St Joseph Residence is a very-small non-profit nursing home located in Manchester, New Hampshire. Sporting an overall score of A+, this nursing home is without a doubt a world class nursing home. Based on our ratings, this place is just about as as good as it gets. Headlining this nursing home's stellar report card is its inspection rating, which is addressed in the next section.
St Joseph Residence
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
495 Mammoth Rd,
Manchester NH 03104
94.09% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- Non profit - Church related
- Occupational Therapy
Top Nursing Home in New Hampshire Awards 2019
Best Nursing Home in Manchester, New Hampshire Awards 2019
Best Nursing Home in New Hampshire Awards 2020
Top Nursing Home in New Hampshire Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
One of the reasons this place ended up being a great nursing home is that it earned an A+ inspection grade. This is as good as it gets in this critical category. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in calculating these inspection ratings. One critical factor is deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of these deficiencies is usually more important than the number of deficiencies, as some of these are quite minor. This place was hit with 2 deficiencies on its inspection report, but fortunately none of the deficiencies were considered to be severe. This indicates that CMS didn't consider any of these deficiencies to cause an immediate risk to patient safety or health. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
Another reason we rated this facility so favorably is that it was given an A+ long-term care score. This is just about as elite as it gets in this category. Facilities that do well in long-term care typically are well-staffed and provide extensive hands on care to residents. In addition to looking at the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we looked at the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility provided the vaccine to 100 percent of its residents, which is what we like to see. Pneumonia is often a life threatening ailment for nursing home patients so we strongly prefer when a facility does not leave its residents vulnerable. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about St Joseph Residence?
This nursing home also received a very impressive nursing grade. In that area, we awarded this facility a grade of A. Our nursing rating assesses a handful of datapoints, but the main consideration is the level of nurse hours per patient per week. This facility provided 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This place performed very well when it comes to avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Short-term Care Quality
In the final category we graded, this nursing home was awarded a very favorable grade of A- in our short-term care category. With this grade, the nursing home finished off a straight A profile. Our short-term care scores are likely more meaningful for folks needing rehabilitation from their nursing home. Rehabilitation usually utilizes higher levels of skilled nursing services. This means not merely nursing services, but also physical and speech therapy, as well as other types of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this facility employs registered nurses. Not every nursing home employs these skilled professionals. However, based on the information they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The last measure we assessed in this area is the number of patients who were able to leave the facility and return home. We discovered that 0 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
St Joseph Residence Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In St Joseph Residence, 6.17% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of patients who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage due to staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In St Joseph Residence, 5.16% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure gauges the percent of long-term residents which have had falls resulting in serious injury. This is one of the statistics we use in determining nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In St Joseph Residence, 2.81% of Patients had UTIs
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents which suffered from UTI's. While more of these infections may reflect poorly on a nursing home's hygiene protocols, it is problematic to compare different facilities due to differing reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In St Joseph Residence, 17.01% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This datapoint indicates the percentage of long-term residents taking antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications serve an important medical purpose, it is important to ensure these drugs are being used only where medically required. In some cases, increased usage of these drugs may mean a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In St Joseph Residence, 16.61% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of patients given antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety medications are administered to residents experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In St Joseph Residence, 5.77% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term stay patients demonstrating signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In St Joseph Residence, 95.49% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients who were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for seniors, making these vaccines important for resident well-being.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In St Joseph Residence, 18.58% Percentage of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term stay residents that required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as moving around and taking a bath.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In St Joseph Residence, 22.17% Percentage of Residents
This is the percent of patients that were able to retain mobility over time. Preserving mobility is often a good sign for residents' health.
In St Joseph Residence, 1.27 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care. Avoiding the hospital is important to the physical health of nursing home residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In St Joseph Residence, 22.17 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care. There is typically a correlation between staying out of the hospital and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Scores for Manchester, NH
- Overall Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of A
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-plus
Looking for more options? Manchester, New Hampshire has 8 other nursing homes
- Elliot HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.58 miles away1 Elliot Way Manchester New Hampshire 03103Voluntary non-profit - Private(603) 669-5300
- Catholic Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2 miles away100 Mcgregor Street Manchester New Hampshire 03102Voluntary non-profit - Private(603) 668-3545
- Parkland Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.84 miles away1 Parkland Drive Derry New Hampshire 03038Proprietary(603) 421-2100
- New Hampshire Hosp-Psych UnitPsychiatric 15.11 miles away36 Clinton Street Concord New Hampshire 03301Government - State(603) 271-5300
- Concord HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.66 miles away250 Pleasant St Concord New Hampshire 03301Voluntary non-profit - Private(603) 225-2711
- Southern Nh Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 16.53 miles away8 Prospect Street Nashua New Hampshire 03060Voluntary non-profit - Private(603) 577-2000
- St Joseph HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 17.04 miles away172 Kinsley St Nashua New Hampshire 03060Voluntary non-profit - Other(603) 882-3000
- Davita Manchester Dialysis1.17 miles away903 Hanover Street Manchester New Hampshire 03104Dialysis Stations: 10 (603) 621-4903
- Manchester Kidney Center1.82 miles away1750 Elm Street Suite 100 Manchester New Hampshire 03103CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (603) 647-4042
- Bedford Dialysis Davita4.35 miles away15 Constitution Dr, Suite 1c Bedford New Hampshire 03110Dialysis Stations: 13 (603) 471-1904
- Davita Derry Dialysis7.57 miles away1 Action Blvd suite2 Londonderry New Hampshire 03053Dialysis Stations: 13 (603) 421-9724
- Fresenius Medical Care Londonderry7.57 miles away1f Common Drive Londonderry New Hampshire 03053Dialysis Stations: 13 (603) 434-4517
- Bio-Medical Applications of New Hampshire, Inc.15.05 miles away20 Cotton Road Suite 200 Nashua New Hampshire 03063Dialysis Stations: 21 (603) 577-4547
- Fresenius Medical Care Southern Nh Dialysis Center15.11 miles away586 Nashua St Unit #20 Milford New Hampshire 03055Dialysis Stations: 13 (603) 672-6678
- New Hampshire Kidney Center (Fmc)15.89 miles away248 Pleasant Street Pillsbury Bldg., g400 Concord New Hampshire 03301CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (603) 224-9996