St Joseph Medical Center is a very-small hospital-based nursing home located in Houston, Texas. It looks like this nursing home is one of the better nursing homes we looked at. A grade of this caliber requires very strong marks across the board. We simply can not say enough good things about this place. This nursing home's strong report card was highlighted by its short-term care grade, which we will address in the next section.
St Joseph Medical Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Nov 1, 2018 by Nick Reese
1401 St Joseph Parkway,
Houston TX 77002
Note: Data for St Joseph Medical Center has not been updated recently. This page shows historical performance which may not be representitive of current service levels.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- No Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- No Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Partnership
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Lymphedema Care
- Radiation Therapy
Short-term Care Quality
On top of receiving a great overall grade, this nursing home also earned an excellent short-term care score, with a grade of A. Our short-term care grades are presumably more critical for residents in need of rehabilitation from their nursing home. Rehabilitation generally requires additional highly-skilled nursing services. This means not just nursing, but also physical and occupational therapy, as well as other variations of therapy. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear that this nursing home provided information on registered nurse or physical therapist staffing. The last measure we assessed in this area is the number of patients who eventually returned home from the nursing home. We found that 7.7 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home as opposed to remaining at the nursing home on a permanent basis.
We also want to emphasize this facility's nearly flawless government inspections recently. We awarded them an B+ in this category. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in computing these inspection scores. One of those factors is deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of the deficiencies is arguably more important than the quantity of deficiencies, as some are quite minor. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Does this page answer your questions about St Joseph Medical Center?
Adding to its profile, this facility also earned a grade of B+ for its nursing rating. This is a well above average score in this category. The nursing category assesses a handful of factors, most of which are tied to quantities of nurse staffing. This nursing home averages 0 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality-based metrics and this place excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any nursing home the country in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can often be avoided by providing better nursing care, such as by employing a protocol of turning patients more often.
Long-term Care Quality
In the last area, we gave this nursing home a grade of B+ for its long-term care grade. This topped off a very strong profile. For long-term care residents, the facility's primary objective is to keep patients as healthy and safe as possible. This is different than skilled nursing or short-term care where the goal is to rehabilitate residents. Once we assessed the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we turned to the facility's vaccination data. Unfortunately, it does not appear that this facility submitted data regarding vaccinations. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. It had only 0 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
St Joseph Medical Center Quality Metrics
Frequency Of ER Visits
In St Joseph Medical Center, 0 ER visits per 1,000 resident days
Measures the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of long-term care. Staying out of the emergency room is one way to assess long-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In St Joseph Medical Center, 11.4 Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care. Staying out of the emergency room is one way to gauge short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In St Joseph Medical Center, 66.86% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percentage of short-term care residents who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. High levels of autonomy with activities of daily living generally correlates with successful rehabilitation services.
Scores for Houston, TX
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Houston, Texas has 59 other nursing homes
- St Joseph Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.03 miles away1401 St. Joseph Parkway Houston Texas 77002Proprietary(713) 757-1000
- Park Plaza HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.22 miles away1313 Hermann Dr Houston Texas 77004Proprietary(713) 527-5019
- Memorial Hermann Texas Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.05 miles away6411 Fannin Houston Texas 77030Voluntary non-profit - Private(713) 704-3700
- Houston Methodist HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.32 miles away6565 Fannin Houston Texas 77030Voluntary non-profit - Private(713) 790-2221
- Texas Childrens HospChildrens 3.47 miles away6621 Fannin Street Houston Texas 77030Voluntary non-profit - Private(832) 824-1000
- Chi St Luke's Health Baylor College of Medicine MeAcute Care Hospitals 3.79 miles away7200 Cambridge, 11th Floor Houston Texas 77030Voluntary non-profit - Church(832) 355-1000
- Texas Orthopedic HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.23 miles away7401 South Main Street Houston Texas 77030Voluntary non-profit - Other(713) 799-8600
- Womans Hospital of Texas,TheAcute Care Hospitals 4.35 miles away7600 Fannin Houston Texas 77054Proprietary(713) 790-1234
- Us Renal Care Webster Dialysis0.12 miles away1914 Caroline Street Houston Texas 77002CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (713) 951-9328
- Seasons Dialysis0.16 miles away2000 Crawford Street Suite 777 Houston Texas 77002Dialysis Stations: 1 (713) 904-1756
- Downtown Houston Dialysis Center0.28 miles away2207 Crawford St Houston Texas 77002CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (713) 655-0900
- Riverside Dialysis Center1.19 miles away3315 Delano Street Houston Texas 77004CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (713) 566-3900
- Summit Dialysis1.38 miles away3150 Polk Street Houston Texas 77003Dialysis Stations: 12 (713) 228-3500
- Fresenius Medical Care Museum District1.9 miles away4407 Yoakum Blvd Houston Texas 77006CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (713) 527-8436
- Med Center Dialysis2.15 miles away5610 Almeda Road Houston Texas 77004CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 72 (713) 520-6878
- Davita-Binz Home Training2.21 miles away1213 Herman Drive, Suite 180 Houston Texas 77004Dialysis Stations: 5 (713) 529-5155