St Joseph's Home for Elderly is a small nursing home located in Totowa, New Jersey. This nursing home is an A+ rated facility, which is our very best rating. Based on our analysis, this facility is just about as as good as it gets. One of the best aspects of this facility's exemplary profile is its inspection rating. Inspection grades are discussed in the next paragraph.
St Joseph's Home for Elderly
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Best Nursing Home in New Jersey Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
To go along with its strong overall grade, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A+ for our inspections rating. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in calculating these inspection ratings. One key factor is health deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of the deficiencies is arguably more important than the quantity of deficiencies, as some of these are quite insignificant. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
This facility also received an A+ for its long-term care grade. Facilities that do well in this category typically provide patients with more supervision and stay on top of routine healthcare services. On top of assessing the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we analyzed the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility vaccinated 97.674416 percent of its patients. Vaccines are critical to keeping patients out of the hospital. Lastly, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about St Joseph's Home for Elderly?
We also awarded this nursing home a grade of A+ for its nursing grade. There are a variety of datapoints included in this category. Many of these factors relate to the quantity of nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This facility performed very well in the area of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Short-term Care Quality
In the last category we rated, this facility was awarded a very favorable grade of A in our short-term care category. With this score, the facility wrapped up a straight A report card. Our short-term care scores are crucial for residents in need of rehabilitation. Rehabilitation generally mandates additional skilled nursing services. This includes a wide range of services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, as well as other forms of therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not all facilities employs these skilled professionals. However, according to the data they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The last metric we assessed in this category is the percentage of patients that ultimately returned home from the facility. We found that 0 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home as opposed to remaining at the facility on a permanent basis.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
St Joseph's Home for Elderly Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In St Joseph's Home for Elderly, 9.28% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of residents that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, also called bed sores, are often the result of residents not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In St Joseph's Home for Elderly, 2.53% of Patients had Serious Falls
This statistic is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents which experienced falls leading to major injury. This is one of the statistics we use in determining nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In St Joseph's Home for Elderly, 1.65% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of residents who suffered from a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are routinely caused by poor nursing care. Additional nurse staffing limits the percentage of residents in a nursing home who suffer from UTI's. Keep in mind that this metric is sometimes skewed by the fact that facilities have different reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In St Joseph's Home for Elderly, 10.6% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of residents who were given antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic medications are prescribed to patients for a variety of medical conditions, such as cognitive disorders. Unfortunately, in limited situations, increased usage of these drugs may mean that a facility is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In St Joseph's Home for Elderly, 17.42% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric gauges the percent of long-term stay residents that were administered antianxiety drugs. These drugs are prescribed to patients suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In St Joseph's Home for Elderly, 5.95% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents who are demonstrating signs of depression. Some experts argue this is a reliable measure of resident quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In St Joseph's Home for Elderly, 91.97% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients who were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In St Joseph's Home for Elderly, 10.68% Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as taking medications and continence. Many in the industry would argue that this is a reasonable measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In St Joseph's Home for Elderly, 12.9% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percent of residents who retained mobility levels over time. Preserving mobility is usually a good sign for residents' health.
In St Joseph's Home for Elderly, 1.68 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of care. There is a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and the quality of long-term care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In St Joseph's Home for Elderly, 12.9 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Avoiding the hospital during rehabilitation is important to restoring the physical well-being of patients.
- St Joseph's University Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.24 miles away703 Main St Paterson New Jersey 07503Voluntary non-profit - Church(973) 754-2010
- Essex County Hospital CenterPsychiatric 4.69 miles away204 Grove Avenue Cedar Grove New Jersey 07009Government - Local(973) 571-2801
- St Mary's General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.31 miles away350 Boulevard Passaic New Jersey 07055Proprietary(973) 365-4300
- Chilton Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.02 miles away97 West Parkway Pompton Plains New Jersey 07444Voluntary non-profit - Private(973) 831-5000
- Valley HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.3 miles away223 N Van Dien Avenue Ridgewood New Jersey 07450Voluntary non-profit - Private(201) 447-8000
- Hackensack University Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.96 miles away30 Prospect Ave Hackensack New Jersey 07601Voluntary non-profit - Private(551) 996-2000
- Bergen New Bridge Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.13 miles away230 East Ridgewood Ave Paramus New Jersey 07652Government - Local(201) 967-4000
- Holy Name Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.46 miles away718 Teaneck Rd Teaneck New Jersey 07666Voluntary non-profit - Private(201) 833-3000
- Woodland Park Dialysis Center1.36 miles away1225 Mcbride Ave Suite 100 Little Falls New Jersey 07424CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (973) 890-2394
- St. Joseph's Paterson Dialysis2.24 miles away11 Getty Avenue 275 Hospital Plaza Paterson New Jersey 07503CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 60 (973) 684-3490
- St. Joseph's Sjrmc Dialysis2.27 miles away703 Main Street r2n Paterson New Jersey 07503Dialysis Stations: 8 (973) 754-3570
- St. Joseph's Wayne Dialysis2.85 miles away57 Willowbrook Blvd Wayne New Jersey 07470Dialysis Stations: 20 (973) 890-2792
- Davita North Haledon Dialysis2.93 miles away953 Belmont Avenue Haledon New Jersey 07508Dialysis Stations: 19 (973) 427-4675
- Ara Great Falls Dialysis, LLC3.14 miles away498 East 30th Street Paterson New Jersey 07504CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (973) 569-0500
- Davita East Paterson3.24 miles away680 Broadway Ste 103 Paterson New Jersey 07514CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (973) 357-8079
- Ara Clifton Dialysis Center4.57 miles away251 Clifton Avenue Unit A Clifton New Jersey 07011Dialysis Stations: 13 (973) 546-3750