St Joseph Residence is a very-small non-profit nursing home located in Manchester, New Hampshire. Sporting an overall score of A, this is without a doubt a top-shelf nursing home. Based on our assessment, this place is really as good as it gets. Headlining this facility's remarkable profile is its inspection grade, which you can find in the next section.
St Joseph Residence
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- Non profit - Church related
- Occupational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
One of the many reasons this turned out to be a quality nursing home is that it received an A+ in our inspections category. This is simply as good as it gets in this category. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in determining these inspection scores. One critical factor is deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of deficiencies is arguably more meaningful than the number of deficiencies, as some of these can be relatively minor. This nursing home was hit with 2 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none of the deficiencies were considered to be major deficiencies. This indicates that the inspectors did not consider any of these deficiencies to cause an immediate risk to patient safety or health. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
Another reason we rated this nursing home so favorably is that it was given an A+ long-term care score. This is just about as elite as it gets in this area. When nursing homes receive a score in this range in this category it generally means it has plenty of staff and is a quality place to live on a permanent basis. In addition to looking at the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we looked at the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility provided the vaccine to 100 percent of its residents, which is much higher than the majority of nursing homes. Lastly, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. It had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about St Joseph Residence?
Adding to its strong resume, this facility also received an excellent nursing score, with a grade of A. The nursing grade assesses quite a few subcategories, but the main consideration is the quantity of nurse hours per patient per week. This nursing home provides 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality measures and this nursing home excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any nursing home the nation in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can typically be prevented by offering better nursing care, such as having a protocol of moving a resident at least once a day.
Short-term Care Quality
Switching gears to our last category, this nursing home also performed admirably in our short-term care category. In fact, we awarded it a B+ in this area. This finalized a very impressive report card. With our short-term care rating, we seek to create a valuable gauge for rehabilitation services. In this process, we analyze the facility's level of highly-skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as respiratory therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this facility employs registered nurses. Not all facilities employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, based on the data they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Finally, we considered the number of patients who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 0 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
St Joseph Residence Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In St Joseph Residence, 6.17% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This datapoint gauges the percentage of long-term stay patients who suffered from new or worsened pressure ulcers or bed sores. We factor in this statistic in computing both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In St Joseph Residence, 5.18% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric is an indication of the percent of long-term care patients who suffered a fall which resulted in severe injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but high rates of major falls may be a sign of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In St Joseph Residence, 3.06% of Patients had UTIs
This statistic measures the percentage of long-term care patients which had UTI's. UTI's could be an indicator of worse hygiene protocols. Nevertheless, this statistic can also be misleading for certain facilities due to varying reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In St Joseph Residence, 16.95% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents given antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic drugs are prescribed to patients for many medical conditions, including dementia. Sadly, in some cases, excessive reliance on these medications may indicate that a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In St Joseph Residence, 16.72% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure is an indication of the percentage of long-term patients receiving antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In St Joseph Residence, 5.54% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents showing symptoms of depression. Some believe that this is a reasonable measure of quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In St Joseph Residence, 95.74% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients who were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In St Joseph Residence, 19.68% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In St Joseph Residence, 24.67% Percentage of Residents
This is the percentage of patients that retained mobility levels over time. Optimizing mobility is often a good sign for residents' well-being.
In St Joseph Residence, 1.18 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In St Joseph Residence, 24.67 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Scores for Manchester, NH
- Overall Rating has a grade of A
- Nurse Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of A
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-plus
Looking for more options? Manchester, New Hampshire has 8 other nursing homes
- Elliot HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.58 miles away1 Elliot Way Manchester New Hampshire 03103Voluntary non-profit - Private(603) 669-5300
- Catholic Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2 miles away100 Mcgregor Street Manchester New Hampshire 03102Voluntary non-profit - Private(603) 668-3545
- Parkland Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.84 miles away1 Parkland Drive Derry New Hampshire 03038Proprietary(603) 421-2100
- New Hampshire Hosp-Psych UnitPsychiatric 15.11 miles away36 Clinton Street Concord New Hampshire 03301Government - State(603) 271-5300
- Concord HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.66 miles away250 Pleasant St Concord New Hampshire 03301Voluntary non-profit - Private(603) 225-2711
- Southern Nh Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 16.53 miles away8 Prospect Street Nashua New Hampshire 03060Voluntary non-profit - Private(603) 577-2000
- St Joseph HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 17.04 miles away172 Kinsley St Nashua New Hampshire 03060Voluntary non-profit - Other(603) 882-3000
- Davita Manchester Dialysis1.17 miles away903 Hanover Street Manchester New Hampshire 03104Dialysis Stations: 10 (603) 621-4903
- Manchester Kidney Center1.82 miles away1750 Elm Street Suite 100 Manchester New Hampshire 03103CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (603) 647-4042
- Bedford Dialysis Davita4.35 miles away15 Constitution Dr, Suite 1c Bedford New Hampshire 03110Dialysis Stations: 13 (603) 471-1904
- Davita Derry Dialysis7.57 miles away1 Action Blvd suite2 Londonderry New Hampshire 03053Dialysis Stations: 13 (603) 421-9724
- Fresenius Medical Care Londonderry7.57 miles away1f Common Drive Londonderry New Hampshire 03053Dialysis Stations: 13 (603) 434-4517
- Bio-Medical Applications of New Hampshire, Inc.15.05 miles away20 Cotton Road Suite 200 Nashua New Hampshire 03063Dialysis Stations: 21 (603) 577-4547
- Fresenius Medical Care Southern Nh Dialysis Center15.11 miles away586 Nashua St Unit #20 Milford New Hampshire 03055Dialysis Stations: 13 (603) 672-6678
- New Hampshire Kidney Center (Fmc)15.89 miles away248 Pleasant Street Pillsbury Bldg., g400 Concord New Hampshire 03301CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (603) 224-9996