mary Center for Rehabilitation & Healthcare is an average-sized nursing home located in Lansdale, Pennsylvania. This turns out to be a respectable facility, with an overall grade of C. Based on our assessment, there are definitely much worse facilities out there. The best part of this place's profile was its remarkable inspection reports. We discuss inspections in the next paragraph.
St Mary Center for Rehabilitation & Healthcare
Updated May 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
701 Lansdale Avenue,
Lansdale PA 19446
87.75% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
The main reason this ended up being a decent nursing home is that it received an elite inspection score. In fact, its inspection grade was far superior to its overall grade. In our inspections category, we gave this facility a grade of A. Our inspection ratings account for several factors included in a facility's inspection reports. One of the most important criteria we weigh heavily is the number and severity of deficiencies. Places with better grades in this area typically have very few of these severe deficiencies. Although this nursing home had some deficiencies on its government inspection report, none were serious based on CMS' deficiency scale. A couple of minor deficiencies should not lead you to cross a nursing home off your list.
Long-term Care Quality
The second highest category we gave this facility in any category came in the category of long-term care, where we awarded it a grade of C. Our long-term care grade is used to gauge a facility's performance as a traditional nursing home, as opposed to focusing more on the skilled nursing services offered by a rehabilitation facility. After considering the quantity of care provided by aids and other staff, we turned to the facility's vaccination data. We were somewhat surprised to discover that this facility vaccinated a relatively low 89.779 percent of its patients for pneumonia. On a more positive note, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. With just 1.18 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, this nursing home has less hospitalizations than many nursing homes.
Does this page answer your questions about St Mary Center for Rehabilitation & Healthcare?
Another strength of this nursing home is its favorable grade in nursing. We awarded them one of our better scores in that area, with an impressive grade of D. Our nursing rating analyzes a handful of components, but the most important one is the number of nurse hours spent with patients. With just 2.9 hours of nursing care per resident each day, this nursing home's nurse staffing levels were quite a bit below the national average. Unfortunately, this nursing home also had abysmal scores in some of the quality-based metrics to pair with its low nursing hour totals. We looked at the percent of residents suffering pressure ulcers and we were very disappointed. This facility was at roughly 150 percent of the national average in this measure.
Short-term Care Quality
Switching gears to the fourth category, we gave this facility a grade of D in the area of short-term care. This is the facility's least impressive category score. Short-term care grades are typically used to grade a nursing home's performance with rehabilitation. In order to have highly scored rehabilitation services, facilities generally need to feature higher levels of skilled nursing. Skilled nursing includes registered nurses, physical therapists, respiratory therapists and other types of therapists. Unfortunately, we learned that this nursing home offers less registered nurse and physical therapist hours per resident than most other facilities. The final statistic we assessed in this category is the percentage of patients who who were able to eventually return home from the facility. This nursing home struggled quite a bit in this area as well, with just 44.7 percent of its residents returning home. Unfortunately, this was quite a bit below the national average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
St Mary Center for Rehabilitation & Healthcare Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In St Mary Center for Rehabilitation & Healthcare, 7.73% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This statistic is is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients that are suffering from pressure ulcers. We've found that pressure ulcers are a reliable indicator of a facility's nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In St Mary Center for Rehabilitation & Healthcare, 3.42% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of residents that sustained a major fall. Falls resulting in major injury are considered to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care . Major falls are often the result of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In St Mary Center for Rehabilitation & Healthcare, 1.81% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint tells you the percentage of long-term care patients who sustained a urinary tract infection. While a higher rate of these infections may reflect poorly on a nursing home's cleanliness, it can be difficult to compare between facilities due to inconsistent reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In St Mary Center for Rehabilitation & Healthcare, 15.6% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of patients who were given antipsychotic medications. These medications are used for several conditions, including cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In St Mary Center for Rehabilitation & Healthcare, 19.49% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of residents prescribed antianxiety medications. These drugs are generally given to residents suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In St Mary Center for Rehabilitation & Healthcare, 3.38% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents who are showing signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In St Mary Center for Rehabilitation & Healthcare, 89.35% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients that were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In St Mary Center for Rehabilitation & Healthcare, 15.62% Percentage of Patients
This is the percent of patients who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of needing for assistance with activities of daily living could be a sign of the erosion of a patient's health.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In St Mary Center for Rehabilitation & Healthcare, 23.88% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term stay residents that remained mobile levels.
In St Mary Center for Rehabilitation & Healthcare, 1.24 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In St Mary Center for Rehabilitation & Healthcare, 23.88 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In St Mary Center for Rehabilitation & Healthcare, 8.79 Percentage of Patients
Measures the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care. Staying out of the emergency room is one way to assess the well-being of patients during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In St Mary Center for Rehabilitation & Healthcare, 72.17% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percentage of short-term stay residents who saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
Scores for Lansdale, PA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Lansdale, Pennsylvania has 3 other nursing homes
- Lansdale HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.72 miles away100 Medical Campus Drive Lansdale Pennsylvania 19446Voluntary non-profit - Other(215) 368-2100
- Horsham ClinicPsychiatric 5.74 miles away722 East Butler Pike Ambler Pennsylvania 19002Proprietary(215) 643-7800
- Einstein Medical Center MontgomeryAcute Care Hospitals 7.46 miles away559 West Germantown Pike Norristown Pennsylvania 19403Voluntary non-profit - Private(484) 662-1000
- Suburban Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.56 miles away2701 Dekalb Pike Norristown Pennsylvania 19401Voluntary non-profit - Private(215) 278-2000
- Doylestown HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.64 miles away595 West State St Doylestown Pennsylvania 18901Voluntary non-profit - Private(215) 345-2200
- Grand View HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.9 miles away700 Lawn Avenue Sellersville Pennsylvania 18960Voluntary non-profit - Other(215) 453-4615
- Abington Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.45 miles away1200 Old York Road Abington Pennsylvania 19001Voluntary non-profit - Private(215) 481-2000
- Chestnut Hill HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.63 miles away8835 Germantown Ave Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19118Proprietary(215) 248-8200
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Lansdale0.65 miles away120 Medical Campus Drive Lansdale Pennsylvania 19446CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (215) 853-8300
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Abramson1.12 miles away1425 Horsham Rd North Wales Pennsylvania 19454Dialysis Stations: 9 (215) 646-3525
- Davita North Wales Dialysis2.4 miles away1551 S. Valley Forge Road Lansdale Pennsylvania 19446Dialysis Stations: 13 (215) 361-6192
- Fresenius Kidney Care - East Norriton7.2 miles away2925 Dekalb Pike Norristown Pennsylvania 19401CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (610) 279-0776
- Liberty Dialysis - Doylestown7.21 miles away2800 Kelly Road, Suite 110 Warrington Pennsylvania 18976CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (215) 488-7226
- Total Renal Care, Inc.8.38 miles away1700 Markley Street, Suite 122 Norristown Pennsylvania 19401Dialysis Stations: 13 (610) 313-8760
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Montgomery East8.93 miles away1350 Powell Street Norristown Pennsylvania 19401CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (610) 277-7535
- Belmont Court Dialysis - Doylestown Campus9.22 miles away252 Belmont Avenue Doylestown Pennsylvania 18901Dialysis Stations: 22 (215) 348-7333