St Luke Lutheran Community-Portage Lakes is located in Akron, Ohio. This city is one of the most populated metropolitan areas in the nation with has a population of 272,134 people. This nursing home received an A- overall, which is an elite rating. You flat out can't do much better than this place. This place's impressive profile was highlighted by its nursing rating, which you can find in the next paragraph.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
St Luke Lutheran Community-Portage Lakes
- Nursing Home
- Assisted Living
Updated Nov 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Akron senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Aquatic Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
One of the many reasons this turned out to be a great nursing home is that it received an A+ nursing grade. This is simply as good as it gets in this category. The nursing grade includes several factors. The most important variable is the quantity of hours nurses spent with patients. This facility provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This nursing home performed very well in terms of minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Adding to this facility's impressive resume, we gave this nursing home an A for our inspections rating. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in computing these inspection scores. One key factor is deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of deficiencies is usually more important than the number of deficiencies, as some are quite minor. This facility was assessed 5 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to see that none were considered to be severe. This indicates that CMS didn't deem any of the deficiencies to create an imminent threat to resident safety or health. Remember that deficiency-free inspections are rare in the industry.
Does this page answer your questions about St Luke Lutheran Community-Portage Lakes?
Short-term Care Quality
In addition, this facility also was given favorable short-term care grades this year. In fact, we gave them one of our stronger scores in that area, with a grade of B+. Short-term care grades are often used to measure a nursing home's rehabilitation services To provide quality rehabilitation services, nursing homes generally must provide better levels of skilled nursing. These types of services include registered nurses, physical therapists, speech therapists and other licensed professionals. Fortunately, it looks like this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not every nursing home employs these skilled professionals. However, based on the data this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The final statistic we considered in this category is the percentage of patients who eventually returned home from the facility. We found that 0 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home as opposed to remaining at the facility on a permanent basis.
Long-term Care Quality
The final area we scored is long-term care, in which this nursing home was awarded a B-. This actually proved to be this nursing home's weakest area. This is still nothing to be ashamed of. In calculating these long-term care ratings, we analyze the facility's personal care services. One of the data points we considered on top of nurse's aid hours is vaccinations. Thankfully, this facility administered the pneumonia vaccine to 98.05825 percent of its patients. This place also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
St Luke Lutheran Community-Portage Lakes Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In St Luke Lutheran Community-Portage Lakes, 1.25% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of patients who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin caused by remaining in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In St Luke Lutheran Community-Portage Lakes, 0% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of patients who have had a fall which resulted in major injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In St Luke Lutheran Community-Portage Lakes, 0% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of patients that suffered from a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are often associated with facilities with lower levels of hygiene. Better hygiene protocols minimizes the number likelihood of residents sustaining infections. Note that this statistic is sometimes skewed by the fact that facilities have varying reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In St Luke Lutheran Community-Portage Lakes, 15.79% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term care residents which are administered antipsychotic medication. Excessive reliance on these medications may suggest that a facility is using these medications to subdue residents in scenarios where such medications aren't medically indicated. Nevertheless, some nursing homes need to rely on these drugs due to having more residents with cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In St Luke Lutheran Community-Portage Lakes, 30% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of residents given antianxiety drugs. These medications are generally given to patients suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In St Luke Lutheran Community-Portage Lakes, 1.98% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients demonstrating depressive symptoms. Many in the industry believe that this is a reasonable measure of quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In St Luke Lutheran Community-Portage Lakes, 99.03% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients that have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In St Luke Lutheran Community-Portage Lakes, 2.47% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In St Luke Lutheran Community-Portage Lakes, 7.62% of Residents
This metric measures the percentage of long-term patients that remained mobile levels.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In St Luke Lutheran Community-Portage Lakes, 7.62% of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric measures the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term resident care.
Scores for Akron, OH
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Akron, Ohio has 16 other nursing homes
- Akron General Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.93 miles away1 Akron General Avenue Akron Ohio 44307Voluntary non-profit - Private(330) 344-6000
- Summa Health SystemAcute Care Hospitals 8.31 miles away525 East Market Street Akron Ohio 44309Voluntary non-profit - Private(330) 375-3000
- Summa Western Reserve HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.89 miles away1900 23rd Street Cuyahoga Falls Ohio 44223Voluntary non-profit - Other(330) 971-7000
- Mercy Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 13.04 miles away1320 Mercy Drive Nw Canton Ohio 44708Voluntary non-profit - Private(330) 489-1080
- Aultman HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.74 miles away2600 Sixth Street Sw Canton Ohio 44710Voluntary non-profit - Other(330) 363-6352
- Aultman Orrville HospitalCritical Access Hospitals 14.65 miles away832 South Main Street Orrville Ohio 44667Voluntary non-profit - Private(330) 682-3010
- Medina HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 19.22 miles away1000 East Washington Street Medina Ohio 44256Voluntary non-profit - Private(330) 725-1000
- Davita - Coventry Dialysis3.31 miles away3235 Manchester Road, Suite 9 Akron Ohio 44319Dialysis Stations: 13 (330) 645-9453
- Fmc - Akron Canton Kidney Center3.85 miles away1565 Corporate Woods Pkwy Uniontown Ohio 44685Dialysis Stations: 25 (330) 896-6311
- Kamaka Dialysis LLC3.95 miles away1587 Boettler Rd Suite 130 Uniontown Ohio 44685Dialysis Stations: 14 (330) 899-0035
- Us Renal Care Barberton Dialysis3.97 miles away33 3rd Street Se Suite 100 Barberton Ohio 44203CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 13 (330) 753-7280
- Us Renal Care Norton Home Therapies6.56 miles away3300 Greenwich Road Suite 13 Barberton Ohio 44203Dialysis Stations: 5 (330) 825-2354
- Dialysis Care Center Akron LLC7.18 miles away1505 South Hawkins Avenue Akron Ohio 44320Dialysis Stations: 11 (330) 612-0540
- Davita - Summit Renal Care8.02 miles away73 Massillon Road Akron Ohio 44312Dialysis Stations: 15 (330) 733-1861
- Fmc - Akron8.17 miles away345 Bishop Street Akron Ohio 44307Dialysis Stations: 30 (330) 376-4905