St Johnland Nursing Center is in Kings Park, New York, a city with 18,958 people. This nursing home was given an overall grade of B-, which is a solid rating. This nursing home has some things working in its favor. One of the highlights of this nursing home's report card is its strong inspection rating, which we will address in the next section.
St Johnland Nursing Center
- Nursing Home
- Home Health Agency
- Assisted Living
- Adult Day Care
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
Registered Staff Hours
To go along with its decent overall score, we gave this nursing home an A- for our inspections rating. This score is far better than the facility's overall score. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in calculating our inspection ratings. One of those factors is health deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of these deficiencies is arguably more important than the quantity of deficiencies, as some of these end up being quite insignificant. This facility was hit with 4 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none of the deficiencies were considered to be severe. This tells you that CMS did not consider any of the deficiencies an immediate threat to resident safety or health. Keep in mind that deficiency-free inspection reports are rare in the industry.
Short-term Care Quality
Another one of this nursing home's higher category scores was in the area of short-term care. In that category, we gave this facility a B+. It actually performed better than most nursing homes in this area. In the category of short-term care, we seek to assess indicators of a nursing home's rehabilitation. We assess the nursing home's skilled nursing services, including the ones performed by registered nurses and physical and occupational therapists. Fortunately, it appear that this facility employs registered nurses. Not every facility employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, according to the data they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Finally, we looked at the number of patients that were able to return home from this facility. We found that 5.9 percent of this nursing home's residents were able to return home.
Does this page answer your questions about St Johnland Nursing Center?
Long-term Care Quality
We also gave this nursing home a positive score in long-term care. This nursing home received a B in this area, which happens to be one of our more favorable grades. Nursing homes that excel in long-term care tend to be well-staffed and provide extensive hands on care to patients. One of the criteria we considered after nursing hours was vaccines. This facility administered the pneumonia vaccine to 99.431816 percent of its residents. This is a great way to avoid unnecessary hospitalizations for the aged 65 and up population. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. It had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
The last category we rated is nursing. We awarded this nursing home a D in the area of nursing, making this the nursing home's worst category. Our nursing grade assesses the facility's level of nurse staffing. We factor in both the levels of training of those nurses as well as the quantity of hours spent with patients. This nursing home provides 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a much lower figure than we are used to seeing. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in calculating our nursing scores. This place performed well when it comes to avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls. Many consider these metrics to be measures of the quality of nursing care.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
St Johnland Nursing Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In St Johnland Nursing Center, 9.58% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of patients who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be an indicator of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, which are also known as bed sores, are routinely the result of residents staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In St Johnland Nursing Center, 3.04% of Patients had Serious Falls
This statistic is an indication of the percent of long-term patients which have sustained a fall which resulted in severe injury. We use this statistic in calculating our nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In St Johnland Nursing Center, 2.1% of Patients had UTIs
This statistic measures the percent of long-term care residents which sustained a UTI. UTI's may be a sign of a nursing home with worse hygiene protocols. Nevertheless, this statistic can be misleading for some facilities due to different reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In St Johnland Nursing Center, 11.59% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term residents that were prescribed antipsychotic medication. Excessive reliance on these medications may mean that a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents in scenarios where such drugs aren't medically required. Nevertheless, some nursing homes need to rely on these medications due to an increased number of patients suffering from Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In St Johnland Nursing Center, 13.3% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of residents who were given antianxiety medications. Antianxiety drugs are given to residents suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In St Johnland Nursing Center, 13.2% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients demonstrating depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In St Johnland Nursing Center, 91.26% of Patients
This is the percent of patients who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In St Johnland Nursing Center, 14.75% Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients who required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as taking medications and using the bathroom. Some believe this is a measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In St Johnland Nursing Center, 17.32% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents who were able to retain mobility.
In St Johnland Nursing Center, 1.31 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care. Avoiding the hospital is key to the physical health of patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In St Johnland Nursing Center, 17.32 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In St Johnland Nursing Center, 8.8 Percentage of Patients
This metric tracks the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In St Johnland Nursing Center, 75.07% Percentage of Resident
This metric is a measure of the percentage of short-term patients who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Some would argue that this is a reliable measure of a nursing home's rehabilitation services.
- St Catherine of Siena HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.59 miles away50 Route 25a Smithtown New York 11787Voluntary non-profit - Private(631) 862-3000
- Pilgrim Psychiatric CenterPsychiatric 7.29 miles away998 Crooked Hill Road Brentwood New York 11717Government - State(631) 761-3500
- Huntington HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.32 miles away270 Park Avenue Huntington New York 11743Voluntary non-profit - Private(631) 351-2000
- St Charles HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.9 miles away200 Belle Terre Road Port Jefferson New York 11777Voluntary non-profit - Private(631) 474-6000
- John T Mather Memorial Hospital of Port JeffersonAcute Care Hospitals 10.05 miles away75 North Country Road Port Jefferson New York 11777Voluntary non-profit - Private(631) 473-1320
- Southside HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.36 miles away301 East Main Street Bay Shore New York 11706Voluntary non-profit - Private(631) 968-3000
- Good Samaritan Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 14.57 miles away1000 Montauk Highway West Islip New York 11795Voluntary non-profit - Church(631) 376-3000
- Plainview HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.32 miles away888 Old Country Road Plainview New York 11803Voluntary non-profit - Private(516) 719-3000
- St. Catherine of Siena Med. Ctr2.5 miles away50 Route 25a Dialysis Unit Smithtown New York 11787CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (631) 862-3707
- Island Rehabilitative Services - Commack5.88 miles away68 Hauppauge Road Commack New York 11725CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (631) 715-2740
- Hauppauge Dialysis Center6.69 miles away30 Central Avenue Hauppauge New York 11788CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (631) 761-6605
- Stony Brook Kidney Center, Dci7.92 miles away26 Research Way East Setauket New York 11733CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (631) 444-0502
- Carillon Dialysis LLC8.36 miles away830 Park Avenue Huntington New York 11743Dialysis Stations: 8 (631) 630-0398
- Coram Dialysis Center8.4 miles away1500 Middle Country Road Centereach New York 11720Dialysis Stations: 16 (631) 716-8758
- Huntington Hospital9.32 miles away270 Park Avenue Dialysis Unit Huntington New York 11743Dialysis Stations: 7 (631) 351-2471
- Davita Huntington on Broadway Dialysis9.53 miles away256 Broadway Huntington Station New York 11746CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (631) 423-4320