St Luke Lutheran Community-Portage Lakes is located in Akron, Ohio. This city is one of the most populated metropolitan areas in the nation with has a population of 272,134 people. This nursing home was awarded an overall grade of B, which is a quality rating. You can definitely do much worse than this facility. Fortunately, this place did not have any bad scores in any of the major categories. More information about its category grades is available below.
St Luke Lutheran Community-Portage Lakes
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to being a quality nursing home overall, this nursing home also excelled in the area of inspections, where it received a grade of A. Few nursing homes fared better in that category. These inspection grades weigh several factors, including deficiencies and federal fines. You can find more information about each of these items by reviewing copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. Fortunately, although this place had a few minor dings on its inspection report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are found in categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This tells you CMS did not deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. Keep in mind that deficiency-free inspection reports are uncommon in the industry.
This facility received a very good nursing grade this year as well. It received one of our better scores in that category with a grade of B. Our nursing score is primarily tied to the nursing home's nurse staffing. This nursing home averages 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality measures and this facility excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any nursing home the country in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can often be prevented by providing better nursing care, such as by having a system of turning residents more frequently.
Does this page answer your questions about St Luke Lutheran Community-Portage Lakes?
Long-term Care Quality
The next category we looked at is long-term care, where this nursing home was given a grade of B- in this area. If you are looking for services other than rehabilitation, you should take a close look at each nursing home's long-term care grades. One of the factors we considered after nurse's aid hours is vaccines. Fortunately, this facility administered the pneumonia vaccination to 100 percent of its residents. Lastly, this place was also able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had only 0 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Short-term Care Quality
Switching gears to the next category, this facility received a decent short-term care score of C. In the area of short-term care, we strive to evaluate measures of a facility's rehabilitation. We assess a facility's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses and physical and occupational therapists. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not every facility employs these types of nurses. However, according to the data they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Lastly, we looked at the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 4.3 percent of this facility's patients returned home. At most facilities, closer to half of their patients are able to return home so this figure is below average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
St Luke Lutheran Community-Portage Lakes Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In St Luke Lutheran Community-Portage Lakes, 7.79% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of patients who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin caused by remaining in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In St Luke Lutheran Community-Portage Lakes, 3.69% of Patients had Serious Falls
This statistic indicates the percentage of long-term care residents that experienced a fall leading to serious injury. This is one of the statistics we use in determining nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In St Luke Lutheran Community-Portage Lakes, 1.8% of Patients had UTIs
This metric measures the percentage of long-term residents which experienced a urinary tract infection. UTI's may be an indication of worse hygiene protocols. However, this datapoint could also be skewed for some facilities due to inconsistent reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In St Luke Lutheran Community-Portage Lakes, 13.22% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents given antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic drugs are prescribed to residents for many medical conditions, including Alzheimer's or other dementias. Sadly, in limited situations, excessive reliance on these medications may mean that a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In St Luke Lutheran Community-Portage Lakes, 22.35% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of patients who were given antianxiety drugs. These medications are given to patients suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In St Luke Lutheran Community-Portage Lakes, 20% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents demonstrating depressive symptoms. Some experts would argue this is a measure of resident quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In St Luke Lutheran Community-Portage Lakes, 90.19% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients that were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for nursing home patients, making these types of vaccines critical to patient care.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In St Luke Lutheran Community-Portage Lakes, 15.17% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In St Luke Lutheran Community-Portage Lakes, 18.5% Percentage of Residents
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients who retained mobility levels.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In St Luke Lutheran Community-Portage Lakes, 18.5 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Scores for Akron, OH
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Akron, Ohio has 16 other nursing homes
- Akron General Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.93 miles away1 Akron General Avenue Akron Ohio 44307Voluntary non-profit - Private(330) 344-6000
- Summa Health SystemAcute Care Hospitals 8.31 miles away525 East Market Street Akron Ohio 44309Voluntary non-profit - Private(330) 375-3000
- Summa Western Reserve HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.89 miles away1900 23rd Street Cuyahoga Falls Ohio 44223Voluntary non-profit - Other(330) 971-7000
- Mercy Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 13.04 miles away1320 Mercy Drive Nw Canton Ohio 44708Voluntary non-profit - Private(330) 489-1080
- Aultman HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.74 miles away2600 Sixth Street Sw Canton Ohio 44710Voluntary non-profit - Other(330) 363-6352
- Aultman Orrville HospitalCritical Access Hospitals 14.65 miles away832 South Main Street Orrville Ohio 44667Voluntary non-profit - Private(330) 682-3010
- Medina HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 19.22 miles away1000 East Washington Street Medina Ohio 44256Voluntary non-profit - Private(330) 725-1000
- Davita - Coventry Dialysis3.31 miles away3235 Manchester Road, Suite 9 Akron Ohio 44319Dialysis Stations: 13 (330) 645-9453
- Fmc - Akron Canton Kidney Center3.85 miles away1565 Corporate Woods Pkwy Uniontown Ohio 44685Dialysis Stations: 25 (330) 896-6311
- Kamaka Dialysis LLC3.95 miles away1587 Boettler Rd Suite 130 Uniontown Ohio 44685Dialysis Stations: 14 (330) 899-0035
- Us Renal Care Barberton Dialysis3.97 miles away33 3rd Street Se Suite 100 Barberton Ohio 44203CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 13 (330) 753-7280
- Us Renal Care Norton Home Therapies6.56 miles away3300 Greenwich Road Suite 13 Barberton Ohio 44203Dialysis Stations: 5 (330) 825-2354
- Dialysis Care Center Akron LLC7.18 miles away1505 South Hawkins Avenue Akron Ohio 44320Dialysis Stations: 11 (330) 612-0540
- Davita - Summit Renal Care8.02 miles away73 Massillon Road Akron Ohio 44312Dialysis Stations: 15 (330) 733-1861
- Fmc - Akron8.17 miles away345 Bishop Street Akron Ohio 44307Dialysis Stations: 30 (330) 376-4905