St Joseph Medical Center is a very-small hospital-based nursing home located in Houston, Texas. It looks like this nursing home is one of the better nursing homes we looked at. A grade of this caliber requires very strong marks across the board. We simply can not say enough good things about this place. This nursing home's strong report card was highlighted by its short-term care grade, which we will address in the next section.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
St Joseph Medical Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Nov 1, 2018 by Nick Reese
1401 St Joseph Parkway,
Houston TX 77002
Note: Data for St Joseph Medical Center has not been updated recently. This page shows historical performance which may not be representitive of current service levels.
Get pricing and details on Houston senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- No Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- No Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Partnership
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Lymphedema Care
- Radiation Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Short-term Care Quality
On top of receiving a great overall grade, this nursing home also earned an excellent short-term care score, with a grade of A. Our short-term care grades are presumably more critical for residents in need of rehabilitation from their nursing home. Rehabilitation generally requires additional highly-skilled nursing services. This means not just nursing, but also physical and occupational therapy, as well as other variations of therapy. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear that this nursing home provided information on registered nurse or physical therapist staffing. The last measure we assessed in this area is the number of patients who eventually returned home from the nursing home. We found that 7.7 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home as opposed to remaining at the nursing home on a permanent basis.
Adding to its profile, this facility also earned a grade of B+ for its nursing rating. This is a well above average score in this category. Nursing ratings are primarily based on the nursing home's level of nurse staffing. This particular nursing home provided 0 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This facility performed very well when it comes to minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Does this page answer your questions about St Joseph Medical Center?
Turning to another of this facility's strengths, it also earned a very impressive inspection score. In that area, we awarded this nursing home an impressive grade of B+. Arguably the most critical factor we consider in calculating our inspection scores is deficiencies. These deficiencies can be found on a facility's inspection reports. Facilities with better scores in this category typically dodged the most severe deficiencies involving things like patient abuse. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
Turning to the next area, this nursing home received an extremely favorable long-term care rating. We awarded it a B+ in this category, completing one of our more impressive profiles. In a long-term care setting, the nursing home's primary goal is to maintain patients' quality of life and keep them safe. Once we looked at the quantity of care provided by aids and other staff, we turned to the nursing home's vaccination record. We were not able to find this facility's vaccination rates. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
St Joseph Medical Center Quality Metrics
Frequency Of ER Visits
In St Joseph Medical Center, 0 ER visits per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of long-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In St Joseph Medical Center, 11.91 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In St Joseph Medical Center, 66.29% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term stay patients that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. High levels of independence with activities of daily living generally correlates with better rehabilitation services.
Scores for Houston, TX
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Houston, Texas has 24 other nursing homes
- St Joseph Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.03 miles away1401 St. Joseph Parkway Houston Texas 77002Proprietary(713) 757-1000
- Park Plaza HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.22 miles away1313 Hermann Dr Houston Texas 77004Proprietary(713) 527-5019
- Memorial Hermann Texas Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.05 miles away6411 Fannin Houston Texas 77030Voluntary non-profit - Private(713) 704-3700
- Houston Methodist HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.32 miles away6565 Fannin Houston Texas 77030Voluntary non-profit - Private(713) 790-2221
- Texas Childrens HospChildrens 3.47 miles away6621 Fannin Street Houston Texas 77030Voluntary non-profit - Private(832) 824-1000
- Chi St Luke's Health Baylor College of Medicine MeAcute Care Hospitals 3.79 miles away7200 Cambridge, 11th Floor Houston Texas 77030Voluntary non-profit - Church(832) 355-1000
- Texas Orthopedic HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.23 miles away7401 South Main Street Houston Texas 77030Voluntary non-profit - Other(713) 799-8600
- Womans Hospital of Texas,TheAcute Care Hospitals 4.35 miles away7600 Fannin Houston Texas 77054Proprietary(713) 790-1234
- Us Renal Care Webster Dialysis0.12 miles away1914 Caroline Street Houston Texas 77002CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (713) 951-9328
- Seasons Dialysis0.16 miles away2000 Crawford Street Suite 777 Houston Texas 77002Dialysis Stations: 1 (713) 904-1756
- Downtown Houston Dialysis Center0.28 miles away2207 Crawford St Houston Texas 77002CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (713) 655-0900
- Riverside Dialysis Center1.19 miles away3315 Delano Street Houston Texas 77004CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (713) 566-3900
- Summit Dialysis1.38 miles away3150 Polk Street Houston Texas 77003Dialysis Stations: 12 (713) 228-3500
- Fresenius Medical Care Museum District1.9 miles away4407 Yoakum Blvd Houston Texas 77006CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (713) 527-8436
- Med Center Dialysis2.15 miles away5610 Almeda Road Houston Texas 77004CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 72 (713) 520-6878
- Davita-Binz Home Training2.21 miles away1213 Herman Drive, Suite 180 Houston Texas 77004Dialysis Stations: 5 (713) 529-5155