St James Place Nursing Care Center is in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. The city has a multitude of nursing home options. This turns out to be a quality facility, with an overall grade of B+. This facility proved to be one of the better facilities in the city, which boasts a decent selection of nursing homes. This nursing home is stronger in some categories than others, but it didn't have any poor grades in any of the major categories discussed below. More information about these categories can be found below.
St James Place Nursing Care Center
- Nursing Home
- Home Health Agency
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
333 Lee Drive,
Baton Rouge LA 70808
65.22% estimated occupancy 1
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- No Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
Best Nursing Home in Louisiana Awards 2019
Top Nursing Home in Louisiana Awards 2020
Top Nursing Home in Louisiana Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
Long-term Care Quality
In addition to receiving a great overall grade, this facility also received an A+ long-term care grade. When nursing homes receive this type of score in long-term care it is typically a good sign for resident care and suggests that the facility is well-staffed with nurses aids. After considering the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we next considered the facility's vaccination statistics. This facility vaccinated 98.52217 percent of its residents for pneumonia. Vaccines are critical to keeping residents out of the hospital. Finally, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Turning to another one of this nursing home's strengths, it also earned a very impressive inspection score. Inspections proved to be one of its best category grades. We awarded this facility a grade of A. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in computing these inspection grades. One key factor is health deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of deficiencies is arguably more meaningful than the quantity of deficiencies, as some of these are relatively minor. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Does this page answer your questions about St James Place Nursing Care Center?
Short-term Care Quality
We also awarded this facility a solid grade in the category of short-term care, with a B-. In our short-term care grade, we strive to forge a valuable barometer for rehabilitation. In doing so, we look at a facility's scope of highly-skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as respiratory therapy. Unfortunately, we weren't able to locate information about this nursing home's registered nurse or physical therapy staffing. Finally, we assessed the number of residents who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 5.6 percent of this facility's patients returned home. At most facilities, closer to half of their residents are able to return home so this figure is below average.
The next area we scored is nursing, where this nursing home was given a grade of B-. Even though this proved to be its worst category score, this is still not a poor grade. Nursing grades are based in large part on nurse staffing levels. This nursing home averages just 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a very low figure. Finally, although this place got docked a bit for its nursing hours per resident, it excelled in some of our quality-based metrics. With less than five percent of its patients suffering from pressure ulcers, it did remarkably well in this area.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
St James Place Nursing Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In St James Place Nursing Care Center, 10% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of long-term stay patients who suffer from new or worsened pressure ulcers. Many experts believe that pressure ulcers are an indicator of the quality of nursing care a nursing home provides.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In St James Place Nursing Care Center, 3.48% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint gauges the percentage of long-term patients who experienced falls which caused serious injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but high rates of major falls could be a sign of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In St James Place Nursing Care Center, 2.69% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of residents that sustained a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are routinely linked to worse hygiene protocols. Better nursing care limits the number likelihood of residents sustaining infections. Note that this statistic is sometimes skewed by the fact that facilities have incongruent reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In St James Place Nursing Care Center, 16.23% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This datapoint gauges the percentage of long-term residents who are administered antipsychotic drugs. Increased usage of these drugs may mean a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior in scenarios where such drugs aren't medically indicated. However, some facilities may need to rely more on these drugs due to an increased number of residents suffering from cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In St James Place Nursing Care Center, 22.29% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of residents who were given antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety medications are given to residents experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In St James Place Nursing Care Center, 1.51% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term stay residents who are exhibiting signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In St James Place Nursing Care Center, 85.51% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients that were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In St James Place Nursing Care Center, 19.03% Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as dressing and eating. Some experts would argue that this is a measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In St James Place Nursing Care Center, 13.75% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percent of residents that maintained mobility over time. Preserving mobility is often a great sign for residents' health.
In St James Place Nursing Care Center, 2.4 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In St James Place Nursing Care Center, 13.75 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care. There is generally a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In St James Place Nursing Care Center, 13.45 Percentage of Patients
Measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care. Avoiding emergency medical situations is one way to assess the well-being of patients during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In St James Place Nursing Care Center, 67.8% Percentage of Resident
This metric is a measure of the percent of short-term care patients that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Many in the industry argue that this is a measure of rehabilitation services.
Scores for Baton Rouge, LA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Baton Rouge, Louisiana has 10 other nursing homes
- Our Lady of the Lake Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.65 miles away5000 Hennessy Blvd Baton Rouge Louisiana 70808Voluntary non-profit - Church(225) 765-6565
- Baton Rouge General Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.56 miles away3600 Florida Blvd Baton Rouge Louisiana 70806Voluntary non-profit - Private(225) 387-7767
- Womans HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.52 miles away100 Woman's Way Baton Rouge Louisiana 70817Voluntary non-profit - Private(225) 927-1300
- Ochsner Medical Center - Baton RougeAcute Care Hospitals 9.73 miles away17000 Medical Center Dr Baton Rouge Louisiana 70816Voluntary non-profit - Private(225) 752-2470
- Lane Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 17.31 miles away6300 Main Street Zachary Louisiana 70791Government - Hospital District or Authority(225) 658-4000
- St James Behavioral Health Hospital, IncPsychiatric 17.9 miles away3136 South St Landry Road Gonzales Louisiana 70737Voluntary non-profit - Private(225) 647-7524
- Fmcna - Picardy Kidney Ctr2.75 miles away7638 Picardy Ave Ste A Baton Rouge Louisiana 70808Dialysis Stations: 20 (225) 766-5600
- Fkc - j.h. Lee Kidney Center2.82 miles away5348 Flanders Drive Baton Rouge Louisiana 70808Dialysis Stations: 17 (225) 766-3761
- Davita - Essen Lane Dialysis2.82 miles away7703 Picardy Ave Baton Rouge Louisiana 70808Dialysis Stations: 21 (225) 769-8669
- Fmcna - Greater Baton Rouge Home Program3.18 miles away5399 Mancuso Lane Baton Rouge Louisiana 70809Dialysis Stations: 15 (225) 819-2036
- Fmcna - Mancuso3.29 miles away4848 Mancuso Ln, Ste A Baton Rouge Louisiana 70809Dialysis Stations: 21 (225) 766-6773
- Fmcna - North Boulevard3.43 miles away2661 North Blvd Baton Rouge Louisiana 70806CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (225) 387-5777
- Davita - Mid City Dialysis3.55 miles away2902 Florida Blvd Baton Rouge Louisiana 70802Dialysis Stations: 13 (225) 766-0093
- Fmcna - Baton Rouge4.77 miles away524 Colonial Dr Baton Rouge Louisiana 70806Dialysis Stations: 20 (225) 927-3311