St Johns Pleasant Valley Hospital D/P Snf is one of a mere two nursing homes located in Camarillo, California. We gave it an overall grade of B-, which is a middle of the pack grade. We also want to point out that this nursing home is located in a hospital. Typically, this means that more intensive medical services are available. You should also take a look at this nursing home's category grades below. We discuss short-term care in the next section.
St Johns Pleasant Valley Hospital D/P Snf
Updated May 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
2309 Antonio Ave,
Camarillo CA 93010
71.51% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
We awarded this facility a grade of A- for our short-term care grade. This is far more impressive than the facility's overall grade. Short-term care grades are crucial for prospective residents seeking rehabilitation. Rehabilitation usually requires more highly-skilled nursing. Skilled nursing includes a broad scope of services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, as well as other forms of therapy. This facility is the gold standard in terms of skilled nursing staffing. In fact, it supplied approximately 50% more registered nurse and physical therapist hours per resident than the average nursing home. Finally, we looked at the percentage of residents that ultimately were able to return home from this nursing home. In addition to excelling in the area of physical therapy, we found that it performed as well as just about any nursing home with 73.5 percent of its residents returning home.
This nursing home also excelled in inspections, where it earned a grade of B+. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in computing our inspection scores. One critical factor is deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of the deficiencies is arguably more important than the quantity of deficiencies, as some deficiencies are quite insignificant. Although this nursing home had a few deficiencies on its report, none of them were severe based on CMS' deficiency scale. Keep in mind that deficiency-free inspection reports are rare in this industry.
Does this page answer your questions about St Johns Pleasant Valley Hospital D/P Snf?
We also gave this nursing home a decent score in the category of nursing care, with a grade of B-. The nursing grade considers a variety of subcategories. The most important variable is the amount of time nurses spent with patients. This facility provided 8.8 hours of nursing care per patient on a daily basis, which is among the better totals in California. A significant portion of those hours were provided by registered nurses, which are one of the more highly skilled levels of nurses. We were impressed by both of these figures. Lastly, our nursing score also includes some applicable quality measures. While this facility excelled in terms of quantity of nursing care, it lagged behind in certain subcategories that focused on quality. This facility's nursing grade was hurt by its weak data related to minimizing pressure ulcers. We found that 20.5 percent of this nursing home's residents suffered from pressure ulcers. Since many pressure ulcers could be avoided with proper nursing protocols, we reduce a nursing home's nursing score when we find this kind of frequency.
Long-term Care Quality
Turning to our final area, this nursing home really didn't fare very well. With a rock bottom grade of F in long-term care, this was this nursing home's weakest category. For long-term care residents, the facility's primary goal is to maintain patients' quality of life and keep them safe. After assessing nursing hours and other staffing provided by this facility, we next considered the nursing home's vaccination records. Due to its grade in this category, we were surprised to find that this facility performed reasonably well both of these subcategories. In fact, this nursing home vaccinated 100 percent of its patients against pneumonia, which is higher than the average nursing home. To our surprise, this facility also keeps its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had just 0.97 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days. Unfortunately, some of its other scores in this category were not as favorable as these.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
St Johns Pleasant Valley Hospital D/P Snf Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In St Johns Pleasant Valley Hospital D/P Snf, 7.63% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of residents that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, also known as bed sores, are routinely the result of patients not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In St Johns Pleasant Valley Hospital D/P Snf, 1.66% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of residents that suffered from a fall which resulted in severe injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In St Johns Pleasant Valley Hospital D/P Snf, 1.19% of Patients had UTIs
This statistic measures the percentage of long-term stay patients who have had UTI's. Although a higher rate of these infections may reflect poorly on a nursing home's cleanliness, it can be difficult to compare different nursing homes due to facilities having differing reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In St Johns Pleasant Valley Hospital D/P Snf, 9.98% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of patients who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic medications are given to patients for many conditions, such as dementia. Sadly, in some situations, increased usage of these drugs may indicate that a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In St Johns Pleasant Valley Hospital D/P Snf, 13.87% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of patients who were given antianxiety medications. These medications are prescribed to residents suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In St Johns Pleasant Valley Hospital D/P Snf, 4.32% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients who are exhibiting signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In St Johns Pleasant Valley Hospital D/P Snf, 96.21% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents who were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In St Johns Pleasant Valley Hospital D/P Snf, 8.35% Percentage of Patients
This is the percent of residents that required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of needing for assistance with activities of daily living could indicate the deterioration of a patient's medical condition.
In St Johns Pleasant Valley Hospital D/P Snf, 1.49 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric tracks the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In St Johns Pleasant Valley Hospital D/P Snf, 9.82 Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In St Johns Pleasant Valley Hospital D/P Snf, 79.69% Percentage of Resident
This is the percent of short-term residents who saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. High levels of autonomy with activities of daily living often correlates with successful rehabilitation.
- St Johns Pleasant Valley HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0 miles away2309 Antonio Ave Camarillo California 93010Voluntary non-profit - Church(805) 389-5800
- St Johns Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.15 miles away1600 N Rose Ave Oxnard California 93030Voluntary non-profit - Private(805) 988-2500
- Ventura County Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 13.75 miles away300 Hillmont Avenue Ventura California 93003Government - Local(805) 652-6075
- Community Memorial Hospital San BuenaventuraAcute Care Hospitals 13.85 miles away147 N Brent St Ventura California 93003Voluntary non-profit - Private(805) 652-5011
- Adventist Health Simi ValleyAcute Care Hospitals 15.89 miles away2975 N Sycamore Dr Simi Valley California 93065Voluntary non-profit - Church(805) 955-6000
- Ojai Valley Community HospitalCritical Access Hospitals 19.92 miles away1306 Maricopa Hwy Ojai California 93023Voluntary non-profit - Private(805) 640-2280
- Davita-Dialysis Center of Camarillo0.25 miles away2438 N. Ponderosa Drive, Suite C-101 Camarillo California 93010Dialysis Stations: 18 (805) 764-0171
- Fmc-Camarillo Dialysis Center3.4 miles away3801 Las Posas Road, Suite 103 Camarillo California 93010Dialysis Stations: 15 (805) 388-2449
- Davita-Oxnard Dialysis Center7.53 miles away1900 Outlet Center Dr. Oxnard California 93036CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (805) 278-3961
- Fmc-Santa Paula7.77 miles away242 E. Harvard Blvd. Santa Paula California 93060Dialysis Stations: 16 (805) 525-1500
- Fmc-Oxnard7.86 miles away1801 Holser Walk, Suite 310 Oxnard California 93030CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (805) 988-3339
- Fmc-Conejo Valley Renal Center8.1 miles away227 W. Janss Road, Suite 115 Thousand Oaks California 91360Dialysis Stations: 16 (805) 496-6071
- Davita-Dialysis Center of Santa Paula8.2 miles away253 March Street Santa Paula California 93060CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 10 (805) 525-3977
- Davita-Moorpark Dialysis Center9.08 miles away883 Patriot Drive, Suite C Moorpark California 93021Dialysis Stations: 20 (805) 517-1442