St Johnland Nursing Center is in Kings Park, New York, a city with 18,958 people. This nursing home was given an overall grade of B-, which is a solid rating. This nursing home has some things working in its favor. One of the highlights of this nursing home's report card is its strong inspection rating, which we will address in the next section.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
St Johnland Nursing Center
- Nursing Home
- Home Health Agency
- Assisted Living
- Adult Day Care
- Memory Care
Updated Nov 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Kings Park senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Other
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
To go along with its decent overall score, we gave this nursing home an A- for our inspections rating. This score is far better than the facility's overall score. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in calculating our inspection ratings. One of those factors is health deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of these deficiencies is arguably more important than the quantity of deficiencies, as some of these end up being quite insignificant. This facility was hit with 4 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none of the deficiencies were considered to be severe. This tells you that CMS did not consider any of the deficiencies an immediate threat to resident safety or health. Keep in mind that deficiency-free inspection reports are rare in the industry.
Short-term Care Quality
Another one of this nursing home's higher category scores was in the area of short-term care. In that category, we gave this facility a B. It actually performed better than most nursing homes in this area. In the category of short-term care, we seek to assess indicators of a nursing home's rehabilitation. We assess the nursing home's skilled nursing services, including the ones performed by registered nurses and physical and occupational therapists. Fortunately, it appear that this facility employs registered nurses. Not every facility employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, according to the data they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Finally, we looked at the number of patients that were able to return home from this facility. We found that 5.7 percent of this nursing home's residents were able to return home.
Does this page answer your questions about St Johnland Nursing Center?
Long-term Care Quality
The next best area we gave this nursing home in any area came in the category of long-term care, where we gave it a B-. Long-term care grades assess a nursing home's personal care instead of the skilled therapy or healthcare services that are critical to a skilled nursing facility. One of the factors we considered on top of nursing hours was vaccinations. Fortunately, this nursing home administered the pneumonia vaccine to 99 percent of its residents. This place keeps its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
The last category we rated is nursing, which was this nursing home's least impressive category. We gave this nursing home a grade of D in that area. Sadly, this grade pulled down the facility's overall profile to a certain degree. Our nursing grade considers a number of data points. The most heavily weighted variable is the amount of time nurses spend with patients. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a much lower figure than we are used to seeing. To pair with its subpar totals in the area of nursing hours per resident, this facility also did not fare as well in the quality-based measures we looked at in computing our nursing grades. We looked at the percentage of patients sustaining pressure ulcers and major falls. This facility had more pressure ulcers and falls than the average nursing home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
St Johnland Nursing Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In St Johnland Nursing Center, 8.29% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of patients that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also referred to as bed sores, are often the result of residents not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing care limits the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In St Johnland Nursing Center, 3.43% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of residents who sustained a fall which resulted in severe injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In St Johnland Nursing Center, 3.09% of Patients had UTIs
This statistic measures the percent of long-term care residents who have sustained a UTI. While more infections could reflect poorly on a nursing home's hygiene protocols, it is problematic to compare between facilities due to inconsistent reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In St Johnland Nursing Center, 11.63% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic medications are given to patients for many medical conditions, including Alzheimer's or other dementias. Tragically, in limited cases, increased usage of these drugs may indicate a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In St Johnland Nursing Center, 16.24% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic indicates the percentage of long-term patients taking antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In St Johnland Nursing Center, 14.46% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients exhibiting depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In St Johnland Nursing Center, 99.24% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In St Johnland Nursing Center, 11.13% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In St Johnland Nursing Center, 10.69% of Residents
This metric tracks the percent of long-term care residents who were able to retain mobility. Many believe that mobility is vital to patients physical and mental health.
In St Johnland Nursing Center, 0.01 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In St Johnland Nursing Center, 10.69% of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In St Johnland Nursing Center, 6.78% of Patients
This is the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In St Johnland Nursing Center, 84.98% of Resident
This metric measures the percent of short-term stay patients that experienced functional improvements.
- St Catherine of Siena HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.59 miles away50 Route 25a Smithtown New York 11787Voluntary non-profit - Private(631) 862-3000
- Pilgrim Psychiatric CenterPsychiatric 7.29 miles away998 Crooked Hill Road Brentwood New York 11717Government - State(631) 761-3500
- Huntington HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.32 miles away270 Park Avenue Huntington New York 11743Voluntary non-profit - Private(631) 351-2000
- St Charles HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.9 miles away200 Belle Terre Road Port Jefferson New York 11777Voluntary non-profit - Private(631) 474-6000
- John T Mather Memorial Hospital of Port JeffersonAcute Care Hospitals 10.05 miles away75 North Country Road Port Jefferson New York 11777Voluntary non-profit - Private(631) 473-1320
- Southside HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.36 miles away301 East Main Street Bay Shore New York 11706Voluntary non-profit - Private(631) 968-3000
- Good Samaritan Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 14.57 miles away1000 Montauk Highway West Islip New York 11795Voluntary non-profit - Church(631) 376-3000
- Plainview HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.32 miles away888 Old Country Road Plainview New York 11803Voluntary non-profit - Private(516) 719-3000
- St. Catherine of Siena Med. Ctr2.5 miles away50 Route 25a Dialysis Unit Smithtown New York 11787CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (631) 862-3707
- Island Rehabilitative Services - Commack5.88 miles away68 Hauppauge Road Commack New York 11725CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (631) 715-2740
- Hauppauge Dialysis Center6.69 miles away30 Central Avenue Hauppauge New York 11788CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (631) 761-6605
- Stony Brook Kidney Center, Dci7.92 miles away26 Research Way East Setauket New York 11733CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (631) 444-0502
- Carillon Dialysis LLC8.36 miles away830 Park Avenue Huntington New York 11743Dialysis Stations: 8 (631) 630-0398
- Coram Dialysis Center8.4 miles away1500 Middle Country Road Centereach New York 11720Dialysis Stations: 16 (631) 716-8758
- Huntington Hospital9.32 miles away270 Park Avenue Dialysis Unit Huntington New York 11743Dialysis Stations: 7 (631) 351-2471
- Davita Huntington on Broadway Dialysis9.53 miles away256 Broadway Huntington Station New York 11746CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (631) 423-4320