St. Joseph's Nursing Home is located in Catonsville, Maryland, a city with a population of 47,577 people. Featuring an overall rating of B+, this nursing home wound up being decidedly better than the average nursing home in Catonsville. You can certainly do much worse than this place. This place is better in some categories than others, but it didn't have any weak links in any of our major categories discussed below. More information about these categories can be found below.
St. Joseph's Nursing Home
Updated May 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
1222 Tugwell Drive,
Catonsville MD 21228
95.68% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
One of the many reasons this turned out to be a quality nursing home is that it received an A+ inspection grade. This is simply as good as it gets in this critical category. Inspection grades are based on several pieces of information located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Nursing homes that receive favorable grades in this area have few deficiencies on their reports. Most importantly, these places generally do not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. Fortunately, although this place had some minor dings on its report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are those found in categories G through L. This means the government inspectors did not deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
Contributing to this nursing home's list of accomplishments, it also received a very favorable long-term care grade. We awarded them a dominant strong of A- in this category. Long-term care scores of this caliber generally require both around the clock care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine healthcare services. In addition to considering the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility administered the vaccine to 99.37888 percent of its patients, which is very impressive. Pneumonia can be a life or death health condition for nursing home patients so we like it when a nursing home does not take any chances. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about St. Joseph's Nursing Home?
Adding to its profile, this facility also earned a grade of B+ for its nursing rating. This is a well above average score in this category. Our nursing category weighs quite a few components, most of which are tied to nursing hours. This nursing home provides 3.7 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at some quality-based measures in this category. This nursing home fared well in some of the quality measures we looked at. By way of illustration, in terms of the percentage of its residents suffering from pressure ulcers, this place performed better than the national average. This is generally an indicator that a nursing home has reliable quality controls in place. Pressure ulcers can often be avoided with better nursing care.
Short-term Care Quality
The next area we graded was short-term care. In this category, we gave this nursing home an acceptable grade of B-. This ended up being this facility's weakest category. In determining our short-term care scores, we scrutinize a facility's levels of skilled nursing, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists occupational therapists and other highly trained professionals. This area is frequently a reliable assessment of a nursing home's rehabilitation. Fortunately, it appear that this facility employs registered nurses. Not every nursing home employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, based on the information they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The last metric we looked at in this category is the number of residents who were able to leave the facility and return home. We discovered that just 0 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home, which is below average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
St. Joseph's Nursing Home Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In St. Joseph's Nursing Home, 10.37% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of residents that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, also referred to as bed sores, are often caused by residents not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In St. Joseph's Nursing Home, 2.84% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure tells you the percentage of long-term patients who sustained falls resulting in major injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but excessive numbers of falls may be an indication of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In St. Joseph's Nursing Home, 2.06% of Patients had UTIs
This metric indicates the percentage of long-term patients who experienced a UTI. While a higher rate of these infections could reflect poorly on a facility's nursing care, it is difficult to compare between facilities due to differing reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In St. Joseph's Nursing Home, 13.07% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of residents given antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic drugs are given to residents for many conditions, such as cognitive disorders. Sadly, in limited cases, increased usage of these drugs may mean a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In St. Joseph's Nursing Home, 14.7% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term care patients who are administered antianxiety medication. These drugs are commonly used to treat patients experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In St. Joseph's Nursing Home, 9.93% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients showing depressive symptoms. High levels of depression could be an indicator a lower level of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In St. Joseph's Nursing Home, 92.59% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients that were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In St. Joseph's Nursing Home, 19.84% Percentage of Patients
This is the percent of residents who required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In St. Joseph's Nursing Home, 30.1% Percentage of Residents
This is the percent of residents who remained mobile levels over time. Retaining mobility is usually a good sign for residents' health.
In St. Joseph's Nursing Home, 0.99 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric measures the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. Avoiding the hospital is key to maintaining the physical health of residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In St. Joseph's Nursing Home, 30.1 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term resident care. Keeping residents out of the hospital during rehabilitation is key to restoring the health of patients.
Scores for Catonsville, MD
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Catonsville, Maryland has 8 other nursing homes
- Saint Agnes HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.71 miles away900 Caton Avenue Baltimore Maryland 21229Voluntary non-profit - Church(410) 368-2101
- Bon Secours HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.2 miles away2000 W Baltimore Street Baltimore Maryland 21223Voluntary non-profit - Private(410) 362-3000
- University of Maryland Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.43 miles away22 South Greene Street Baltimore Maryland 21201Voluntary non-profit - Private(410) 328-8667
- University of Md Medical Center Midtown CampusAcute Care Hospitals 6.92 miles away827 Linden Avenue Baltimore Maryland 21201Voluntary non-profit - Other(410) 225-8996
- Mercy Medical Center IncAcute Care Hospitals 7.06 miles away301 Saint Paul Place Baltimore Maryland 21202Voluntary non-profit - Church(410) 332-9237
- Northwest Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.39 miles away5401 Old Court Road Randallstown Maryland 21133Voluntary non-profit - Private(410) 521-2200
- Sinai Hospital of BaltimoreAcute Care Hospitals 7.89 miles away2401 West Belvedere Avenue Baltimore Maryland 21215Voluntary non-profit - Private(410) 601-5131
- Kennedy Krieger InstituteChildrens 8.18 miles away707 North Broadway Baltimore Maryland 21205Voluntary non-profit - Private(443) 923-9301
- Davita - Catonsville North Dialysis2.49 miles away5401 Baltimore National Pike Baltimore Maryland 21229Dialysis Stations: 21 (410) 869-4618
- Davita - Catonsville2.65 miles away1581 Sulphur Spring Rd Ste 112 Halethorpe Maryland 21227CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (410) 242-7766
- Us Renal Care - West Baltimore3.16 miles away22 S Athol Ave Baltimore Maryland 21229Dialysis Stations: 15 (410) 947-3227
- Concerto Maryland, LLC3.74 miles away1531 S Edgewood St Suite 302 Halethorpe Maryland 21227Dialysis Stations: 2 (443) 364-4362
- Kidney Home Center4.47 miles away2270 Rolling Run Drive Suite 600 Windsor Mill Maryland 21244Dialysis Stations: 21 (410) 265-0618
- Davita-Ellicott Kidney Center LLC4.89 miles away3000 N Ridge Rd Ellicott City Maryland 21043Dialysis Stations: 7 (410) 465-0273
- Bon Secours Hospital5.24 miles awayRenal Dialysis Unit 2000 W Baltimore Street Baltimore Maryland 21223CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 35 (410) 362-3094
- Ellicott City Dialysis Center LLC5.27 miles away3419 Plum Tree Drive Suites 103-106 Ellicott City Maryland 21042CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (410) 750-8426